Achaemenian Influence on the Argead Kingdom of Macedon.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Achaemenian Influence on the Argead Kingdom of Macedon.

Post by smittysmitty »

I'm about to present a paper in the next few weeks, titled 'Achaemenian Influence on the Argead Kingdom of Macedon', an have opted to run the first draft in brief via pothos. I would appreciate any comment you care to make as it may help me refine the presentation before it is due.The intent of the paper is to show that parallels between the Achaemenid monarchs of Persia and that of the Argead kings of Macedon were not analogues; but rather, as a result of direct contact and continued involvement with the "Achaemenid world", Argeads not only allied themselves to these Eastern monarchs but conciously sought to emulate their monarchical institutions as well as designs on empire.It is necessary to establish that contact as well as participation by Argeads within the Achaemenid world existed in order to support the premise of this paper, however due to nature of this site and with the intent of keeping people interested, only a brief survey of such contact will be included.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Achaemenian Influence on the Argead Kingdom of Macedon.

Post by smittysmitty »

Our earliest reference to the existence of an Argead kingdom, let alone a nation of Macedones, ironically, appears at the time of Darius I invasion of Europe c.513-512 B.C. Amyntas I, king of Macedon submits to Persian suzerainty through the traditional offering of 'earth and water' to the 'Great King' c.510 B.C. and it is this point that marks the begining of Macedon's historic period. The archaeology of Macedon's pre-history does little in the way of acknowledging the existence of an Argead kingdom and of the several reported kings leading up to, and including Amyntas I (? - 489 B.C.), no epigraphical, numismatic or material records are to be found.During the reign of Amyntas and his son Alexander I, these Argeads under Persian vassalage, fought wars together as allies, intermarried, as well as sought to restructure the political composition of the Balkans. Within a generation of Persian rule, whilst under the benefaction of Persia's kings, Argead Macedon rose from relative obscurity to becoming a significant power within a Balkan context. Indeed, during the reign of Alexander I, we witness for the first time coins being struck by a king of Macedon.Persias defeat at the hands of the Greeks in 480 B.C as well as the withdrawal of Persian troops from Europe in 479 B.C. need not infer the severing of ties between Macedon and Persia. Alexander still had an Achaemenid brother in law as well as a nephew who under Xerxes I was placed as an administrator of the Phrygian town of Alabanda. The assistance rendered to the Athenian fugitive Themistocles, in the form of safe passage through Macedon and eventual departure to Asia from Alexander's seaport Pydna, may also reflect a continued relationship both political as well as economic with the East.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

The next century of Argead history is poorly documented rendering it difficult to determine what relationship Macedon had within the Achaemenid world. With the better documented reign of Philip II, we again note the presence of official relations with Persia; furthermore we are informed of a number of individuals of Eastern descent choosing to reside at Philips court.The appearance of Persian embassies, representing satraps and perhaps the King himself were not uncommon during this period. Plutarch speaks of Persian ambassadors appearing at Philips court, and we also hear of the Egyptian satrap sending a high born Persian by the name of Sisines on an embassy to Philip. Arrian's rendition of a letter wriiten by Alexander, speaks of an alliance existing between Macedon and Persia. The Persian exile Manapis is known to have taken up residence in Macedon and later awarded the satrapy of Hyrcania during Alexander's Asian expedition. The Persian Satrap Artabazus along with his family would spend many years in residence at Philips court, and according to Athenaeus, the women of Artabazus' family were very influential in medising the womenfolk at Philip's court. Pixodarus, satrap-king of Caria proposed a military alliance with Philip which was to be formalised through the political marriage of their children. Aristander, a Carian soothsayer became a permanent fixture at both courts of Philip and his son Alexander. Aristotle himself spent several years in Asia Minor at th court of Hermias and on the island of Mytilene and was well accumstomed to the Achaemenian world. A boyhood friend of Alexander's, Laomedon, spoke fluent Persian; perhaps an unremarkable talent, given the frequency of Persian involvement over the years.The accounts are numerous and only briefly touched upon in this thread, but essentailly, the exposure and invovement of Argeads with the Achaemenian world are indisputable.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

