Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

The site has a large number of (rather crappy in my opinion) avatars. I have been looking for better ones and any help there from others would be appreciated.

To choose on of the preset ones, click on Profile at the top of the page when you are logged in and scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Avatar Control Panel". Scroll to the bottom and click the "Show Gallery" button. You can then choose the Avatar you want. The defaut is the "mildly abstract ones" (like this Image), but you can change the drop list, select Random Avatars at the top and get zillions of others.

You can also upload any picture you like - it just needs to be quite small - 80 x 80 pixels. There are many editors around that can do that job and I can't really second guess what sort of PC or software you have!

My daughter wants breakfast so need to go. :wink:
Last edited by Thomas on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Avatars

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Site Admin

Well, you have several options...

Post by Thomas »

At least you found option (A).

For editing and uploading your own I need a tiny clue about which sort of computer you use - mac? windows? linux? and tell me which application opens up when you open the image you want to crop/resize. That would be a start - I might be able to help from there.

Otherwise it is a bit difficult to second-guess and give any sort of help. 8)
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Well, you have several options...

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcus
Somatophylax

Is this any help

Post by marcus »

I was unable to do it initially, then I realised that I needed to crop my picture and reduce it in size to the 80x80 pixels size. I did this in Paint.

1. First I selected a (roughly) square bit of my picture, using the cropping option.
2. Then, still in Paint, I did <Image> - <stretch/skew> and kept reducing it until I had it at the right size (I looked at <Image> - <Attributes> to check the size of the picture).
3. Then, when I went into my Profile on this forum, I was able to upload the new avatar without any problems.

Not the greatest description of my process, but it might help, Andrew.

Cheers
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Is this any help

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcus
Somatophylax

Hope it helps

Post by marcus »

I just hope that it was of some help, Andrew.

I think I get more pleasure looking at people's avatars than I do from reading most of the posts - what a saddo I am! Looking forward to seeing what you use ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Thomas
Site Admin

Re: Is this any help

Post by Thomas »

beausefaless wrote:Thank you Marcus
regards, Andrew
And the last step is uploading it to this site:
  1. Make sure you know where the picture is located - lets say is My Pictures\avatar.jpg;
  2. Click the Profile link above;
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Avatar control panel;
  4. In the Upload Avatar from your machine:[/] section click the [Browse...] button;
  5. Then in the window that pops up find your image in the location from step (1);
  6. Click [Open]
  7. Click [Submit] and then, assuming you have an 80 x 80 image it should appear magically in your profile section and next to all your posts!

Good luck - I look forward to seeing the results.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Hope it helps

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcus
Somatophylax

Looks good!

Post by marcus »

Hey, Andrew - nice one.

I rather like that - is it an album cover?

I know that I'm going to be tempted to change mine every so often - so many good pictures, not enough time! :lol:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK