Your opinion about Alexander the Great

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

thaleia

Your opinion about Alexander the Great

Post by thaleia »

Hello people..
I would like to know your opinion about Alexander the Great. I mean what do you think about his achievements, about his character etc. All this time we talk about certain events, certain situations from Alexander's life but in general you are for or against him?
I believe that the most suitable word for Alexander is : genius. Only a genius could manage to do what Alexander did. His achievements were considered unreachable in his time. No one else couldn't conquer the places that Alexander conquered because none could have the courage to face so many difficulties on his way. Moreover, he was the only one who left culture behind him and not disaster (with the exception of Persepolis).
I also think that the world genius justifies his strange, dark (how else can I say it?) side of character. He had passions (explosions of anger etc)like every genius has or had in the past. He was thinking with another way than the other people.
That's my opinion. I am looking forward to yours.
P/S: Forgive my english. English is not my native language so I can't speak it perfectly.
Thalestris

Re: Your opinion about Alexander the Great

Post by Thalestris »

Greetings Thaleia,Alexander to me...in one word for the purpose of brevity...*transcending*.Thalestris:-)
gahauser
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by gahauser »

A mixture of wonder and sadness. Wonder he achieved so much in so little time, and sadness he had died so young.GA
http://www.authorga.com
Peter Rose

Post by Peter Rose »

Alexander the Great was a genius. there haven't been many people who lived such an inspired life as he did. Not everything he did was right or acceptable. He was human in that sense - not as many people believe a diety. For a sensible, rationale assessment of his life and schievements go read the recent "Alexander the Great's Art of Strategy." It talks about ATG in a way that's grounded in reality and connects his achievements up with the way we approach life today.Pete
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Thaleia,Interesting set of questions.I would be surprised if anyone who takes part in this forum is against Alexander! :-)What I find interesting is the polarity that exists even amongst the 'for's - some people are more inclined to the "he could do no wrong", but it always seems to me that most of us have a fairly objective approach - we acknowledge his faults and the horrible things he did... but ultimately he's still our hero.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Britany

Post by Britany »

Hi Thaleia!

Alexander was one person who was born to be unforgettable. He was (of course..) a genius. He did great things whether bad or good. I can't be objective because I adore him but I believe that any
sensible person would confess that he was a very special person. Imagine what he would have managed to do if he hadn't died sooo young!
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

In spite of having flaws as everyone, his virtues shine high above them.A role model regarding virtue.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi, Such a question: first, those who are scholars and students of Alexander probably have a variety of opinions depending upon the course of study.As I have only a rudimentary knowledge of him, my opinion is that he is a subject worth studying and knowing, that he is heroic, that he is an ideal, that he is not only a genius in military operations but also a great administrator! He is very interesting, very challenging, and very much a hero to his age! In the end, I am convinced that he is probably the ideal hero for all ages, but that he can only be judged according to his time and age. Il est tres magnifique!
Dimitrios

Post by Dimitrios »

Alexander is a very complex man.Unfortunately many modern historians get caught up with to extremes.Tarn who said Alexandros can do now wrong and Badian who claims he was essentially a Orwellian tyrant..To look at him in any absolute sense is purely wrong and naive. Alexandros beleived he was the direct ancestor of Achilles and sought to surpass his deeds by his own heroic acts.And there is no question that he did. What makes Alexandros Great however is the effect he had on world civilization.He certainly spread Western Civilization to the Asiatics and of course his conquests also enabled ideas from the older civilizations of Asia to become tramsmitted to Europe thus paving the way for Christianity.ATG Empire and that of his successors such as the Ptomomeys though relitively short lived, had a powerful effect in legacy.The ideas spread by Alexanders conquest continued under the Roman Empire and essentially set the stage for the Byzantine Empire which continued for about 1000 yrs.
after the Empire in the West fell. His effect on world history is what makes him among the Greatest of the Great .
kate

Post by kate »

Hi,
Like everyone else on this forum I find Alexander a fascinating person. Maybe it is because everything he did was on such a large-scale, no wishy-washy half-measures for our hero! Even if you didn't approve of him, I don't think you could fail to be affected by his personal charisma because he must have had it in bucket-loads to get his men to follow him to the ends of the earth. I just wish I had a time-machine so I go could back and find out what he was like for myself.Cheers,
Kate
jason_xander2000

Post by jason_xander2000 »

The Title of the GREAT says it all for me.Debate has been wide and varied,but no one can fault or discredit Alexander achievements, for a man to die so relatively young.Has anyone in the whole history of mankind achieved so much without a hint of defeat or failure, the record is unique, the man was deffinately a one of and to generally come down to us as a hero and generally intact.Its fair to say he had his faults and did some bad things, but the guy was a man of war in a time of war, but in comparison to other rulers his atrocities fade away.Alexander The great= probably the Greatestregards Jason