Olympias and her names.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

Olympias and her names.

Post by dean »

Hi,

Been reading an excellent historical novel by a Spanish writer, Santiago Posteguillo about Julius Caesar.
Throughout the book there are many references to Alexander. The antagonist in the book is the Macedonian governor Dollabella and a fine piece of work he is too.

In the book it mentions a detail about Olympias that Iknew vaguely about as one of the characters in the book is called Myrtale.
In the same section the author mentions Olympias had a total of 4 names.
Could anyone direct me to the source of this and/or a good reference on Olympias?

Cheers!!!!
Best regards
carpe diem
Sunflower

Re: Olympias and her names.

Post by Sunflower »

The business of her four names can be found in Plutarch's Moralia 401:
Thus the mother of Alexander, whose true name was Polyxena, was afterwards called Myrtale, then Olympias, and Stratonice.
I think something is also mentioned in Justin, but I'm not too sure on that. Elizabeth Carney's Olympias has more information on the subject.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Hi and welcome. It is wonderful to see so many new (and old) people popping up here!
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hey, yes but not too old!!! :wink:

Anyways, thanks for the reference.

One usually thinks of people as generally having one name and that it is fixed pretty much for life but with Olympias it doesn't seem to have been the case.

Although there are many famous examples I suppose- Octavius and August Caesar- one that instantly comes to mind.

Will definitely check out the book by Carney,
best regards,
carpe diem