Andecdote about Alexander purchasing female musician..

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Andecdote about Alexander purchasing female musician..

Post by lysis56 »

I cannot locate my research on this, but it seems I have come across an account somewhere, that Alexander may have purchased a female musician, a harp player, for a large amount of money. If anyone is familiar with this account, would you please post the source. It would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

Lysis
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Andecdote about Alexander purchasing female musician..

Post by agesilaos »

There is this from 'The sayings of Alexander and Philip' by Plutarch
19. When Antipatrides brought to dinner a beautiful harp-player, Alexander, stirred to love at the sight of her, asked Antipatrides whether he happened to be at all in love with the girl; and when he admitted that he was, Alexander said, “You abominable wretch! Please take her away from here at once.
Thought it was in the life but have not found it...yet.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Andecdote about Alexander purchasing female musician..

Post by lysis56 »

Agesilioas, thank you for that much, I appreciate it. I don't think I'm imagining the passage I am thinking of, but who knows. I cannot find my research notes, a drawback of moving. I seem to recall something about his paying something like ten talents, for the female musician. I recall she was a harpist. Perhaps I've gotten it mixed up with Boukepahlos. I recall I got into a discussion about this particular passage with someone on line years ago. Neither of us could quite believe he would have paid ten talents for a female musician, but who knows. I am still looking...Athenaeus perhaps? I have to go back and read some more. I swear I will find it!

Seems like Alexander was always enchanted with musicans, dancing girls and pretty boys who were in "love" with their masters or their masters in love with them. I have always wondered exactly which form of "love" he referred to when he asked about the subject of his interest since in his day the term love had so many different meanings. I would imagine sexual attraction, Aprhrodite Pandemos, rather than Aphrodite Urania -- which is how I've envisioned his relationship with Hephaistion. However, I have never thought him as a rakish type, even if he did have an eye for beauty. A lot of what has been written along these lines, I think needs be taken with a grain of salt. Such as his utilization of Darius' harim... Where would he have gotten the time? Nor would such activities seem in keeping with his personality. I suppose, in later years he might have indulged, but even then, I don't see it in him. His interests in war, conquests, etc., were where he poured his energy. And, maybe when not into that, into Hephaistion, maybe... and Bagoas. Ah, Bagoas, not a popular subject.