Stones Emphaisis on the Poison Theory

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

alexanders desciple

Stones Emphaisis on the Poison Theory

Post by alexanders desciple »

CompanionsWould I be correct in thinking Mr Stone will be focusing on my theory that Alexander was poinoned.I say that with the prominence of the character Cassander and the actor listed to play him, for the history and story of Alexander Cassander appears hardlay ever and really wouldnt belong in the screen play if he had not a prominent part to play.As I do believe Cassander did actually play a prominent part in the demise of Alexander and notice his listings, I can only assume that Oliver Stone sees this as part of his film and most likely his theory into Alexander death.I welcome this as seems the norm partucullally with Alexander fans it seems a sore subject even taboo to even think he was poisoned, I dont know why that is but the only reasonabele rational explanation is his death was puspicious, many reasons have been said why he died; Fever, Mysterious Malarian Ilness or even an accidental overdose.Why is it so unbelievable that the man was poisoned? to say he had punished his body etc was silly Parmenio was over 60 and still fit as an ox just for example?
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Stones Emphaisis on the Poison Theory

Post by beausefaless »

The poison theory to me is the most logical. Maybe most of the studiers of ATG in this forum just will not handle the thought. Alexander was in very good shape as his men look at what they achieved on foot. Every injury Alexander received was not life threading for this was proven by the recovery time and his physical accomplishments there after. As I've said before there was always someone for some reason who would love to take out a king, this was a common solution for the final solution and by the time Alexander reached Babylon the actions he took against a couple of his Generals (Cleitus, Parminion and offspring)in the past, Callisthenes just to name a few, I mean Alexander was on a kangaroo court roll and these people had friends. Remember when ATG was drinking he could care less what he had done to anyone if they didn't watch their mouth, but this is just my opinion.
alexandersdesciple

Post by alexandersdesciple »

AndrewThanks for your comments about the poison theory,I really thought it was just me, and as you say the poison theory is the only one based on logic.The others just dont add up,it really is strange why so many Alexandrians avoid this like its taboo.I really believe that if they find his boby my point will be proved.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I agree with you 100%. And I think Kassandros was prominent in Alexander's demise. In researching for my novel I've read some interesting things about Kass. that makes me believe he was a psychopath. He certainly had a mean streak and was Alexander's sworn enemy since their teens. Even his own father didn't trust or much care for him. And he was, in the end, responsible for the deaths of Alexander's mother, wife and legitmate heir, Alexander 1V and more than likely culpable in Herakle's death too.
At any rate, he's the 'villain' in my story.
alexanders desciple

Post by alexanders desciple »

Interesting to read you fel Cassander a phsychopath.Also regarding him as a sworn enemy,even if he were there really was nothing he could do to Alexander man to man.The programe that investigated Alexanders death discounted the poison theory saying it wasnt the Macedonian way.If what your sayingf is true and Cassander was indeed a phsycopath.the profile of them is somewhat cowardly the kill helpless vivtims or torture things that generally cant fight back.For example Phsychotic serial killers always choose to murder women or children and vary rarely murder men that would invariably offer more threat to themselves.In my opinon phsycopaths are generally cowards and self preservationists,for Cassander to kill Alexander with a dagger he would have been killed also,in addition phsychopaths are devious manipulative and clever.The profile fits someone who would indeed sceme and plot to poison our king,It would have also been a great insult to cassander when Alexander publically repremanded him for laughing at the Persian lifestyle.Thanks for your points and youir studies, its really becoming quite clear and really obvious that he was indeed poisoned, thanks
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I don't think the poison theory is the "only one based on logic" at all. I agree that there are some arguments as to why it might have been the case, but there are just as many to suggest that it was something else.I would hate to think that the poison theory is thought to be 'taboo'. Although I don't believe it myself, it's a perfectly valid theory and I would defend to the death your right to put it forward!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
gahauser
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by gahauser »

Though my book is fiction, I went with posioning as well. To me, it seemed so very possible, given the circumstances surrounding his death. Hey, unless you were at his bedside, no one will ever know for sure. http://www.authorga.com
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

To gahauser, I checked your website and find your p.o.v. fascinating. I'd love to read your book. Mine has a similar title "Shadow of the Lion".
But it's a multiple point of view and much of it in the p.o.v. of Alexander's young son. Good luck with yours. And thanks for your observations on the poison theory which I am sticking with, being encouraged by my interview with the prof. from the Society of Macedonian Studies in Thessaloniki a few years back when I was checking out my research. As you say, nobody REALLY knows. It's all speculation. And we historical-fiction writers can use the best of the research to make the most of the story.