The Greatest Greek!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The Greatest Greek!

Post by marcus »

Efstathios wrote:Alexander was voted as number 1 for two main reasons. Firstly because he is one the most intriguing and unique figures globally, for all the things he accomplished, and secondly because it is now a national matter with Skopja and all.
As you say, the whole concept is a nonsense. We of course had the "Greatest Briton" show, which was, again, a load of old rubbish. Princess Diana in the top 5? Utter rot.

But, as the only criterion that matters on a show such as that - universal recognition (hence the "nationalist pride" angle) - was always going to guarantee that Alexander "won". Heck, why did Stalin do so well in the Russian version, when he wasn't actually Russian, but Georgian? Nationalism can be very blind ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

A little like the plethora of "reality" (boot the other bloke) shows.

World's greatest Shiraz. Now, I'll volunteer as a taster....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:A little like the plethora of "reality" (boot the other bloke) shows.
The blight of our times, and a sad reflection on the state of the world. Darwin must be turning in his grave ...
Paralus wrote:World's greatest Shiraz. Now, I'll volunteer as a taster....
Ah, now you're talking ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Hello Paralus,
thank you for explaining about the furphy - interesting word!
But thank you even more for all these exciting and inspiring quotations about Pelopidas.
I won't forget his name again.
Epaminondas too, of course.
Fiona
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Interesting poll which only shows that if Alexander were in a democracy today that he would be elected handily. I suspect that all the polls are always slightly exaggerated and are never taken very seriously anyway, but it is a credit to him that he still reigns supreme in Greece.

I personally would choose him as an inspirational leader also due to a personal encounter that taught me a lesson about him. As many of you know I have spiritual images of him on occasion, and the occasion arose that really touched me a lot. Most of you recall when he was hit on the back of the head, and rendered unconscious, having also a broken shinbone of some kind with splinters...anyway, I was able to see him as I was having some personal difficulties of my own, and I had a vision of Alexander sitting on his reclining couch in the medical tent, suffering all this pain, but busy giving orders, taking over as though nothing was wrong with him, so full of vitality and stamina, exuberance and enthusiasm that it not only helped me to get through my own personal aches and pains, ( of the knees and legs) but made me realize how infectious his own good nature was. I would vote for him for that alone. :D
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

jan wrote:I was having some personal difficulties of my own...
Self evidently.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

8) The point is that while I was suffering from pains in the legs, and a form of mild depression, just having moved, that the experience of seeing Alexander so active, so full of intiative, exuberance, good cheer, and stamina while under stress caused me to come out of my own pain to overcome a tendency to self-pity, so that he was good medicine. I have never liked or appreciated Alexander so much as I did then, despite all the many occasions I have had to experience his being.

You know my first encounter with Alexander through a textbook made me dislike him immensely. But whether anyone likes it or not, psychic encounters often are much truer than other people's copies of what some other person who quoted some other person said. On and on it is all second hand; whereas, regression experiences are first hand and personal and often more valid than any other. You say nonsense! Little do you know! :D
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

jan wrote: ...psychic encounters often are much truer than other people's copies of what some other person who quoted some other person said. On and on it is all second hand....
Yes: one should always discount primary source material in favour of psychic "experiences". A much sounder hysterical method I agree.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Jan, it has been proven that regressions through hypnosis can cause the person to think that what he sees is real, although they might be just fantasies. Hypnosis was initially reject by Froyd for that reason. And now after so many years, scientists again say that past life memories could be nothing more than a person's fantasies, which he doesn't even realize that they are fantasies.

As far as psychic experiences, i can't say anything. Some would say that during periods of stress people can fantasize things that they can get strength from them, but i don't completely agree. After all if you are doing that, you know it's a fantasy. Those that don't are probably delusional and must seek councelling. But you said that this didn't happen only in periods of stress. So i am willing not to dismiss your experiences as fantasies, and leave open the possibility that you are actually seeing these things. The question here is if they are true visions or not. The mind plays lots of tricks, and i, a person that believes in God and miracles, and have seen things that you could describe as of divine origin, tell you this. So you may know that i am not biased, but just analyze what you see.
Last edited by Efstathios on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thank you, E, as I appreciate your comments, and often regret mentioning some of these experiences, but this one has made me appreciate the fact that there are many things about Alexander that are not recorded historically, for one must understand that the historian who at that time was most responsible for the records, was probably not aware of or even impressed with this kind of behaviour. You must remember the setting, the purpose of the vision as it occurred, as it came out of the blue so to speak, and the reason that I finally decided to put it in writing at this particular discussion group. It is because I realize the reason that Alexander's fame is so notoriously great amongst his own following in that time period, and how much it impacted me to see his attitude, his enthusiasm, his optimism, as it had a positive effect on me, and no doubt would have influenced all his followers then as well as today if any today even had knowledge of it. Most people in those conditions are naturally downcast, and it was his upbeat exhiliartion under the circumstances that inspired me so much.

Believe me, I am more scrupulous about these kind of experiences than any other person would be since it does reflect back on me, my psyche, and my reputation as well. I shared this because I truly believe that Alexander deserves just recognition for his good points.

My opinion of historical records is that they are political, they are controlled, they are full of propaganda, and they are carefully calculated and designed. Such events as this one assures me that spiritual records exist and are valid sources of information. But I remain skeptical as anyone else, and understand full well why one must.

Alexander is a positive role model and I am proud that Greece has selected to recognize that in him.
Alita
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Alita »

Stathi, you hit the nail on the head with your 2 points. I think, not only is there a big move towards admiring Alexander the Great in Greece and among Greeks now (his image is watermarked on every page of every Greek passport issued after 2005), but also, the business with Skopje would have made it look bad if Alexander wasn't chosen for number 1. It's sadly becoming a case of "I grabbed it first, so you can't" with FYROM. (Although, I can't understand why the people of FYROM would be upset over the results of the survey, seeing as those people weren't even around in Europe at the time of ancient Macedon and Alexander...) :roll:

To Jan- I understand what you say about the psychic images. I believe you are more sensitive to these things than most people. I once had a similar occurrence where my imagination (?) conjured up an image of Alexander and it gave me the push to carry on. It was intoxicating and I was and am grateful for it. If people can imagine bad things happening in the future, if they can scare themselves with paranoid ideas, why can't they use their imaginations/spirits for inspiration as well? Never feel ashamed or embarrassed for this wonderful gift you have! :D
First, be human.