exhibition in Madrid

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ariadne

exhibition in Madrid

Post by ariadne »

Hello !

There's many years since I have not posted in this forum....Partly beacause of my bad english...

I 'd wanted to know if somebody here I've seen the exihibition "Alejandro Magno : encuentra con el Oriente" in Madrid, where I was infortunatly not able to go. It has closed yesterday.
Please, tell me if I have missed something fabulous !

For information, there'll be another exhibition about ancient Macedonia, in Paris this autumn, that i will not miss !

Adding the one in Amsterdam which has closed in april, there were 3 greats exhibs on ATG in Europe this year, that seems exceptionnal ! What happens ?

Bye
Ariadne
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: exhibition in Madrid

Post by marcus »

ariadne wrote:Hello !

There's many years since I have not posted in this forum....Partly beacause of my bad english...

I 'd wanted to know if somebody here I've seen the exihibition "Alejandro Magno : encuentra con el Oriente" in Madrid, where I was infortunatly not able to go. It has closed yesterday.
Please, tell me if I have missed something fabulous !

For information, there'll be another exhibition about ancient Macedonia, in Paris this autumn, that i will not miss !

Adding the one in Amsterdam which has closed in april, there were 3 greats exhibs on ATG in Europe this year, that seems exceptionnal ! What happens ?

Bye
Ariadne
Hi Ariadne,

Nice to see you back on Pothos.

I wish I had known about the Madrid exhibition - then again, I wouldn't have been able to go.

I wonder whether the Paris exhibition will be the same as the one I went to a couple of weeks ago in Oxford: "From Heracles to Alexander the Great". That closes in Oxford on 31 August, so it could be the same one. If anyone can go to it, I certainly recommend it.

I wish I had been able to go to the Amsterdam one - that was the exhibition at the Hermitage. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me at the time (I couldn't afford to go), which is a real pity.

There do certainly appear to be a few exhibitions around at the moment. I she re-mention the current British Museum exhibition, as well, on Treasures from Afghanistan. Not all of it is "Alexander" related, as the closest to Alexander we get is with exhibits from Ai Khanum; but it was a fantastic exhibition, all the same.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks for this information about the exhibitions shown in Europe. Can you give more details about the exhibition to be seen in Paris? Where? When? Etc. Please do not feel that difficulties in English whether speaking or writing should keep you from continuing to communicate to others through this Pothos group. It is always wonderful to learn new things from one another, and your English was quite good in relating this message to us. However, I understand well what you are saying. I too avoid trying to use languages other than my own, and probably for the very same reasons. You have my sympathy. Jan :)
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I just checked to see when the exhibition will be held at the Louvre. The dates are from October 6, 2011 through January 1, 2012. Google search produced many different sources of information about this exhibition. It is called The Kingdom of Alexander the Great and will have have over 500 items gathered from museums and Macedonia. 668 items total is what was quoted at one site. So, yes, it is something fabulous, and you won't want to miss it. It was in Amsterdam and Madrid as well as St. Petersburg. Many of the obects are from the Hermitage in St. Petersburg one article said. There are also many comments made about the exhibition, and some are quite fascinating. I suggest that you google and find all the information that you will need to see this special event. Hopefully, it gives me another reason to return to Paris and the Louvre as I would like to see this too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D