logistics question

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

logistics question

Post by spitamenes »

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone here at Pothos. This is my first post and although I have dozens of questions that I know could easily be answered here, the one I'm concerned about is with logistics. I know I have read in the past about who all traveled with Alexander through persia and so on (curtius maybe?), and how it was basically a traveling city with everything from botanists and alchemists to athletes and musicians, and lord knows who else. Now my question is, does anyone have an idea if this travelling city was just a mob of people that could come and go as they pleased or would it be more secured through military supervision for the safety of the king and intergrity of the camaign itself? Also, have any of the main historians mentioned who was mainly in charge of the logistics and organization of the entire army? Was it alexander himself or would it have been entrusted to one of his generals? Thank you all for such a great site.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: logistics question

Post by marcus »

Hi Spitamenes,

Welcome to Pothos!

A good question, and one which I would love to have enough time this evening to ponder and give a proper response to. Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen this evening ... so for starters I would point you in the direction of Donald Engels' Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army.

I shall cogitate on this further and see what more useful, specific information I can come up with - and maybe others will come up with some more info sooner than I can contribute further.

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Re: logistics question

Post by spitamenes »

Thank you Marcus, for your reply. And I appreciate you taking extra time to ponder on the questions I have asked. I'm also very interested to get your personal opinions on the matter as well. I look forward to hearing what you have to say. And anyone elses input would be greatly appreciated too. Wonderful site everyone! Thanks a bunch!