How do you describe/explain Alexander in <= 4 sentences?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

rjones2818
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

How do you describe/explain Alexander in <= 4 sentences?

Post by rjones2818 »

Hello,

I often have people wondering why I admire Alexander so much, I describe him as:

The most important person of a non-religious nature to ever walk the face of the earth, and of a religious nature I put him in the top five.

What short descriptions/explanations do you use to explain Alexander?
Thomas
Site Admin

My 2p's worth

Post by Thomas »

The most precocious leader of the ancient world who's influence still resonates today. A man who achieved through his deeds god-like status and then fell, like many powerful leaders, in to the trap of absolute power corrupting absolutely.

There, that should light a few flames <donning tin helmet>. :lol:
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
kennyxx

Sentences

Post by kennyxx »

A man as Close to ever been a god as any one.

Unbeateable.

First and foremost of the Great Comanders.

A legend.

Kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Kenny!

Was beginning to wonder where you'd got to mate!

Four sentences? Alright, IGÇÖll play. Here we go - not necessarily in order:

1) Battlefield commander par excellence - no comparison (did have tall shoulders to stand on though)

2) A strategist "outside the box" (take out the Persian navy by land)

3) The consummate GÇ£psychologicalGÇ¥ player at court politics who could be generous and ruthless in equal measure GÇô almost like the flip of a coin.

4) Ambitious and absolutely wilful to the point of cold blooded murder GÇô GÇ£judicialGÇ¥ and otherwise GÇô when thwarted.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote: 1) Battlefield commander par excellence - no comparison (did have tall shoulders to stand on though)

2) A strategist "outside the box" (take out the Persian navy by land)

3) The consummate GÇ£psychologicalGÇ¥ player at court politics who could be generous and ruthless in equal measure GÇô almost like the flip of a coin.

4) Ambitious and absolutely wilful to the point of cold blooded murder GÇô GÇ£judicialGÇ¥ and otherwise GÇô when thwarted.
Wouldn't have much beef with those four statements, myself. I would add the words "enigmatic" and "contradictory" somewhere, too; hmm, also "unfathomable". At one time I think I would have said "capricious", but actually I've revised my opinion - I don't think he was ever capricious (your point 4 is much better).

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
philalexandros

Post by philalexandros »

A genius and eternal legend are the two words to describe Alexander.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

philalexandros wrote:A genius and eternal legend are the two words to describe Alexander.

I hate to be a pedant, but isn't that three words? "genius" and "eternal legend"

Still, much better than 4 sentences.

How about "ruthless visionary" for two words?
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Thomas wrote:How about "ruthless visionary" for two words?
WeGÇÖre down to two words now? I thought it was difficult enough to define him in just four sentences! :)

Well, how about "charismatic conqueror"? I think no one would argue that Alexander was first and foremost a conqueror, yet his personality has also captivated people for over two thousand years GÇô even those who are not the slightest bit interested in military accomplishments.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
rjones2818

Re: Down to two words now....

Post by rjones2818 »

My Hero!

or

My God!

or

My inspiration!

etc.
jan
Strategos (general)

Audacious Alexander

Post by jan »

. For two words I believe that devoted genius is the most apt description of Alexander. His mental acuity is greater than any mankind can imagine which is why he was so successful in military and civil engineering

Glad to see Kenny posting again. :lol: . .
comprocky

Alexander was really great

Post by comprocky »

Alexander on of the great personality chosen by God.

Alexander was the only one person who was respected even by people whom he conquered. He was

the only person who looked human as human and not as different race. He never differentiated

among the greeks and non greeks. This is the reason why his own greek soldiers used to envy

him because he used to mix greek blood with non greeks. This is the reason why they always

use to conspire against him. A person like Alexander who looked upon all humans as equal

cannot never be a gay or enuch lover. If you look as per the psycological aspect of a gay

they are those people who cannot handle responsiblities they have characteristics of female

in them such people can never be a conqueror but Alexander was indeed a conqueror. He might

have given equal respect to a particular enuch probably he might have understood that this

particular enuch was more loyal then his own greek soldiers due to which he use to award

them. There is a general tendency of an individual when a particular person respect another

person the one does who envy try to create false stories against the generous person.

Sometimes in our day to day life we might have observed that if our boss favours a

particular individual some of us try to spread rumors against that favoured person because

of our own jealousy. This is the reason why his own soliders created the stories that

Alexander had relationship with the enuch. Even the same with his friend Hephaestion the

closet freind whom Alexander use to consider like brother was termed as lover of Alexander.

