Alexander's greatest moment

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander's greatest moment

Post by hiphys »

Alexander the Great died 2345 years ago.
Someone wondered what was his single greatest moment and answered his victory at Gaugamela. But I don't think so: for me his best moments are all in his last year of life, such as his marriage at Susa together with 90 Companions and 10. 000 soldiers ; the integration of Persians and other people into his army, the great banquet at Opis. What is your choice, instead? Alexander is remembered mostly fo his victories indeed, but he is also the most misunderstood man in world history, because his innovations in institutional organization were too early to be appreciated.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander's greatest moment

Post by Alexias »

A difficult question. I tried to think of a reply, but realised I was thinking more of his legacy and his achievements rather than any single moment. I wonder what he would have chosen? Perhaps the Granicus, because he realised at that moment that the Persians could be taken. Would he have chosen something more personal to himself, like Siwah, seeing the Indian Ocean, or would he have chosen the taking of Persepolis as the pinnacle of his achievement?
chris_taylor
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander's greatest moment

Post by chris_taylor »

Greatest moment depends on the POV.

Not sure what he would have said, if anything. My guess is he would have been puzzled by the question. Alexander doesnt strike me as a man who looked back, only forward.

My own favourite is Gaugamela, although I think his decisiveness aged 16 going to war against the Meadi was extra ordinary and a clear sign of things to come.

Most Westerners who know a bit of ancient history, would probably say Gaugamela, because even without further expansion, that battle changed the course of civilization. For Iranians, they probably wish he'd never been born.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.