Regime Change

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Regime Change

Post by bessusww »

I thought I would have a go with a new topic in view of Alexander...Darius and the modern things going on with regime changes.

I read with a lot of sceptisism the idea once Alexander defeated the Persian Empire...Some romantics like the idea Alexander would have been quite happy been king of kings whilst at the Same time it would be ok for Dariusto remain alive taking life easy somewhere in Alexanders empire?

I really cant for a moment imagine it working out...How can anyone proclaim to be Grand master if the man you beat up pretty bad is still alive...

Alexander was a warrior and indeed a clever politician...It served his purposes that Darius was indeed dead and above all it was a Persian that cut his throat...And therefore Alexander comes out whiter than white and can hold up a sacrificial people pleaser in the shape of Bessus.

In all the scenarios or outcomes that could become Darius i think a calculating Genius couldnt think of a better option than Alexander got there.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Regime Change

Post by Semiramis »

The foundation myth of the Achaemenid empire states that Cyrus, when he defeated Astyages, despite their history of animosity, he allowed Astyages to "retire" in a manner befitting his station and married his daughter. This is a nice story reconciling the Medians and Persians. However, there's an Babylonian tablet that claims Cyrus in fact had Astyages killed. This latter account is contemporary to the events, but as with everything else, full of propaganda and spin. I still tend to believe it more than the first story.

Now it seems Alexander was a bit of a fan of Cyrus. He would not have had access to the alternative Elamite account, just the Greek understanding of Cyrus' career. So, it's possible he wanted to emulate Cyrus and treat Darius in a similar fashion to how he believed Cyrus treated Astyages. It's also possible that Alexander historians wanted to create parallels between Alexander and Cyrus and enjoyed writing things that way. It is IMHO, most likely that Alexander couldn't permit Darius, Bessus, Spitamenes or any challenger to his throne to survive and become a rallying point for his opponents. I think the scenario you propose is the most reasonable one. Achaemenid blood went a long way in Persia during any conflict for the throne - hence the carefully planned marriages to the Achaemenid princesses.
bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Regime Change

Post by bessusww »

Semaris

Thanks for your very nice reply and opinion...I feel the romantic in me would love to believe a lot of the Nicer stories about Alexander and the way the heroic stories are abound.

However I like to think practical and understand,,And basically admit Alexander was foremost a warrior and battler Akin to his her Achilles...Who we may agree was a mythical hero...To say he was dipped in the River Stix to make him Impernable is unreal as most of the Homeric stories must be...Only we have evidence of Troy...It was a strategic hitting point for the Aegian and must assume it was attacked by the Greeks at some point.

Many Philosophers state Alexander as a fighter and a warrior,,Not so much credid or discredit as one may say is given to his Political head his cunning and manipulative streek.

Lets be honest he was the ultimate con artist...How long were the Greeks and Macedonians fooled into the idea of a Greek Conquest based on revenge...Where as in my opinion it was all about Alexander himself...His glory and his name to surpass those of all his Herioc Mythical heroes...Its fare to say Alexander did out do all these heroes in reality as in reality these heroes never existed.

I have no doubt he knew about Darius iminent death infact in his so called rusged persuit I think Alexander actually had a so called rest for a few days...He didnt need such a rest when Rushing from the Northern Extremity to be outside Thebes in a fast pace.

I feel Alexander had about every move covered apart from the unhappyness and nastyness his so called Companions felt towards him at the end.. As Andrew Chugg clearly states they were fighting like hungry Hyennas around his dead body.

Those people were no better nor any worse than warring peoples before...And it served no purpose at all for Darius been alive anywhere in Persia