Hephaestion was the only person whom Alexander trusted he was not jealous of Alexander's

prosperity. He accompanied him since childhood and Alexander had not blood brother from his

own mother i am not refering to step brother of Alexander because he was born much later

when Alexander had already grown up, due to which he use to consider Hephaestion as his

emotional brother and not as gay partner which was purposely spread by his greek soldiers

who continously envyed Alexander's prosperity. It is not Alexander, not Hephaestion who had

written the history it was Alexander's greek traitor soldiers who had writtern the History

by misquoting the truth. They had Sabotaged his image by claiming him to be gay whereas

Alexander was a straight person if he was not then he wouldn't have married women and that

too he married a women belonging to different race and different social and economical

background this showed that he showed no differences among the people made by God. There is

one more reference where is also mentioned to have relationship with Euxenippus a young lad

just because he respected this lad this doen't means that he had an affair with the young

lad. Can you let me know how many Gays have such feeling of universal brotherhood and how

many can achieve that none of them. By calling Alexander a gay you are defaming the Image of

a Great and noble warrior. Can a gay tame a wild horse Bucephalu.

If father loves is son and a brother loved his brother more than other human who don't

belong to their family then that does not means that all of them are gays.

Hephaestion had married Drypetis another daughter of Darius III.

Alexander marries Roxane daughter of Bactrian nobleman Oxyartes; married by Alexander and

mother of his son Alexander IV, both killed ca. 310 by Cassander,

Alexander also marries Stateira II a persian princess daughter of daughter of Darius III

(Codomannus ). It is also said that Alexander also married Stateira who was mother of

Stateira II but this a confusion due to similar names of both mother and daughter.

Alexander actually married Stateira II daughter of Stateira and not Stateira herself.

In the battle of Hydaspes Alexander's horse Bucephalus was wounded and died. Alexander had

ridden Bucephalus into every one of his battles in Europe and Asia, so when it died he was

grief-stricken. He founded a city which he named Buckephalia, in his horse's name. Luckily

it is not be writtern that Alexander had sexual relations even with his horse Bucephalus.

Alexander even gave his enemy Darius a royal funeral. Such was great Alexander and not a

Gay.

Alexander also married Parysatis, daughter of the last 'really great' Persian King

Artaxerxes III Ochus

Alexander's mistress was Barsine who was his wife was daughter of Artabazus, the satrap of

Hellespontine Phrygia, and widow of Memnon of Rhodes. He gave this widow a shelter which

was consider taboo during those days of marrying a widow hence it was defamed by his own

soldiers. Herakles was the son of Alexander through Barsine. He never even enjoyed the whore

which his parents presented this show how great that person was who married only those who

loved him and not raped any women by force nor was he invovled in any affairs with womens,

mens or enuches.

Alexander is said to have conceived a child with the Indian Queen Cleophis of Massaga. Who

also was his wife, now in northern Pakistan. People generally don't accept the fact that a

woman can marry a foreigner or somebody who belonged to outcast due to which the claimed

this queen to be his whore. By marrying this widow he showed how kind hearted he was.

Alexander spent thirtheen nights with Thalestris, the Queen of the legendary female Amazon

warriors. This story is said to be a myth. But if it is true then he might have married her

rather just enjoying with females like dogs. He always showed respect to all species

belonging in this world.

His greek soldiers though accompanied him in war but they use to envy him. They always tried

to conspire against him. So it is obivious that they have defamed his Image by giving all

these bullshit and meaningless references. This is the reason why when he was poisoned he

never appointed any heir to this thorne, due to which his generals fought among themselves,

many died and only few survived and this way he took all the grudges against them. They

betrayed him who brought glory to them, so he made them fight amongst each other.

Some of the historians claim that homosexaulity was a common thing in Greece at that time,

this means that being a homosexual is not a cause of abuse in those days in Greece. Even in

one of the incident it was said that the greek soldiers themselves asked Alexander to kiss

enuch, then why did his greek soldiers always pointed that he practised homosexuality. Only

unusual things were always pointed out. That means Homosexuality was not a common thing in

ancient Greek only few exceptional assholes used to practised it. Hence it was a cause of

abuse. People used to call a person a homosexual if they wanted to abuse that person or show

disrespect towards him or if they envy his fame or if they feel that the person whome they

were accussing as gay use to give them less importance or if even non greeks are given equal

importance which they cannot tolerate. This was the only reason just to degrade Alexander's

selfrespect and self esteem, they used to call him a homosexual.

A homosexual asshole does has the ability to think of bringing different races people

together these people are not creative they are just indulged in enjoying sex and nothing

else whereas Alexander was ambitious he wanted that all human should be teated alike. Such

was Great Alexander and not a Gay or a Bisexual. He prefered marrying better than lust.

