"Talents"?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Vicky

"Talents"?

Post by Vicky »

Does anyone know how much a "talent" was worth? (i.e, Bucephalus cost 13 talents, etc.)If not, where could I find out?Thanks!
lala

talent worth..

Post by lala »

25kg of gold
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: talent worth..

Post by davej »

There was a gold talent but I think you really should be considering the Silver talent. If not otherwise specified the talent was silver and nearly 26 kilograms in weight.
kuringlas

How Much was ATG worth

Post by kuringlas »

In light of all the talent questions, how much was ATG worth or even Darius, in todays terms.
If a talent is 25/26 KG of Gold/Silver, then that would put them way ahead of Bill Gates,then i am affraid to ask. therfore in todays terms who would have been the richest? Who was the most powerful?
I am afraid to even attempt to calculate the numbers. I guess this is why ATG is well thought of in todays terms, he was the first to offer a pension to all his retired soliders.