I need your oppinions on this

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: I need your oppinions on this

Post by marcus »

Absolutely ... even with every sentence quoted from other posts repeated 3 or 4 times! :-)ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Perhaps a better word would be "socially acceptable" behaviour, rather than "norm" even though that is what started the whole discussion. And I would agree, certain social circumstances encourage "romantic" friendships which may or may not become sexual, and there is a huge range of behaviour in which humans may indulge.. I am still with Plato, on people being of one nature or another, but that doesn't mean that behaviour follows slavishly, or that this doesn't allow romantic feelings or whatever against the "nature"I do like saying "I'm with Plato... " :) Lidna
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I had to laugh - that last sentence made me think of those awful T-shirts that say "I'm with Stupid" on them ... yes, Plato is *definitely* preferable! :-)ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

But "preferable" doesn't mean right! THAT just means its where your comfortable. I think Jeanne and Sikander are probably closer to the truth, but I don't think that'll make much difference to where people stand on this issue because I think people will pretty much stay where they can feel comfortable at.I also have a BIG suspicion that Andrew's right! And that study Linda mentioned- I bet its truer than a lot of people would like to think!!! :-) Anyway, so I think its entirely possible that, in his world and time, Alexander could have engaged in
bi-sex no matter what Plato or Socrates said!!
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Marilyn,I agree with you - I think Alexander probably was "functionally bisexual". But I ha' ma doots that he was typical. Anyway.LI could have a teesirt printed "I.m with Marcus, too"...
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

"I agree with you - I think Alexander probably was "functionally bisexual". But I ha' ma doots that he was typical. Anyway."I'd agree- not "typical"- but that wouldn't necessarily mean his being bi was a sign that he was different from the majority, after all, it COULD
mean that he was not typical BECAUSE he was more self-limiting (like in not having a lot of by-blows-documented anyway and not having a lot of "boyfriends", and stuff but that doesn't mean not bi and it sure doesn't prove the Macedonians were as uptight than the Athenians )Mar
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Or perhaps "Ecce! Cum Marci Sum"?(Which could fall very flat if I've got my declension endings wrong!) :-)ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

In Greek surely...or Macedonian..Discuss. :)Marylin - I don't really know about whether there was a lot of "promiscuity" then, and polygamy woudl mean that the morality of what was good and bad was different also. But, yes, Alexander was considered restrained. And being bisexual is not a sign of promiscuity - one can be bisexual and celibate...L.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Anyway, That was then and it was different than now.
What's the big deal anyway? Alexander was Alexander. Do we hear the same discussions going on about others such as Hadrian who had notable young man lovers? I still say we can not put today's morals on yesterday's life-styles. And who was it who went around lopping off body parts and defacing those beautiful Greek statues? It was the early Christians.