Alexander the Mummy?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

gahauser
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander the Mummy?

Post by gahauser »

Dear Forum,
I've just returned from Egypt where I visited the Cairo Museum and the Pyramids of Giza.
Opinion there is that Alexander was mummified and buried in an unknown tomb in Alexandria.
Any views?G.A.Hauser
http://www.authorga.com
S

Re: Alexander the Mummy?

Post by S »

Greetings,I believe the full legend runs like this (and I do not verify nor disqualify anything, I am merely relating the legend): Alexander was mummified and brought to Alexandria where his body lay in view for a long time, with even Roman emperors visiting the King. At some point, when the Christians were burning and destroying anything connected to the pagan world, a secret sect, established in the time of Ptolemy and committed to protecting the body, removed same and hid it away (though one might wonder where they were when articles of ATG were taken and when gold objects were reportedly melted down?).Then, in recent times, a man claimed ( cannot recall his name, but it is documented elsewhere) to have discovered a secret chamber, resplendent with treasures, and a glass coffin in which a man lay in a well-preserved state. When he tried to retrace his steps and find the coffin, his markers had been destroyed and he was unable to find this burial chamber again. According to the myths, the secret sect, which still exists and continues to protect the King, spirited the body away and hid it anew - and will continue to do so until they are no longer charged with their particular duty.Tie this in with the legend that whoever holds the body holds the power of ATG and you can understand why there is still so much desire to find the body, so much arguing over who should "get" the body and so much mythology built around location of the body. And why I hope that it is long eroded into the waters, safe from human hands. Finding it would answer a few questions, but might well create more havoc- who, after all, could resist being the nation that held the body of ATG? With all we have seen recently and over the past decades, can we really believe that certain nations/people would resist laying claim to, and doing anything to get it?
And if anyone *did* find the body, would they truly announce it, or spirit the body away or claim it was someone else just so they could "have it"?
Seems it would create a few unsolvable problems...Regards,
Sikander
S

And of course...

Post by S »

the legend has one ending at Wadi Natrun,another at the Vatican, still another in Makedon proper..
so the legend continues.
Regards,
Sikander
blackajax1

Post by blackajax1 »

It's possible, but never really proven
Tre

Post by Tre »

Well this is how I have it.When Ptolemy intially took the body, he interred it at Memphis (this Tomb has not been found), most likely because it could be safely guarded there until a proper place could be built for it in Alexandria, which Ptolemy intended as the center of his empire. Eventually he was interred in the Soma along with the body of Ptolemy and his descendents. Great honor was paid the deceased King in Alexandria. However, much later, one of the nuty Ptolemies melted down the gold coffin and by doing so enraged the Alexandrians, who had a glass coffin made where his body was placed. Subsequently we hear that Caligula took his breastplate, Augustus placed a crown upon his head an accidentally broke his nose, etc. etc. For some time he was a great tourist attraction. Accounts of his Tomb disappear from the literature. No one knows particularly where the Soma used to be as modern Alexandria is quite different from Ancient Alexandria. There are those who say the Tomb was destroyed (Cleopatra apparently looted it toward the end), but more likely it was buried in an earthquake. Rumor has it, a church was built over the tomb which was later destroyed and had a mosque built over it - the oldest Mosque in the city. Naturally there is no excavation permitted. Recent excavations in Alexandria have revealed a city of the dead, but construction is proceeding at such a fast pace, many things are in danger of being destroyed in the effort to build.There have been those who claimed to have seen it - one guy seeing bones wrapped in a red cloth et al, but I wouldn't place much faith in such stories. The climate in Alexandria is not conducive to preservation of mummies.Regards,TrePS there is an excellent website on the net if you do a search, on the search for the tomb and its history.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Perhaps it was me who started the 'legend' of the Vatican because once I mentioned on this forum that I'd had a dream that the Romans had taken it and that it was hidden in the Vatican. ("Whoever holds the body holds the power", as they used to say) Anyway, an interesting thought, eh?
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

The website on the tomb is http://www.greece.org/alexandria/alexan ... ndros.html
and there are photos of the crypt at the Nebi Daniel mosque on this (pothos) site, which my son took last year. Alexander's body is meant to be behind the bricked-up wall.http://www.pothos.org/alexander.asp?par ... %20Surveys
Susan
S

Post by S »

Greetings Ruthaki,Never fear, that rumour cannot be laid at your feet! It has been going around for a long time now.Regards,
Sikander