List and data on Persian satrapies

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Romano Nero

List and data on Persian satrapies

Post by Romano Nero »

Hi all,I am Romano Nero and I frequent a history site called "All Empires". I was looking for data (and possibly a map) on how the Persian satrapies were arranged/divided/whatever just prior to Alexander's conquest.I asked for data in the appropriate "Iranian history" forum, but couldn't find help. Someone pointed me at this site, saying that you guys here are knowledgeable enough to aid me in my endeavour.What I am looking for is a list of the satrapies (with the corresponding satraps? and as much more data as possible) and perhaps a map. I would even more highly appreciate if someone could point me to accurate (as possible) demographic data on this area and time of the world.The only usefull thing I've found up to now, is the relevant description by Herodotus, but that's hardly enough (and 80 years too early too).Please, anyone able to provide me data on this? Links? Books?
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: List and data on Persian satrapies

Post by marcus »

Hi Romano,I can certainly help with this, but it depends on how quickly you need it. I could get you the information by the end of the week, but not in the next five minutes!To be honest, I'm not aware of any book that lists them; but I do have a list that my university lecturer gave me ...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Romano Nero

Post by Romano Nero »

Jona, Marcusthank you so much for you help. Jana, seems like the only list I can rely upon is the one by Arrian, since I want something as close as possible to 340 BC, correct?I am still seeking for a more detailed map, but I guess I'll come up with something.Marcus, I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with that data.Thank you both!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I'll see what I can do - give me a few days ...MArcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

You could try Encyclopaedia IRanica,no joke there is such a thing. I have used it before to research weaponary.http://www.iranica.com/
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Romano,I've got the list in an Excel spreadsheet. I'll send it to you later today.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
abm
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by abm »

there is also an ancient list of Diodorus, discussing the situation at Alexanders' death in book XVIII 5-6, which might be inspired by an official document [see H. KLINKOTT, GÇÿDiodors Reichsbeschreibung nach Alexanders Tod. Ist die Satrapienliste XVIII 5-6 ein persisches Dokument?GÇÖ, in K. BRODERSEN (ed.), Zwischen West und Ost. Studien zur Geschichte des Seleukidenreichs (Schriftenreihe zur Geschichtsforschung des Altertums 5), Hamburg 2000.]The most full discussion of satrapies in Alexander's time is H. KLINKOTT, Die Satrapienregister der Alexander- und Diadochenzeit (Historia Einzelschriften 145), Stuttgart 2000.R.A. BILLOWS, Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State (Hellenistic Culture and Society 4), Berkeley GÇô Los Angeles GÇô London 1990 gives a good map of the situation in the early years of the successors, which i can e-mail to you if you don't have acces to the book; just let me know.