Three books on the Achaemenids

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Three books on the Achaemenids

Post by sean_m »

One which came out a few years ago, one which is new, and one which is in editing.

Waters, Matthew (2014) Ancient Persia: A Concise History of the Achaemenid Empire, 550–330 BCE (Cambridge University Press: New York)

I read this and its a good concise overview which tries to be 'cutting edge' which is always a bit of a gamble. Its definitely more digestible than Pierre Briant's book or Amélie Kuhrt's amazing sourcebook.

Brosius, Maria (2020) A History of Ancient Persia: The Achaemenid Empire (Wiley-Blackwell: Hoboken, NJ)

Prof. Brosius just quit the ancient racket, I have not seen this book but I liked her earlier ones.

Lloyd Llewellyn-Jones is also working on a textbook, I would guess it will appear in 2021 or 2022.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Three books on the Achaemenids

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Glad to see Brosius's book. I use her smaller one, The Persians, in my ANE class. Will be sure to put the new one on order.

But what do you mean she "quit" the ancient racket?
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Jeanne Reames wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 am Glad to see Brosius's book. I use her smaller one, The Persians, in my ANE class. Will be sure to put the new one on order.

But what do you mean she "quit" the ancient racket?
Last time we talked, she was about to take early retirement from the University of Toronto and look for something else to do for the rest of her working life. As far as I know she carried through. I don't know her closely so if you do you should probably contact her and get her take.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Ah, okay. There are days I agree with her. LOL. I realized just recently that I'm about 5 years from retirement as of next fall. Covid has made me wish it was less. Ha. Although I'd like to get a sabbatical before the end. Got things to write!
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html