Some people say that he destoryed Persian Temples and all. This was uterly bullshit. NOte

that these are those people who once ruled most of the countries they themselves have looted

many egyptians and jewish treasures and when they their rule was overthrown they started

making these claiming. Alexander rather than looting them built many hospitals and schools

for these defeated people. If he wanted to enjoy all the loot then he would have stayed at

one place in persia and enjoyed all the loot from Persian kingdom but instead of doing so he

continued more towards east. Had any victorous king in past had ever helped any defeated

people like what Alexander did? rather, they suppressed and exploited the defeated people

and treated them as slaves. Alexander treated only corrupt people as salves and not the

innocent ones. Alexander was really great.

Alexander integrated foreigners (non-Macedonians, non-Greeks) into his army and

administration, leading some scholars to credit him with a "policy of fusion." He encouraged

marriage between his army and foreigners, and practiced it himself.

Also, note that Alexander was the first person to visualize all human beings of different

races and different tongue under one culture rather then creating a religion he believed in

a common culture. He visioned to bring all people under one roof and to some extent he was

sucessful such was that great individual whom we proudly call as Alexander the Great.

According to Droysen, the Hellenistic civilization was a fusion of Greek and Middle-Eastern

culture that eventually gave Christianity the opportunity to flourish. The main cultural

centers expanded from mainland Greece, to Pergamon, Rhodes, Antioch and Alexandria.

Hellenistic civilization:- Is not a religion nor entirely Greek Culture. It was the mixture

of all different cultures on the world known at that time. It does not honours

Homosexuality, rapeist or sex maniacs, but it was all about noble, brave and respectful

idea. Alexander did not had any mistress because if that was the case then he would'nt have

married the persian princess or a low caste lady. It shows that he respected females and he

was not a sex maniac or a desperate human being. He gave respect even to his enemies. He was

a true Gentleman.

Hellenistic culture is just like 'Bahai faith" in the modern world which is formed by

incorporating good things and eradicating evil concepts and practices of all the major and

minor religions currently practised in this world.

It was said that when he was about to conquer Jerusalem he was treated with respect by Jews

people due to which he humble respected them and did'nt even tried to occupy Jerusalem. This

proves that he would'nt have disrespected Persians Gods or their temple. He was not a

dacoit. Whereas the other kingdom that has ruled Jerusalem has always tried to exploit it.

A GAY cannot be a brave and Kindhearted like Alexander the Great. Gays are often womenish

kind of people who are weakhearted.

So brothers if anyone of you is a Brilliant Writer. Could you please rewrite Alexander's

Biography in your own words and clear out his Image?

Also, if possible try to create a movie on him glorifying his Image? Don't show that he had

mistresses and he was a homosexual or bisexaul, rather show that he had many wives and he

respected all of them. Showing Brotherly love between Alexander and his friend Hephaestion

and love of a father towards his son Euxenippus? And giving equal respect to all humans even

the enuch by promoting him better position in his goverment and not mating with a enuch.

Also, there should be disclaimer in this new movie that this movie is an attack on oliver

stone's Alexander movie for depicting Alexander as homosexual.

The following are the quotes of some websites which was giving reviews on the film of Oliver

Stone's Alexander mov:-

"Plutarch penned in his Moralia. De Alexandri magni fortuna aut virtute [Morals. About the

Virtue or Fortune of Alexander the Great], "States which never got to know Alexander were as

though they had never seen the light of the sun" and "If one were to judge from what

Alexander taught and did, he would verify that he was a philosopher."

The mighty Romans were the first people to name Alexander "Great." They deified him and not

only considered him a role model, but also embraced his life, as well as the arts and

sciences that he spread in the East. It was through the Romans that Greek civilization and

culture were transferred and established in the West. Thus western civilization was paved

and took roots in the western world. Chateaubriand wrote "If someone was compared to a god,

that was Alexander." The preceding quotation is not a casual comment.

Alexander's speech at Opis in 324 BC, otherwise known as Alexander's Oath, given about one

year before his death in the presence of 9,000 Greek and Asian officers, has become the

beacon of state leaders and international organizations in their route toward the third

millennium. The main points which he made in this speech are as follows:

GÇó Now that the wars are over, I wish you to find happiness through peace.

GÇó May all mortals live from now on in harmony, as one nation, for the sake of common

prosperity.

GÇó Consider the world as your country, with common laws, governed by men of merit, regardless

of race.

GÇó I do not distinguish between Greeks and barbarians, as do the narrow-minded.

GÇó I am not interested in the country or race of origin of people.

GÇó I only distinguish people according to their virtues.