We shall now examine how Argeads chose to emulate Achaemenian royal practices, and their designs on empire - ultimately allowing them to supplant their long-standing Persian benefactors.With the reign of Alexander I, we hear for the first time that Argeads practiced polygamy, as did the Persian monarchs; for Alexander had at least two wives. What is clearly eveident, of the several pre- history Argead kings reported, amounting to two centuries of Argead rule, each king passed on the throne to his son in direct succession. In contrast, within a century of Alexander I reign, no fewer than twelve kings from five branches of royal family reigned. Incessant fighting between heirs and pretenders to the throne appears to be a characteristic intensified within polygamous dynasties as is evidenced by both Achaemenid and the historic Argead dynasties. This characteristic appears not to have been the case prior to Alexander I reign, reinforcing the belief that polygamous marriages among Argeads commenced during the reign of Alexander I and coincides with a period of Persian vassalage.
Unfortunately time to go - will post more later.
Any comments you would like to make are much appreciated.
cheers!
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Smitty ---Absolutely interesting. Please give us more!One remark: the Achaemenid dynasts were in general not polygamists. The only Persian king that, according to our sources, married several wives, was Darius I. There was a very practical reason for this: the old Royal line of Cyrus and Cambyses was dead, and the ties of the seven families (that supported Darius kingship) with the new line of the Royal house had to be secured.Other Achaemenids tended to marry one wife exclusively. (Alexander captured Statira at Issus and she was "the" wife of Darius III. Nowhere is there any indication of more "official wives" of Darius III.) It is true that the Persian kings had their quota of concubines, mistresses and other "women of the king" (a status later bestowed on Barsine in her relationship with Alexander), but they did not practice multiple marriages. The King-Queen bond in ancient Persia was an exclusive one.There is no example of polygamy like Philip II practised it in Achaemenid Persia. The assumption that polygamy was introduced in Macedon through Persian influence, must be reconsidered, I believe. The struggles for the throne in Persia, the rise of usurpers and pretenders, has to be explained through the Persian practice to intermarry within the family, with nieces, nephews, sisters etcetera. I would find it quite interesting to answer the question if these kind of incentuous marriages occured in Macedon al well? If so (which I doubt), could that be explained through Persian influence?Please continue!Regards ---Nick
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi Nick,
I'm rather short of time at the moment and unable to go into too much detail but yes you are right, there are some very practical reasons for Darius' several marriages - as is the case for all dynasties that are polygamous. The matter of wives and concubines is an area of much confusion and will be discussed later when I cover the issue of GÇÿbastard sonsGÇÖ and legitimate heirs to the throne.Although direct references are not forthcoming, an element of deduction is required to ascertain the presence of polygamy among Achaemenids. Most important however - is the time period of its introduction into Macedon - which coincides nicely with the period of Darius I; our most notable polygamist. I'll quickly real off some of my notes at hand and hope that will suffice for now.Check out Maria BrosiusGÇÖ 'Women in Ancient Persia'Hdt. [2.1.1] mentions Cassandane as Cyrus II wife. Ctesias [Ctes. FGrH 688 F 9(2) mentions another, Amytis, daughter of Astyages GÇô the attention drawn to two different women need not infer the accounts of these historians was incorrect GÇô rather, both marriages are perfectly plausible. Hdt. [1.135] states each Persian had several wives and a number of concubines supported by Strabo [15.3.17]Hdt [3.31.1.6] Cambyses married two of his sister.After Cambyses death, Bardiya took over the royal household including his wives.Several months later Darius (as you have mentioned) did the very same. Hdt [3.68.3]Artaxerxes III had at least two wives Val. Max. [9.2 ext.7], Curt. [3.13.13] and so did Darius III Arr. An. [7.4.4].; DS [17.107.6]; Plut.Alex.[70.3]
I hope to post some more in the next 24 hrs, time permitting. Thanks for the response I need that kind of feedback GÇô for IGÇÖm certain questions similarly will be asked on the day of presentation :(cheers !
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

