Krateros & Perdikkas, Orestians, possible royal blood?

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Krateros & Perdikkas, Orestians, possible royal blood?

Post by lysis56 »

I have to admit to being lazy, and haven't completely checked the Forum on this, but has anyone any information view, etc., of any familial connection between Krateros and Perdikkas? From my research I understand both were Orestians by birth, there is some evidence according to Heckels, which unfortunately I cannot quote, having no access currently to my library that Perdikkas may have been related to Alexander's line. (I have often wondered about this as being a reason for his giving his ring, etc., into his care to him upon dying and not just because he was Hephaistion's successor. If Perdikkas were in fact of royal blood, but esp. of the Argave line it would have made a good deal of sense. However...) Anyone know of anything similar between he and Krateros? I am researching the possibility of royal lines other than Argave in Alexander's court, aside from the more obvious Lykestian. Thank you. Lysis56
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Krateros & Perdikkas, Orestians, possible royal blood?

Post by Alexias »

Heckel says of Craterus:

son of Alexandros, mother Aristopatra, brother Amphoteros

'Presumably the family belonged to the high nobility of Upper Macedonia...But, since we do not know the names of any other relatives, by blood or marriage, further deductions about the family's position within the Macedonian aristocracy are impossible.'

Perdiccas:

brother Alketas, sister Atalante

'Perdiccas, son of Orontes, ...came from Orestis, an adherant of that canton's royal house.'

It isn't possible to say whether they were related or how, or if, they were related to the Orestian royal house.
lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Krateros & Perdikkas, Orestians, possible royal blood?

Post by lysis56 »

Alexias,

Thank's much for this information. It was as I thought. I need to do more digging and get my library out of storage. Many thanks for your reply.

Lysis