A solar observatory in the lion-hunt painting at Vergina

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: A solar observatory in the lion-hunt painting at Vergina

Post by system1988 »

amyntoros wrote:Received today a little booklet from The American School of Classical Studies at Athens, New and Forthcoming Publications 2012. No date for publication yet, but they show "Hunters, Heroes, Kings: The Frieze of Tomb II at Vergina" (AAAC 3) by Hallie M. Franks as forthcoming this year. The booklet shows a lovely painted recreation of the frieze, and the blurb is as follows:
This monograph considers the painted frieze on the facade of the Tomb II at Vergina (ca. 330-280 B.C.) as a visual document that offers vital evidence for the public self-stylings of Macedonian royalty in the era surrounding the reign of Alexander the Great. The hunting scene on the frieze reflects the construction of Macedonian royal identity through the appeal to specific and long-standing cultural traditions, which emerged, long before Alexander's reign, from a complex negotiation of claims to heroic and local dynastic pasts, regional ideals of kingship, and models of royal behavior provided by the East.
I haven't bought many books lately - just too many on my wishlist - but this one will definitely move to the top once it is published.

Best regards,
Thank you very much for this info. Because of our right as civil servants to being offered books of the American School of Classical Studies (but not all of them), I will check for the book in the months to come.

Best regards! :D
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: A solar observatory in the lion-hunt painting at Vergina

Post by Alexias »

I meant to post these ages ago but forgot. System1988 sent them to me some time back.
Copy3a.jpg
Copy3a.jpg (253.5 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
copy1a.jpg
copy1a.jpg (246.17 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Copy2a.jpg
Copy2a.jpg (245.58 KiB) Viewed 1383 times