Two exhibitions on the Achaemenids

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Two exhibitions on the Achaemenids

Post by amyntoros »

Here are two exhibitions on the Persian Achaemenid empire - and I've no chance of seeing either of them! The first is showing clay inscriptions found at Persepolis which are on display for the first time ever, and has already opened in Iran's National Museum http://heritage.chn.ir/en/news/?id=5324The second is the upcoming exhibit at the British Museum from 8th September to January 6th. I posted this information some time last year, but here's another "heads-up" to our lucky British and European Pothosians. Even more desirable, in my opinion, is the conference which will be held at the museum from 29th of September through October 1st. This is the site listing the call for papers:http://www.payvand.com/news/05/apr/1181.htmlThere have been discussions on Pothos on many of the subjects included under the topic headings: The role of women, the image of kingship, religion and burial, the army, and the interface between Persia and Greece. Note that none of the papers are yet confirmed - the final date for submission of abstracts was the 15th of May - but one way or another it should be an incredible conference. Anyone want to go and take notes? :-)The subject of gender studies is of particular interest to me. According to the site for the Iran exhibit: "The tablets show that working women of the Achaemenid era received wages and salaries three times those of the men holding similar job positions. Those working for the government also received child benefits and other extra benefits. Studies furthermore show that people in general enjoyed high salaries and wages."I knew that women in general had a higher status in Persia than in Greece, but I'm shocked by the above! To be honest, I didn't even realize that women were actually "employed" by the government. I wonder if that practice continued under Alexander and the Successors? Obviously, most women captives weren't given the same respect by the Macedonian army as was exhibited by both the Achaemenids and Alexander himself. Looks like the papers will generate plenty of food for thought. Does the British Museum normally publish papers after a conference? Someone please say yes!Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
abm
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Two exhibitions on the Achaemenids

Post by abm »

Hi Linda,I don't know anything about Persian women, but you mind find the answer to some of your questions in the following book and article (if you don't know them yet):Maria Brosius, Women in Ancient Persia (Oxford Classical Monographs), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1996. (reviewed in BMCR: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/1996/96.08.06.html)James L. OGÇÖNeil, GÇÿIranian wives and their roles in Macedonian royal courtsGÇÖ, Prudentia 34, 2002, 159-77.As for the publication of the proceedings, check this site: http://www.iranheritage.com/achaemenidc ... efault.htm
where you can read: "The organisers intend to publish the papers presented at the conference in a volume of proceedings. All papers submitted should therefore be of publishable quality and constitute new work. All delegates must commit to submit their papers for publication as part of the conference proceedings. The inclusion of papers in the volume of proceedings is at the discretion of the editors of the proceedings volume, who may require contributors to make changes to their submitted texts."regards,abm
nick
Somatophylax

the women

Post by nick »

Hi Linda ---When I created gaugamela.com in 2002 (it badly needs an update, I know, I know) my research convinced me that women in ancient Persia had a social and economical status that could not be compared to the backward position of females in the Greek world.In an article written for rozaneh.com I said that nowadays we tend to view the middle east as an example of repression of women. While, in fact, it was the Macedonian invasion of 334 BC that turned the clock back in ancient Persia.I suppose J.M. Cook, writer of the 1983 book "The Persian Empire" deserves the credits to be the first prominent scholar to stress the position of Persian women in a major publication.I also believe that most admirers of Alexander, driven by their perception of Alexander as a liberator of the east, tend to neglect the fact that the Macedonian conquest probably deteriorated the position of women. (As Cook points out: not only Royal women, also ordinary women who received proper wages.)And then, if you read Alexander's histories carefully, you will find many examples of the political, economic, even military role women played. Sisigambis interfered with Alexander's policy regarding the Uxians. Our sources are not very clear about the Roxane-Perdiccas scheme to kill Statira. And best of all: why were almost all the Persian Royal women present in a Royal tent at the battle of Issus?http://www.gaugamela.com/biografie/5.htmlRegards ---Nick
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks for the info - I remember well that you had told us about the Brit Mus expo ... and ever since I've been regularly checking the BM site, with no info. They might have it up, now ... I shall have to check. I can't wait!Shame I won't be able to go to the conference ... I'm going to be at college then and I don't think they'll let me have all that time off!ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Alexander,.Yes, I do know of Maria Brosius' book but I haven't purchased it yet - I keep exploring and researching more and more sub-topics so my wish-list for books grows exponentially. I think it is now time to shuffle the list and bring Maria's book to the fore. Thanks for reminding me.I wasn't familiar with O'Neil's article and I don't have access to a University Library, but I was able to find the publisher's website and have sent an inquiry about purchasing the back issue. So, thanks again. :-) Btw, I would love to see a page with a listing of all the journals that are cited on Pothos, with information such as websites, publishing addresses, telephone numbers, etc. If I really want an article I'm more than willing to purchase the journal, but sometimes the info can't be found, even with a Google search.Will you be going to the conference, by any chance?Best regards,Amyntoros.
Amyntoros

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: the women

Post by amyntoros »

Nice article Nick, even without any updates! :-) I suspect you are quite right that the Macedonian conquest probably deteriorated the position of Persian women, although I still think it can be proved, contrariwise, that the status of Greek/Macedonian women improved. I still haven't followed through with a study though - the past few months have been really busy and now that the summer is here and I have more free time I decided to tackle Olympias first, beginning by focusing on the worship of Dionysos at Philip's court. It's related to how Olympias is portrayed and whether or not there was conflict between her and Philip so early in their marriage. I hope to establish that there wasn't, but we'll see. . .Are you going to the conference? Now that Marcus won't be able to go I hope it doesn't mean that no Pothosian will attend. I'd give my right arm to be there. . .Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

amyntoros
Somatophylax

And now a new study. . .

Post by amyntoros »

Think it is appropriate to add the following to this thread since it again concerns the Achaemenid empire. Should be an especially interesting study when the results are compared with the boundaries of the empire under Alexander. However, the site also says that the research may take ten years to be completed! I shall be in my dotage before then. Well, almost. . . . :-)http://heritage.chn.ir/en/news/?id=5336"Tehran, 25 June 2005 (CHN) -- Ancient borders of Persian Empire under Achaemenid dynasty are going to be sketched 2200 years after the fall of the dynasty. Achaemenids ruled over a vast empire including today Iran and lots of other neighboring countries since the foundation of the dynasty by Cyrus the great in 570 BC until invasion of Alexander the Macedonian in 330 BC which consequently caused the fall of this dynasty.Experts are going to sketch geographical borders of Iran under Achaemenid dynasty in order to prepare a detailed map of the empire, which collapsed about 2200 years ago. This dynasty was founded by Cyrus the great in 570 BC and was terminated by Alexander the Macedonian invading Iran and dethroning Darius III some 300 years later. . . "Amyntoros
Amyntoros

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: And now a new study. . .

Post by marcus »

That should be very interesting. I do wonder whether it's really necessary, though, to study the border in such exactitude ...ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: And now a new study. . .

Post by amyntoros »

Ah Marcus, I don't think necessity is ever a factor. It's about how passionate you are over a project and whether you can get the funding! :-)
Amyntoros