Where's the Thread?

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

John.

Where's the Thread?

Post by John. »

Yesterday there was a thread on Aristotle and friendship/love. Now it's gone.Last time I saw it, there was a reply by Sikander (S) to one of my posts, but it only said "by S" and there was no link to click on to read the reply. Strange.I'm wondering if technical difficulties caused the whole thread to be lost, or... maybe the discussion got too heated? Or too spooky, since it was around Halloween and included souls and psychic vampires? (Psychic comes from the Greek word for soul, and Aristotle wrote a lecture called "On the Soul" ("Peri Psyche")). ANYway, I was curious to read responses, but NO!! And no explanations? The whole thread just vanished? Must be the Halloween ghost(s).John
H

To everyone......

Post by H »

I think the site has been experiencing technical difficulties. It kept throwing up SQL errors yesterday and several people have indicated they have had trouble getting on, getting their messages posted, etc.. I have had messages disappear, too, and I don't usually suspect deletion- unless I also had a feeling either my post or someone else's was starting to cross a line! The Aristotle and Love thread was an interesting one- would it be possible to get it started again? Do you remember what you posted, John?

As for deletions, I think for the most part that Nick, Susan, myself and others make an attempt to abide by the guidelines that Thomas set regarding the three primary causes for deletion. Those guidelines were set in the past and those who have been on this site a long time recall *why* they were set..and it has ensured that, unlike many forums, this one has remained fairly civil most of the time and that we have not got onto the "Black Lists" for foul language.The biggest problem with the Greek/Macedonian debate, for me personally, is the space it takes up. So much gets posted from both sides that the Alexander postings get pushed out of the picture. Yesterday I noticed that several interesting Alexander threads had been lost due to some of those lengthy off-topic posts. The Aristotle and Love thread may have been one of them. For those interested in the G/M debate, there are many sites easily reached where the arguments can be followed. I remember some of us once suggested a separate section be devoted to the Greek-Macedonian debate, or at least have a few links to some of the pages dedicated to it elsewhere, but the general feeling was that such a debate would *still* have to moderated to avoid the seemingly endless nationalism from both sides and the derogatory and foul remarks that could get the site banned (and we wanted to ensure the Pothos site was available to everyone). Debate over facts, we felt, was one thing- the endless "shock jock" style was another... and it seemed that inevitably, when people ran out of facts, they started using insults. There are other sites/forums/chatrooms/etc that allow the endless attacks; we did not want Pothos to be one of them. I know Thomas works on the site when he can, but there will be periods of time when glitches occur. Remember, folks, this is a free site paid for by Thomas and others to be enjoyed by all, "enjoy" being the key word here. Keep it friendly and on topic and you won't get deleted
nick
Somatophylax

Re:

Post by nick »

I have no clue where the Aristotle & love / friendship message went. I checked the Forum search option, but it's not there. Strange. Halil's explanation that it is a technical error might be just correct.However, I saw it fit to delete the first reply to John's question - because we simply do not abuse people on this Forum. Please keep it decent.(Apologies Halil, but I had to delete your first reply too, as I 'locked' the posting that had to be deleted.)Best regards -
Nick
John.

Re:

Post by John. »

Thanks for the reply, Nick. No doubt it was the Halloween goblins.John