GÇó To me every virtuous foreigner is Greek and each non-virtuous Greek is worse than a

barbarian.

GÇó If you are ever faced with differences, do not resort to arms, but resolve them

peacefully. If need be, I can act as your arbitrator.

GÇó God should not be viewed as an authoritarian ruler, but as our common father.

GÇó As for myself, I consider all persons, black or white, as equals.

GÇó I wish you to be my partners and not just members of our commonwealth.

GÇó As far as I am able, I shall see to it that all my promises come true.

GÇó Regard this oath as a symbol of love.

The oath at Opis conveys a message, which originated in Macedonia and has not been

emphasized enough. The message, emanating from Alexander's native land, was not to conquer

nations or to acquire riches, or even to satisfy rivalrous passions between nations, but to

unite all people with the bonds of peace, amalgamation and mutual communication.

Alexander's comments to Diogenes during their brief encounter in Corinth, his policy during

his expedition to the East, culminating with the oath at Opis and the historic statement,

recorded by Diodorus, that the "enemies were required by the conqueror to be happy," all

attest to the fact that Alexander's ambition was to civilize and not to conquer. Professor

Panagiotis Kanellopoulos, who is one of the most respected, well-read and broadly accepted

statesmen of Greece, writes that Alexander severely penalized those who abused the public

treasury or ill-treated the citizens of his commonwealth. Thus, knowledgeable sources and

scholars inform us that the young king respected the public treasury while remaining a

philanthropist.

Alexander never followed Aristotle's advice that he should treat the Greeks differently than

the non-Greeks. By respecting the traditions of the people he conquered, eliminating

discrimination and prejudice between conquerors and conquered, Alexander the Great elevated

the peoples he conquered from an economic, social and political point of view to a higher

echelon. That is the reason why Alexander, still today, is loved and respected by a

multitude of nations in the East and West and why various legends of different nationalities

claim Alexander as their own. Montesquieu, the great French political philosopher, wrote,

"When Alexander was gone, nations became orphans."

When Alexander was leaving Macedonia to undertake his expedition against the Persians, he

distributed his property and belongings. Alexander was asked what he would keep for himself

and his answer was that he would only keep "hope."

Jews throughout the centuries have been using the name Alexander. This has been in

accordance with their high priest's decision that "Alexander's name should remain in

eternity." The decision was taken because, when Alexander visited Jerusalem, her exhibited

respect towards the high priest and for the Jewish religious worship. It is said that when

the Jews of Jerusalem offered Alexander gold and silver, he refused to accept them; the

Jewish high priest told Alexander: "We serve only one God who created Heaven and Earth and

all visible and invisible things that no human being is able to explain." To this Alexander

replied, "As worthy worshippers of the true God, be in peace, for your God is my God and my

peace is your peace. I shall not treat you any different from the other nations, since you

serve the living God."

Alexander's behavior toward the relatives of Persian King Darius whom he had captured (his

mother, wife and children), was admired by all for the respect that he showed to these royal

family members. He did not treat the family of his opponent as a conqueror and as a mighty

king would treat enslaved subjects. Darius' mother came to love Alexander as her own son,

because in treating her with respect, the purity of his youth became evident to her. She

refused to abandon him when there was a plot that gave her the opportunity to escape. After

Alexander passed away, she went on a hunger fast for five days and committed suicide, as

Kanellopoulos writes.

It is not by chance that Mohammed the Prophet refers in the Koran to the double-horned King

(Alexander) as a prophet who has the ability to punish those committing injuries against

others and to reward the individuals who carry out good deeds.Buddhists consider Alexander

equal to God.

St. Nectarios, in his book, The Ecumenical Synods, writes "Hellenism spread by Alexander

paved the way for Christianity by Emperor Constantine the Great."

St. Vassilios the Great does not by chance present Alexander the Great as a role model of

self-discipline to young people.

Alexander is honored and will be honored and respected forever by the great religions of the

world. [Hollywood-style] scripts, therefore, and other attempts to blemish his personality,

are ineffective. Regardless of what has been mentioned above, common sense negates

allegations about Alexander's homosexuality or drinking habits. It would have been

impossible for Alexander to lead his army in such successful military campaigns, achieved by

no one preceding or following him, if these attributes were true.

Film scripts which attempt to portray Alexander the Great as a homosexual are of poor taste

and lack seriousness. Plutarch stated in his Moralia. De Alexandri magni fortuna aut virtute

[Morals. About the Virtue or Fortune of Alexander the Great]: "Let us bring up the deeds of

those who have generally been identified as philosophers and let us compare their deeds with

the deeds of Alexander. Philoxenus, his coast guard commander, wrote to Alexander that he

found in Ionia a very handsome boy, one that could be compared to none other in beauty, and

that if Alexander wanted the boy, he could send the youth to him. The king replied to him

bitterly and in a scolding fashion: 'Horrible man, have you known me up to now guilty of

such crimes? How dare you flatter me with such vile pleasures?'"

