Men behind Alexander- Parmenio

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sandros

Men behind Alexander- Parmenio

Post by Sandros »

Hi! I am preparing an article about the men behind Alexander and although I have a lot of good books in my hands I stopped dead on Parmenio. A lot of articles and theories on the conspiracy of Philotas, but very little about Parmenio's family and career before Alexander. Maybe some could suggest me articles, books? Any other information?
Thanks in advance!
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Men behind Alexander- Parmenio

Post by Alexias »

The only thing I know of is Waldemar Heckel - The Marshalls of Alexander's Empire. This was originally written in 1992 but I believe the 2nd edition in 2016 has been substantially revised. Have you tried looking on jstor.org for more articles?
Sandros

Post by Sandros »

I have the older edition of Marshals...
Does someone in forum have the newest and just can say if there is any supplementary information in there?
Have digged also jstor... Nothing on my topic
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

You might also want to check Das Alexanderreich auf prosopographischer Grundlage by Berve which is the work which Waldemar Heckel's books start out from.

There is a lot of modern writing on the negative picture of Parmenion in the sources, and whether the positive stories are 'more authentic' or just an ancient response to the people who maligned him after his murder, but I can't list articles. Maybe that article "The Conspiracy against Philotas" talks about how he and his sons fit into the court just before they were killed?
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Sandros

Post by Sandros »

Thanks! I will try to get my hands on Berve' s work!
And, yes, the " cleaning" (?) of Parmenio' s image and making him somewhat more human is the aim of my article
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Der Neue Pauly cites Heckel, Berve, and "The Death of Parmenio" by Ernst Badian. So if you cite all three, you probably won't get any rude comments about not being familiar with the latest literature!
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)