Alexander's most difficult battle.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

coronzon

Alexander's most difficult battle.

Post by coronzon »

I've talked this over with several people now I think I will post it here.
In your opinion, which battle was most difficult for Alexander? Be creative, it doesn't have to pertain to only the physical aspect.
I'm interested in all of your opinions.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander's most difficult battle.

Post by ruthaki »

I would think the one against the Mallians as he almost got himself killed.
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris »

HiGaugamela, because it showed ATG for the true genius that he was. The battle, for me, encapsulates all that was "great" about Alexander - strategy, leadership, bravery, and he was in his prime. The events surrounding the battle also add magic to the whole event.Chris
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

A clever way to present a question to a source to receive analysis on the number one (second to no one) military leader in world history. Each battle was different in one way or another especially terrain, each historian had slightly differed in their view of each battle and don't forget the many skirmishes for they were unique, you should study these ancient and modern sources and then make your own decision. So, I offer you your own question:"In your opinion, which battle was most difficult for Alexander? Be creative, it doesn't have to pertain to only the physical aspect".
alexandersdesciple

Post by alexandersdesciple »

Alexander most difficult endevour was :1 It was long2 it was never certain3 his men suffered terrible drawbacks,where they had to start again4 The Tyians kept Alexander on his toes5 It was a huge undertaking and it tested his siege skills just as much as Gaugamella tested his battlefield genius.6 It demontsrated how hard it was and the mysery it caused to the Macedonians the way they took savage and unforgiving revenge on the people once it was taken, It was called an atrocity but the way they must have felt after 6 months of hard toil and pain it was only obvious retribution of the highest order would be dished out.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I can't make up my mind, because they all had their unique points.I'm also still in favour of the taking of the Persian Gates, which I think Nick W was expounding on a few months ago. HAving re-read Arrian's account a few weeks ago I realised quite what an important engagement it was, yet it receives relatively little press.I'd also put a few votes in for his battle against the Scythians. Being faced with, effectively, an unknown style of warfare, and suffering from unhealed wounds and dysentry, Alexander was still able to beat the Scythians at their game and force their chieftains to acknowledge his genius. And, of course, if you'll allow an entire campaign, then the two-year guerilla war in Bactria/Sogdia must rank as his most difficult campaign, if not a single battle.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Judging from the outcome I'd say that the most difficult battle was at Hydaspes. That not only because of the strength of the opponent, but also because his troops were weary, facing an unknown enemy and weapons in a strange climate not to mention stranded thousands of miles away from home. I'm sure that their morale was at its lowest at the time of the battle (and surely after the battle it was even worse).
Soon after this battle they would demand to stop the campaign!
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

The battle against the Sogdians was probably his most difficult battle. Reading FUller's account of it, he states that the reduction of the two satrapies (Bactria and Sogdiana) "...was to test Alexander's generalship to the full and engage his energies for two years....[terrain] most difficult regions in the world for any type of army to operate in...a tangled mass of mountains, open steppe land or desert...no towns to strike...people nomadic...In this theatre the whole mode of fighting was to differ from what it had been...Alexander was to be faced by a people's war, a war of mounted guerrillas who, when he advanced would suddenly appear in his rear..." and Fuller expounds in further detail of the military hardship.Cheers,Thalestris
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

I am with you on this one Yiannis. The battle of the Hydaspsis reall tested ATG. He had to be patient and wait for his opertunity which was difficult for him and his men. Anticipating battle is wearing on troops at the best of times. Add their distance from home as you have mentioned, the unknown variable as you have mentioned it made ATG's most difficult battle. Some response have'nt really addressed the question. Tyre was not a battle but a seige, Mali was a skirmish not a battle and the fact that ATG nearly lost his life does'nt make it difficult battle. So I am with you Yiannis.
coronzon

Post by coronzon »

I'm not sure If I'm knowledgable enough to make such a judgement. But I assume most of you on this site are. Indeed, I am still learning about Alexander. I know it is probably ludacris to ask a question that I myself can't create an opinion about. In my own defense, it would be premature to make an opinion without having gathered all the facts.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Thalestris,Exactly my thoughts!I was reading an article in a military magazine I picked up over Christmas, where I came across a great quote regarding the Bactria/Sogdia campaign. The writer simply said "Glory was in short supply in those years". Too right, I thought!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

The battle with himself...I am for the one against Porus. The crossing of the river, the elephants, the weather. Most memorable, I think, of the battles Arrian describes. I was on the edge of my seat...
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

They were all most difficult...

Post by beausefaless »

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, 10th Edition define a battle as a combat between two persons besides a general encounter between armies, ships of war, or aircraft.There's good answers in this message thread to a great question.
1.The reign of Philip II, was a personal battle for Alexander, with that aside.2. The campaign of consolidation, remember the Danube ( the Gatae & Tribbalians)3.The campaign in Asia Minor, gaining complete control of all ports and water ways (lanes) leading home to Macedonia and Greece from the Mediterranean to the Aegean sea.4.The campaign in Eastern Persia, Guagamela, some consider this as Alexander's masterpiece.5.The Asiatic campaign, the many skirmishes and let's not forget Alexander's army walking over the Hindu Kush, the siege of the seven cities (Scythians), revolts in Sogdiana and Bactria on the way to 6.The Indian campaign, The Battle of the Jhelum (Hydaspes), skirmishes with unfriendly tribes and the Makren dessert should be mentioned for that was no walk in the park and it was a battle of survival.
Alexander by Lieutenant Colonel Theodore A. Dodge (1890) and The Generalship of Alexander the Great by General J.F.C Fuller also Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army by Donald W. Engels in 1978, these are very good books especially Mr. Engels presents the first systematic study of Alexander's logistical system and its impact on Alexander's strategy and tactics.Good luck.
coronzon

Re: They were all most difficult...

Post by coronzon »

Maybe I should consult the dictionary each time I post a message. Let me ask you this. Are you usually this condescending when responding to posts? I was asking simple question using simple terminology. I don't think I require posts from people with god complexes. For everyone else, I appreciate your opinions and each of you posed interesting explanations. I always run into people who, I suppose, are attempting to convince others of their intelligence. Correct me if I am wrong.
Brandon
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

You're a real piece of work!

Post by beausefaless »

There was another individual that gave their definition of battle and you had no problem with that post. What you require, well, you can't always get what you want especially when you're lazy and it's a free forum since you can't handle my post I'm surprised I didn't know you felt that way but since you do that makes me belligerent and I truly apologize for any complement I expressed it will never happen again. I suggest you use your influence and get me eight balled from your newly founded crowd there's a few people in this forum that will be more than happy to join your crusade as far as god complexes, sounds good to me for I don't believe in deities or the deity. You're going to fit in real well here, no matter where you go in this world you will always find someone like me that sees right through your bovine stool, enjoy your high horse for I'm sure this is the response (correct me if I'm wrong) you were hoping to get. Happy whining.