The future of pothos.org (2007-8? version) + new server

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thomas
Site Admin

The future of pothos.org (2007-8? version) + new server

Post by Thomas »

Companions

The recent down time of pothos was (as usual) out of my control.

The hosts have had major problems recently as far as I can tell and I have already moved my other web site off their servers.

The problem with pothos.org is that the main site is written in archaic code that must run on Window web servers - this makes it hard to move to another site.

BUT - the forum can be moved anywhere, any time.

How would people feel about moving the forum to a new, more reliable server - you'd hardly notice the difference since the URL would not change.

The down side would be that the content of the site would not (immediately) be available. It would not be lost. In time a new, redesigned site would grow up using the old content.

I am pretty confident that this is the way to go. The current web hosts are not working well (hence the down time), and the google ads are paying enough to cover hosting on a different provider.

To see how the site could look, check out my other site (and current passion) www.freespiritsrowing.com - exact same forum software an the new content management system I would deploy.

See the this post for the latest update
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Thomas, you said that the content on the new site would not be immediately available. How long would it be missing? Do you feel it is absolutely necessary to move the forum to a new server; i.e., are we in danger of losing the archives or other content if we remain where we are? I’m on the forum daily (except for the occasional holiday) and I recall only two downtimes over quite a long period, so just how unreliable is the current server? And although you said we’d hardly notice the difference, what exactly does hardly mean? You said that the forum software would remain the same which is a good thing because I’m aware that many members are still getting comfortable with the present format and some have only recently learned how to “quote”, etc.

I realize that we have the money to move to a new server, but as I have little knowledge of computer programming – okay, I have NO knowledge whatsoever - I’d like to know if this is just an option or if you feel it may become a necessity? As it stands right now I can’t tell if this is something that we should poll our members about, or if the majority of us have insufficient technical knowledge to be able to make an informed decision.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Good questions.

1) We are not in danger of losing the archives on either server. But the backup options and support on the other server are more powerful and better in my view.
2) The forum would be identical - you would not notice the difference. In fact, I might have moved it already ;)*
3) The content of the main site is currently looked after through machinations of my own design. I was way ahead of my time when I wrote this code - should have sold it for profit! I cannot extend it in any way because I don't have the time any more and the backbone is archaic in internet terms. The technology (ASP or Active Server Pages) was superseded by ASP.NET in 2002 and there is no guarantee it will be supported for ever by our current hosts. The solution on a new site would be (hopefully!) future proof, more flexible and easier to work with. The new server would also be faster than the current ones.
5) How long the content would be missing is also a good question. There are about 100 articles as far as I can tell. Once the new site was set up moving them over to the new design would be relatively quick - just a question of making the time. I could of course get the site totally set up before moving the forum over. This is probably the way to go to be honest.
6) As for why I am thinking of this - the answer is simple. The other providers are better, faster, cheaper, more reliable and host several sites for me already. It simplifies things for me to keep everything together. Updating the content side of the site is inevitable - it has to happen one day or it will stop working altogether. I would rather move it calmly without pressure than in response to a "we are no longer supporting ASP" email!

Thomas

P.S. Of course "moving" is the wrong word to use. To you, it would only look like "redesigning" since the internet would seamlessly point you to the right web server. Many sites you go to will have "moved" over the years without you noticing.

* I haven't ;)
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Tantalus »

Thomas wrote: The other providers are better, faster, cheaper, more reliable and host several sites for me already. It simplifies things for me to keep everything together.
Those are reasons enough. Just do it! :)
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Thanks for the support :)

I have been playing with a design for the new content of the site (the forum would be identical).

You can see this here: http://pothos.william-powlett.net/content/

You can see that I have added some content from this site - it is pretty quick (just copy and paste) and I can slowly build up the site again.

As usual, constructive comments are welcome (please post below).

Remember, the forum will be identical - you will not be able to tell the difference.
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Paralus
Chiliarch

The Website Adso, save the website!

Post by Paralus »

To mangle Sean Connery's William of Baskerville!

Amyntoros, I can't decide whether you're becoming stodgy (a nice way of saying "old") or if you've become the "mother" of the forum!!! Whilst I too seem to have taken an adverse view of some change these days, eventually one just has to go with it...like me in six more sleeps

Thomas, though, I think is on the right track. The gremlins are in here and - like Spielberg's film - someone has fed them after midnight. Pre-emtive intervention of the Washington Shrubbery type is here, as opposed to elsewhere, indicated.