In this age of loss of direction and human dignity, we search for great men to guide and

inspire our youth and to elevate the quality of life. Falsification and degradation of the

personalities and statuses of long established heroes of history for political or

materialistic gains and minimization of their positive effectiveness is not only offensive

to every civilized human being, but is also a crime against humanity itself. In the case of

Alexander the Great, nothing undertaken by those who now wish to turn historical facts

around, in order to try and belittle him or tarnish his fame with unfounded claims, can

affect his grandeur and place in [world] history."

Apart from legends, today the fame of a historical figure is also determined by his

archaeological relics. Alexander fell an easy prey to unwary critics mainly due to two

factors; his image was tarnished by a vilification campaign launched by the Generals,1 who

poisoned him, and secondly there appears to be very little archeological evidence of his

historic voyage2. Sir Mortimer Wheeler wrote with a touch of sorrow,

The abundance of contradictory reports in Alexander's history is partly due to falsification

by the Generals. The shadows of Mazaeus and Orontobates do not belittle the greatness of

Alexander which has been acknowledged through the ages. However, he also had his share of

human weaknesses, but although much has been written about his so-called homosexual relation

with Hephaestion by Mary Renault and others, this does not seem to be based on hard

evidence. His frenzy after the death of Hephaestion

may be partly due to fear for his own life and partly because Hephaestion alone shared his

religious convictions. Alexander's role in Philip's death is far from clear and his slaying

of Clitus and his treatment of Callisthenes were avoidable yet not inhuman acts. However,

the breach with his compatriots may have been due to his re-interpret- ation of Hellenic

religion.

It was also said that "Sacred Band of Thebes" the group of homosexual assholes was destroyed

by Alexander the Great this proves that Alexander himself hated such type of homosexual

acts. Alexander vanquish such type of groups who practice homosexuality.

Please check these link:-

http://www.geocities.com/ranajitda/

http://sangha.net/messengers/alexander/questions.htm

Please read the following Article too:-

"Who's Who & What Happened When? November 23, 2004
by Mark Rose

A quick guide to the main characters in Alexander's life, and a basic chronology

We don't know how Oliver Stone is going to slice and dice history in his film, but the real

story is complicated enough in terms of people, events, and dates. To help you navigate the

story, here is ARCHAEOLOGY's guide to the most important characters and outline of the

chronology of Alexander's life."

http://www.archaeology.org/online/featu ... oswho.html
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Well, it's a good thing the thread limited a description to four sentences. Imagine the verbiage that will have resulted from, say, eight sentences?!

Don't believe I could wade through that amount of tosh.

Someone is channelling the Gost of Tarn. And, it appears, said ghost's opinions have mellowed over the deceased decades!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Well, it's a good thing the thread limited a description to four sentences. Imagine the verbiage that will have resulted from, say, eight sentences?!

Don't believe I could wade through that amount of tosh.

Someone is channelling the Gost of Tarn. And, it appears, said ghost's opinions have mellowed over the deceased decades!
I managed to wade through about a third of it, then realised that life is too short - I have a washing machine to watch going round.

:)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
rjones2818

On Dr. Pal's info from Comprocky

Post by rjones2818 »

I've not read Dr. Pal's book yet (I've ordered it), but the info on his web pages is very interesting. He looks at Alexander from an Indian standpoint, and seems to come to a very pro-Alexander viewpoint (which I happen to agree with).

If you're interested, try the webpage (there are several others that go along with it). If you want to try to purchase the book, try Amazon.co.uk - although my order has taken over 7 weeks and counting - for you can order through amazon.com for a used from $129.99.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: On Dr. Pal's info from Comprocky

Post by marcus »

rjones2818 wrote:I've not read Dr. Pal's book yet (I've ordered it), but the info on his web pages is very interesting. He looks at Alexander from an Indian standpoint, and seems to come to a very pro-Alexander viewpoint (which I happen to agree with).

If you're interested, try the webpage (there are several others that go along with it). If you want to try to purchase the book, try Amazon.co.uk - although my order has taken over 7 weeks and counting - for you can order through amazon.com for a used from $129.99.
Well, I don't know about Dr Pal's book, but I just looked at

http://sangha.net/messengers/alexander/questions.htm and some of it's a load of cobblers. Eg.

"Where is Alexander's tomb?"
"According to our sources it's in Syria" Er ... eh?
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK