Is it time for a forum upgrade?

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thomas
Site Admin

Is it time for a forum upgrade?

Post by Thomas »

A while ago I suggested moving the whole site to a new format (php-nuke). There were howls of protest and I dove for cover. For two years.I now find that I am nostalgic for the site's look and feel, but the forum is looking a bit past it. It is based on inferior technology that is out of date.I am thinking about *just* updating the forum. Don't panic. I have set up a test site (see http://www.pothos.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=1) and which you might like to try and log in to and give me some (polite - I am still scarred) feedback.Cons:- We lose this exact look and feel.- We lost the multi-threading (ability to go through different paths in a post.- Because it is a "known" piece of software it is more likely to be hacked though this is a small risk.
Pros:+ enormous power (mwah ha ha ha ha haaaaaa)+ ability to have more than one forum (places for discussion about the different themes in this place)+ I don't maintain the code - I just upgrade+ avatars, hot topics etc. etc.
Let me know. But please be gentle.Thomas (ducking)
Efstathios

Re: Is it time for a forum upgrade?

Post by Efstathios »

Thomas i agree with you the forum needs an upgrade.I was going to make a post about this.This forum is nice,but it has limited potentials.The threads cannot have many replies and you must start a new thread in order to continue.Plus the fact that i always have to manually relog every time i want to post. I registered to the new forum and it looks nice.I hope they others will like it too.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

I noticed the re-logging in bug too. It should "just work" and I am not sure why it does not.Thomas
Efstathios

Post by Efstathios »

Something with the cookie maybe.Anyway,as i said the php forum has many more options,it is more customizable and generally better.
Thomas
Site Admin

Please READ THIS before trying new forum...

Post by Thomas »

I have imported all the user IDs from this forum in to the new forum. You should be able to log in straight away. Hope that this makes it easier to try it out.It also means that you can have your OWN password for the first ever time. If you have forgotten it, email me or try the forgotten password option (assuming your email address has not changed).Thomas
Thomas
Site Admin

AND this one...

Post by Thomas »

I have updated the look and feel of the demonstration forum and even split out three seperate discussion areas ot show what is possible. See this link: http://www.pothos.org/phpbb2/Remember, your username and password should work right away (if you can remember them) and the demo forum can email you your password assuming that you have still got the same email address as when you joined.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: AND this one...

Post by Paralus »

G'day Thomas.This is the way to go mate! Just having a quick squiz. It seems it will allow access to threads no matter that they are a week or two old? (rather than search the archive).If so let's go for it.Paralus