Thomas, will this 1) materially change the Ashes result; 2) Make Harmison bowl straighter; 3) Facillitate a forthcoming LBW from Rudy?

No, computers can't do everything....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Oh don't mention the cricket... :(
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Demo of how the forum will look (i.e. spot the difference) at

http://pothos.william-powlett.net/forum/

Obviously the message at the top can be ignored - only there to stop people getting confused!
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Those interested can see how the new site is shaping up...

It takes about 5 minutes to move an article over - and I will do a few a night.

Any existing authors who want access to the new site please send me a private message.

http://pothos.william-powlett.net/content/

(this is a new location in preparation for a future move)
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Paralus
Chiliarch

I say!

Post by Paralus »

Well I know I've been called a smart-arse before, but, by a computer?!

What pray tell is a"Smarty error"??
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Ah! I have got too big for my boots and deleted some seriously important files from the development server. Well spotted. Give me a moment.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Ooops. Fixed now.

The explanation is that I am setting up a development server (the one you see) and a "live" server (not set up yet). I had forgotten to stop the development server from looking at the "live" server for some of its important files, like, er, "smarty tags". These are the hidden code that make the new system work - and make it easy to maintain. If you are so inclined you can find out more here: http://smarty.php.net/
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: The Website Adso, save the website!

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:Amyntoros, I can't decide whether you're becoming stodgy (a nice way of saying "old") or if you've become the "mother" of the forum!!! Whilst I too seem to have taken an adverse view of some change these days, eventually one just has to go with it...like me in six more sleeps
Aaack! Neither stodgy or motherly, I hope, although I suppose I could be compensating on the maternal front for the fact that my real life experience is anything but normal. Anyway, I thought I was just asking questions that no one else seemed to want to raise. :)

And this settles it: I couldn’t decide whether to dress businesslike (which I can do) or slightly more eccentric when we meet. You’re definitely getting the latter now. Stodgy indeed! :twisted:

Best regards
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The future of pothos.org (2007 version)

Post by marcus »

Thomas wrote:Companions

The recent down time of pothos was (as usual) out of my control.

The hosts have had major problems recently as far as I can tell and I have already moved my other web site off their servers.

The problem with pothos.org is that the main site is written in archaic code that must run on Window web servers - this makes it hard to move to another site.

BUT - the forum can be moved anywhere, any time.

How would people feel about moving the forum to a new, more reliable server - you'd hardly notice the difference since the URL would not change.

The down side would be that the content of the site would not (immediately) be available. It would not be lost. In time a new, redesigned site would grow up using the old content.

I am pretty confident that this is the way to go. The current web hosts are not working well (hence the down time), and the google ads are paying enough to cover hosting on a different provider.

To see how the site could look, check out my other site (and current passion) www.freespiritsrowing.com - exact same forum software an the new content management system I would deploy.
Having been away, and therefore missed out on these discussions until late last night when I tried to concentrate on reading through the thread ... whatever, go for it! :D

So long as I can still have my editing rights ... :wink:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: The Website Adso, save the website!

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:So long as I can still have my editing rights ...
You have editing rights over moii?. And I, a scholar?

I'll just bet this has something to with my supposed misspelling of Thermopully, Thermopile, Tharyrimpley, Thramopolly or whatever in blue blazers I didn't - aparrently - get right. Hurrumph!

You don't watch out, I'll take my zyston and hoplon and hypaspist off home!
amyntoros wrote:And this settles it: I couldn’t decide whether to dress businesslike (which I can do) or slightly more eccentric when we meet. You’re definitely getting the latter now. Stodgy indeed!
Ah hah Amyntoros! That got a bite then! I shall have to dig out my seventies flared trousers, platform shoes and.....oh oh...what happened to the size twenty-eight waist??

I shall need a contact number lest I look for someone old and stodgy attempting to look like Mortisha Adams at the Algonquin…..

Happy New Year all. It's going off here at the present (11:50 pm). We've popular Lebanese music - Assi Hellani, Wael Kfoury, et al - warbling over the rooftops and the soundtrack of the recent Israel/Lebanon war banging and rumbling 'round the neighbourhood! Fireworks versions of cruise missiles and patriots are zoomin' and lightin' up all over.

Actually, just sounds like a slightly noisier night than normal where I live…
Paralus

Academia.edu