Non-fiction book reviews #4

This forum is for updated versions of the site's main pages, and for resources for students of Alexander. Posting is limited.
If you quote any material from anything on pothos.org, please ensure you include a link to the original work and give due credit.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Non-fiction book reviews #4

Post by Alexias »

NON-FICTION BOOK REVIEWS

Alexander the Great; Man and God, Ian Worthington, Pearson Education Limited, 2004, 251 p.
Reviewer: Nick Welman

I would give this sad book a big 'no'. Worthington tries to convince his readers that Alexander was really "The Accursed", instead of "The Great". But Worthington's one dimensional approach was even too much for me to handle. (And I am the one responsible for creating the "Darius III Tribute Website", remember?) Probably nothing in this book will enlighten your perception, unless you enjoy taking a ride on Worthington's negative anti-propaganda. Reading 'Man and God' might feel like a waste of time for all those longing to really understand that decisive confrontation between East and West that raged on 2350 years ago.

Alexander the Great; A Reader, Ian Worthington (ed.), Routledge, 2003, 332 p.

I would consider this a rather cheap trick to issue an Alexander book with your name on the cover, without having to write that much. Worthington has assembled some interesting articles written by well known scholars --- some, however, written more than 40 years ago --- and wrapped them up in this volume. One problem is: if you want to know 'when' the article at hand was actually written, Worthington has carefully hidden that information somewhere in his introductory text. Why not be more clear about the actual dating of the excerpts included? Worthington's conclusive article, "How great was Alexander?", exposes the fragility of this collection. It is ill-researched and has received severe critiscism, e.g. by well established scholars like Frank Holt.

In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great, Michael Wood, 1997
Reviewer: Forum Contributor

I have, I admit, an inherent distaste for journalists. I found this text irritating, and his manipulation of facts both past and present to be inexcusable. That said, I still bought the book and the video, for the scenery and the photos alone. And admittedly, it was a bit satisfying to see Mr Wood exhaustedly declare that no one in his right mind would make such a journey ... not a man for epic events. Be aware, too, that there are a few scenes that are representative of places Wood is discussing, not the actual places.

Reviewer: Marcus Pailing

This is the book of the brilliant TV series, wherein Wood followed Alexander's route to India and back. Fascinating largely for the pictures (particularly those of Afghanistan – hard to believe more than 2,000 years have passed since the Macedonians were there), it is very much a personal view and written for a lay audience. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that there are sweeping statements that could cause the occasional raised eyebrow from an Alexander scholar. Not to be missed, however!

(I should point out that, contrary to what the other review says, Michael Wood is a historian, not a journalist. That doesn't mean that his take on Alexander should be read any differently; but in the interests of accuracy ...)

Alexander the Great, Richard Stoneman, Lancaster Pamphlets, Routledge, U.K., 1997
Reviewer: Forum Contributor

At 100 pages, this is easily the briefest overview of Alexander available. But it makes a perfect introduction. Stoneman offers the reader everything in easy bites, and throughout the text, while offering the generally accepted view of Alexander, takes the reader through folk tales into modern academic views painlessly. Stoneman will detail a folk tale or Romance story and then offer the confirmation or rebuttal as given by modern academics (usually Borza or Bosworth). He also offers a look at current debates regarding ATG and his times. Though this is not a scholarly book per se, it is a nice addition for someone who wants to get a quick look at Alexander without having to read a dozen academic texts. But I can almost guarantee that, once you read it, you will be looking for the sources listed in the bibliography!

Alexander the Great - the Heroic Ideal, P. Briant (English Trans J. Leggatt), Thames and Hudson / New Horizons, 1996 (pp.175, 135 illustrations)

A small, pocket-sized book - the same size as an ordinary DVD box. But if you like Alexander's histories, and you haven't got this one yet ... buy it. It is not the text: the Frenchman Pierre Briant is a good scholar, but his insights are not revolutionary. It is the illustrations: this little booklet offers you far more full-colour impressions of Alexander than any other currently available in print. Most of the artwork dates from Medieval or later times. the 19th century French painter Moreau has his impression of Porus' palace (p.105). Charles le Brun paints Alexander in a true 1674 fashion (p.102). Bazzi has his 1511 Italian painting of the marriage to Roxane (pp.90-91). Almost every page is a feast for the eyes - you only wish the book had been published in a bigger format. It is intriguing to see how Alexander has inspired so many artists over the centuries. Briant's great contribution is that he was able to bring so many works of art together. The chances are that you will take up The Heroic Ideal quite frequently, just to marvel at the images. And then it offers a nice overview of Alexander's era too. At its modest price it cannot be a disappointment - whether you are new to the subject or have been a long-time scholar.

Alexander the Great: The Invisible Enemy, John Maxwell O’Brien, 1994

The premise of this book is that one can follow Alexander's history through an investigation of his relationship with wine – one typically thinks of the murder of Cleitus the Black, the burning of Persepolis and Alexander's famous drunken exchange with his father. An interesting read, but I would recommend that a reader not base his/her entire evaluation of Alexander on it.

Alexander the Great and His Time, Agnes Savill, Barnes and Noble Inc., 1993

This is a truly awful book. Savill has clearly read Tarn, but it appears that she has read nothing else, and as far as she is concerned what Tarn says is right. There are a number of horribly sycophantic references to Tarn's more outrageous ideas, which have been all but discredited in more recent times. There are also many factual errors - I got so annoyed that I started writing marginal notes in my copy, detailing all the errors she makes. This book is not worth buying!