It would appear among the many wives of both courts, inclusive of Persian concubines, the subject of legitimate and illegitimate heirs attests to the existence of of different grades amongst the spouses. Although this ranking process remains unclear, the impression of firstiranking wives among the Achaemenids is that they were of Persian descent and for the Argeads, Macedonian descent. The remaining wives/concubines appear to have rated lower and only in the event of non-reproduction of a male heir by higher ranked wives, did the opportunity of illegitimate or bastard sons become available for succession to the throne. A consequence of this dynamic meant the position and prestige of wives at court was dependant on the status of their sons both in Persia as in Macedon.It is well recognized that the Achaemenid kings adopted throne names. The prevalence of dynastic names among Achaemenid kings can be similarly noted among Argeads. Arguably, the purpose behind this courtly institution was to endorse and perpetuate the legitimacy of the clans right to rule. The occurence of dynastic names appears not to have been restricted to males of the royal line and instances are known where this occurs among females of both dynasties. Some evidence suggests patronymics adopted may relate to positions held at court. Once again, in cotrast, the use of ancestral names is not evident in the period of Macedon's pre-history. As mentioned earlier, Alexander Ist was the first king of Macedon to mint coins. On hus largest coin, an octodrachm depicts a horseman (presumably Alexander) carrying two spears, wearing a distinctive Macedonian hat encircled by a cloth diadem, while a dog runs under horse. No mention of Macedon appears on the coin, indicating the coin was not representative of Macedon as a nation but rather a symbol representing the king himself. The head apparel (although distinct from Persian type hats) and the addition of a cloth diadem are well atteseted amongst classical works as being part of Persian regalia. In addition, the motif of Alexander as "hunter-king" is very similar to that found on Achaemenid seals representing the Persian as "hunter-king". It would be a striking coincidence if we were to accept the royal insignia of head apparel and hunting motif as having developed independantly of each other. - given particularly to the two dynasts historical association.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Smitty,On the subject of Argead polygamy, according to Beth Carney (The Politics of Polygamy: Olympias, Alexander and the Murder of Philip, Historia 41 [1992] 169-89) there was no formalized ranking of wives GÇô no firstranking wife with others rated lower.GÇ£PhilipGÇÖs marriage to Olympias differed from modern marriages not only in motivation but in its context: it was polygamous. Olympias was neither the first nor the last of his seven wives. The fact that she was one of many wives affected OlympiasGÇÖ situation (and that of her son) in innumerable ways. Moreover, whereas Egyptian pharaohs, although even more enthusiastically polygamous than Macedonian monarchs, had chief wives so designated by title, no evidence confirms the existence of any such title or formalized position for a royal Macedonian wife. A variety of factors may have affected the status of royal wives, including the prominence of a womanGÇÖs family and the importance of the alliance which had caused her to become a wife, but the single most important factor was the production of male children. Indications that a royal father was treating a womanGÇÖs son as heir would dramatically enhance her status. By 340, and perhaps as early as 342, we know that Philip (although not obliged to by primogeniture or any other clearly established pattern of succession) had begun to make such indications about Alexander and continued to do so until the time of PhilipGÇÖs last marriage in midsummer or early fall of 337.GÇ¥Nothing *I* can add to that. :-)Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Military reforms based on the Persian model take place during the reign of Alexander I. Anaximenes informs us that "Alexander, having accustomed those of highest repute to ride, he gave the title of "Companions." - not dissimilar to Cyrus the Great's reorganization of Persia's nobility the "peers" or "equals-in-honour" into a cavalry command. Anaximenes continues" ""where as to the majority, i.e. the infantry "pezetaitoi", having divided them into companies and sections of ten and intending that each group having a share in the King's companionship should continue in their keenest". The organisation and rhetoric associated with the above statement mirrors Cyrus' reforms in arming and drilling the "commoners" in a newly implemented decimal system as well as elevating their status to "equals-in-honour". The position of "chiliarch", a title referring to a command of a thousand is said by Diodorus to have "first been brought to fame and honour by the Persian Kings". Although uncertain as to the time of it's introduction into Macedon, the institution of the Royal guard (hypaspists) can also be attributed to the Royal Persian military model. Persia's Royal guard, the "Immortals" consisted of 10,0000 lancers (doryphoroi), and from within this group, a further 1,000 men distinguished by their rank were chosen as the kings bodyguard (Melephoroi), and under the charge of a chiarch. Both groups were splendidly clothed , and to distinguish the bodyguard from the other ghuards, the butt of their spears were adorned with a golden pomegranate as opposed to the usual silver ones. These guards were entrusted with the task of protecting the King day and night- whether he be on campaign or at his court. They were required to be by his side when the king was giving audience and they were also responsible for taking care of the "royal robes". Similarly, Macedon's guard (hypaspists) numbering 3,000 also had an elite group numbering 1,000 strong and known as the "Agema" of the guard. The Macedonian kings bestowed purple hats and cloaks to their guard, as was considered the greatest honour a king could give. (another particularly Persian trait!) It was customary for the guard to wear thir purple when marching into battle. As a result of Alexander III successful campaign in Asia, the hypaspist received further adorned and allocated with silver shields, giving rise to their new title the "Argyraspids". A story is told, in order to gain the confidence of the Arg
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi Linda,Philips final marriage to a girl named Cleopatra appears to have created a great deal of friction at philips court. The reason being she was a Macedonian - and potentialy was in the position to produce a male heir to the throne which would have taken priority over all other heirs, including Alexander. The Attalus affair, and the claiming of Alexander as a bastard son: the departure of Alexander and his mother from Philip's court all indicate that some form of ranking existed.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Smitty,But that does beg the question: if a Macedonian wife and a purely Macedonian heir were so important, why did Philip wait so long to marry a Macedonian? I mean, Alexander was almost 20 and Olympias wasn't even Philip's first wife! I think that whole bastard thing was more likely the product of Attalus' wishful thinking and the departure of Alexander and Olympias was because of the insult and Philip's refusal to defend Alexander. It (marriage to a Macedonian) couldn't have been that big a threat or surely Alexander wouldn't have attended the wedding in the first place?ATBAmyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Yes - I don't think there was any 'legal' (or, say, common law) reason why Cleopatra's son would automatically usurp Alexander's place - not least when Alexander was almost 20, and infant (and childhood) mortality was always a potential problem. Attalus seemed to think that it would make a difference, and no doubt there would be factions; but the marriage to Cleopatra didn't, per se, indicate that Alexander was going to be put aside.ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK