Alexander the excellent

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Phalanx Pursos
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander the excellent

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

For those who don't know.

Darius I was called "Darius the great" because his empire was so big, Darius II was called "Darius the Bastard" by the Greeks because of the greatness of his empire. The Greeks disliked the Persians because their empire was so great and eager to expand, Darius III came with an army much greater in size than that of Alexander III of Macedon.

Alexander III of Macedon knew there was nothing excellent about greatness.

That is why Alexander the great should actually be known as Alexander the excellent, because Alexander III of Macedon once said; "I had rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent, than in the extent of my power of and dominion." Alexander the great was not a conqueror, but he conquered the conquerors.

All those tyrants who praise greatness of power and dominion are void.
Aristoteles;
"Friendship is essentially a partnership"
ImageImage
Tantalus

Re: Alexander the excellent

Post by Tantalus »

Phalanx Pursos wrote:...because Alexander III of Macedon once said; "I had rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent, than in the extent of my power of and dominion."
That quote is not familar to me. Google comes up with nothing. Where did you get it? It sounds like something from the movie or some historical fiction as opposed to being from one of the sources.
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Tantalus wrote: That quote is not familar to me.
How about this one;
"I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well."

Alexander the great was a very smart person, considering he defeated the super large armies of the Persians I think excellence describes him perfectly. Same with Constantine the great, for me he is called Constantine the magnificant.

People they just add the name "great" to someone for deeds of greatness & chivalry.

But Alexander the great's philosophy distinghuishes between greatness and excellence, meaning that you should rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent than in the extent of power & dominion.

Thanks for your reply.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

It’s from Plutarch’s Life of Alexander (7.10) The Loeb translation reads thus:
"Alexander, to Aristotle, greeting. Thou hast not done well to publish thy acroamatic doctrines; for in what shall I surpass other men if those doctrines wherein I have been trained are to be all men's common property? But I had rather excel in my acquaintance with the best things than in my power. Farewell."
I'm not sure about the other quote, except that it's listed on many of the amoebic Famous Quotes web pages. We had a thread earlier about the various sayings attributed to Alexander but I can't seem to find it.

I’m still wondering what to make of "Alexander the great was not a conqueror, but he conquered the conquerors." :?

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Phalanx Pursos wrote:For those who don't know.

Darius I was called "Darius the great" because his empire was so big, Darius II was called "Darius the Bastard" by the Greeks because of the greatness of his empire. The Greeks disliked the Persians because their empire was so great and eager to expand, Darius III came with an army much greater in size than that of Alexander III of Macedon.

Alexander III of Macedon knew there was nothing excellent about greatness.

That is why Alexander the great should actually be known as Alexander the excellent, because Alexander III of Macedon once said; "I had rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent, than in the extent of my power of and dominion." Alexander the great was not a conqueror, but he conquered the conquerors.

All those tyrants who praise greatness of power and dominion are void.
Perhaps when we call someone 'the Great' we simply mean that he or she is outstanding? Their reign, their achievements, outstrip those of their peers?
Of Alexander, his ambition to be 'excellent' in knowledge of excellence is a tribute to the greatness of his mind as well as his achievements, and I like to be reminded of this.
Fiona
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Phalanx Pursos wrote:
That is why Alexander the great should actually be known as Alexander the excellent,
I think Bill and Ted should find this an "excellent" idea!
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

smittysmitty wrote:
Phalanx Pursos wrote:
That is why Alexander the great should actually be known as Alexander the excellent,
I think Bill and Ted should find this an "excellent" idea!
Ah, Keanu Reeves as Alexander! Why didn't anyone think of that before? :D :lol: :wink:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

beausefaless wrote: Excellence(quality) is not an act, it is a habit

Aristotle
I admire Aristoteles, he should have sticked to; "the only stable state is one in which all men are equal before law" because I think he criticises himself with the natural slave theory.

Sorry people I just want equality.
Aristoteles;
ImageImage
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

This is why I wanted Gates of Fire to be released before "300". Damn you, Michael Mann!!! "Ali" over Leonidas?!?
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Phoebus wrote: "Ali" over Leonidas?!?
Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcuse me??!!??!!! :shock: The movie was average, but you can't knock "the greatest"!! :)
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Rocky Marciano was in that movie? :wink: