Hephaestion and the "chiliarchy"

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Alexander's Discretion & Hephaistion

Post by Paralus »

chris_taylor wrote:If you're prepared to discard Justin, Diodorus and large sections of Plutarch because they are abridged versions of source materials (or the only authors to state something), then it is relevant. Otherwise it isn't.
If web forums had torches I'd burn the straw man. Please show me where I've been prepared to "discard Justin, Diodorus and large sections of Plutarch".

I have, in fact, been at pains to suggest that Justin and Curtius be read with respect to this. Perhaps you might do this before assailing me with further such straw men. You might also read the prologues to Diodorus' books: Photius' "summary" of Successors is better - but not by terribly much.

No other source describes the position of chiliarch as ἐπιτροπή of the empire. The truncated text is describing two functions and two positions. Perdiccas, on behalf of Arrhideaus, allocates satrapies as ἐπιμελητὴν δὲ τῆς βασιλείας not chiliarch.
chris_taylor wrote:I suggest we agree to disagree on this one.
Especially if you're going to claim that I'm prepared to ignore sources I've quoted and directed others to Chris.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

amyntoros wrote:
chris_taylor wrote:
It's irrelevant what Photius' summary has done to 5 books. What matters is what it did to the paragraphs in question.

Here are Photius words, copy & paste from the Livius site:
... that Perdiccas should be chiliarch of the troops which had been under the command of Hephaestion, which amounted to entrusting him with the care of the whole empire; and that Meleager should be his lieutenant.
That's a strong and unequivocal statement on an important matter. Neither Arrian nor Photius were careless with their material.
I've been following this debate although a long, drawn-out sickness has prevented me from contributing, however I feel the need to ask a question here, even though I believe it might have already been addressed earlier. (Hopefully my brain isn't completely addled with fever.) If Perdiccas being "chiliarch of the troops which had been under the command of Hephaistion" means the care of the whole empire was entrusted to him, wouldn't it follow that when Perdiccas gave command of the cavalry to Seleucus then Seleucus now had the care of the whole empire? :?:
Diodorus 18.3.4 He placed Seleucus in command of the cavalry of the Companions, a most distinguished office ; for Hephaestion commanded them first, Perdiccas after him, and third the above-named Seleucus.
Hi amyntoros,

Very sorry about your illness. I think that you have correctly deduced that the conjoining of the command of the top regiment of the Companion Cavalry with the Chiliarchy implied by Arrian, Anabasis 7.14.10 not only contradicts all the other sources, but also throws up irreconcilable paradoxes, such as the one that you have pointed out. That is why most scholars (as I have shown) have supposed Arrian slightly to have garbled his sources in this instance.

It is also clear why Arrian is confused on this point. He doesn't know (as we do) that Chiliarch (meaning Lord of a Thousand in Greek) is just a literal translation of the Persian title Hazarapatis. Arrian will also have seen chiliarch used in others contexts in his sources to mean the commander of a unit of 1000 troops. Arrian has therefore (seemingly of his own volition) tried to reconcile this by supposing that Hephaistion's title of Chiliarch had something to do with his troop commands. Unfortunately, this leap of the imagination was not valid.

Best wishes,

Andrew
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Foreign troops were inducted into the army long before Opis. There were mass marriages of Alexander’s men at Roxane’s wedding too. Diodorus evidently thought it obvious when it was that Alexander became an admirer of Persian customs. In Diodorus’ own account it is Hyrcania. It is hard not to see the adoption of Persian dress, the acquisition of Darius’ harem, the installation of Persian ushers etc, etc, as constituting becoming an admirer of Persian customs. As you have pointed out, there is no disagreement in the sources that this all happened in Hyrcania/Parthia (the two regions border on one another). This was the second half of 330BC (Hammond also agrees this point in the extract that I have reproduced above).
1. It is only at Opis that the foreigners are described by Arrian as being katalochein ie fully incorporated into formerly Macedonian units.
2. Only Diodorus mentions the mass marriage at the same time as Alexander marrying Roxane, and since the Friends he forces to marry natives there are surely a sub-set of the Companions who marry natives at Susa, you must think he forced bigamy on his marshals twice! This is Diodoros mistaking his source, he looked ahead to the Susan marriages in an aside and Diodoros, in his notes he confused this and produced two mass marriages.
3. It is actually quite easy to differentiate the adoption of very few items of Persian clothing and some court trappings with marriage into two wings of the Achaemenid monarchy and sufficient Persian recruitment to spark a mutiny.
4. Despite the two regions bordering one another it is clear that the original sources were NOT certain when to place Alexander's initial 'medism'.
5.Diodorus only works from his sources, it really is bad practice to use a statement in one part of his work to support another.
6. I don't care a fig for what Hammond thinks, and as someone who has stated that the ancient sources should always be preferred when not contradicted, a pretty crass position, maybe you should not either.

The chiliarch was subordinate to the epimeletes or guardian not the King, it is a title not a constitutional rank; Marcus Lepidus was Julius Caesar's Master of Horse, a constitutional rank and still an empty title.

Brunt is frequently controversial, I won't say in error since every opinion has a place - just explain why Arrian,using good sources makes Nabarzenes' chiliarchy a cavalry command, something Curtius supports in his account of Issos; Brunt misses this.

Very sorry about your illness. I think that you have correctly deduced that the conjoining of the command of the top regiment of the Companion Cavalry with the Chiliarchy implied by Arrian, Anabasis 7.14.10 not only contradicts all the other sources, but also throws up irreconcilable paradoxes, such as the one that you have pointed out. That is why most scholars (as I have shown) have supposed Arrian slightly to have garbled his sources in this instance.

It is also clear why Arrian is confused on this point. He doesn't know (as we do) that Chiliarch (meaning Lord of a Thousand in Greek) is just a literal translation of the Persian title Hazarapatis. Arrian will also have seen chiliarch used in others contexts in his sources to mean the commander of a unit of 1000 troops. Arrian has therefore (seemingly of his own volition) tried to reconcile this by supposing that Hephaistion's title of Chiliarch had something to do with his troop commands. Unfortunately, this leap of the imagination was not valid.
This really deserves a d--; There was no 'Top Regiment of the Companion Cavalry'! Seniority below the basilike eile rotated. Arrian is consistent working with all his sources that the Chiliarchy was the command of the companions as once held by Philotas, this also accords with the Persian Chiliarchy being command of the 'Kinsmen cavalry'. Arrian is not confused merely retailing his similarly unconfused sources.

Chris, the fact of abridgement IS relevant, where we have the original source and an epitome the amount of distortion is clear where we have not it is not good practice to assume a sudden lapse into accuracy! This does not mean discarding such sources merely using them critically.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Taphoi wrote:He [Arrian] doesn't know (as we do) that Chiliarch (meaning Lord of a Thousand in Greek) is just a literal translation of the Persian title Hazarapatis. Arrian will also have seen chiliarch used in others contexts in his sources to mean the commander of a unit of 1000 troops.
Why, pray tell, would Arrian be unaware of the Greek transliteration azarapartis? How is it that you know this? As for the rest of that quote, numbers mean little. Are you suggesting the commanders of the archers and Agrianians are also a "Hazarapatis"?
Taphoi wrote:Arrian, Anabasis 7.14.10 not only contradicts all the other sources, but also throws up irreconcilable paradoxes...
I'm afraid it does not. The paradoxes are of your own creation.
Taphoi wrote:Arrian has therefore (seemingly of his own volition) tried to reconcile this by supposing that Hephaistion's title of Chiliarch had something to do with his troop commands. Unfortunately, this leap of the imagination was not valid.
There is nothing like an imaginative interpretation of the sources. Why "seemingly" though? Clearly you know what Arrian understood and did not (see Hazarapatis above).
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

agesilaos wrote: 1. It is only at Opis that the foreigners are described by Arrian as being katalochein ie fully incorporated into formerly Macedonian units.
You are mistaken, because Plutarch, Alexander 43.7 writes that Oxathres, the brother of Darius, was inducted as one of the Hetairoi (Companions) in Hyrcania at the same time that Diodorus 17.77.4 says that he (and other distinguished Persians) joined Alexander's guards (doryphoroi). So inducting Persian troops into the Macedonian forces was already an element of the initial Persianisation at the same time that Diodorus says Hephaistion became Chiliarch.
agesilaos wrote:2. Only Diodorus mentions the mass marriage at the same time as Alexander marrying Roxane, and since the Friends he forces to marry natives there are surely a sub-set of the Companions who marry natives at Susa, you must think he forced bigamy on his marshals twice! This is Diodoros mistaking his source, he looked ahead to the Susan marriages in an aside and Diodoros, in his notes he confused this and produced two mass marriages.
You are mistaken, because the marriages of the Macedonians to the local girls at Roxane's wedding are also in the Metz Epitome 30-31. Hence it is cited at section 9.61 of my reconstruction of Cleitarchus:
Cleitarchus wrote:Then the king focused upon the foreigners: “In my view the Macedonians are not a better breed than you and nor do I believe you to be beneath intermarriage with us too, even though you look for an alliance with us as losers. Therefore to forestall all ill-feeling I would like by lawful wedding to take to wife Roxane and I shall ensure that the other Macedonians act accordingly.” He himself having exhorted his Friends with these words, each of them led away a virgin that he wedded at the banquet. Oxyartes and the rest of the foreigners were happy beyond their hopes for this to happen.
agesilaos wrote:3. It is actually quite easy to differentiate the adoption of very few items of Persian clothing and some court trappings with marriage into two wings of the Achaemenid monarchy and sufficient Persian recruitment to spark a mutiny.
But the Hyrcanian Persianisation included the induction of Persians into the fighting units and the adoption of Asiatic ushers in the court and the mass marriages to local royalty began no later than 327BC. The sense of what Diodorus wrote was that Hephaistion became Chiliarch when Alexander first adopted Persian ceremonial: that is Hyrcania.
agesilaos wrote:4. Despite the two regions bordering one another it is clear that the original sources were NOT certain when to place Alexander's initial 'medism'.
The first Persianisation was complex and multi-faceted: it was probably rolled out over weeks or months.
agesilaos wrote:5.Diodorus only works from his sources, it really is bad practice to use a statement in one part of his work to support another.
It would follow from this that you think it would be bad practice to use material from one source to support another, would it not? Does that make sense?
agesilaos wrote:6. I don't care a fig for what Hammond thinks, and as someone who has stated that the ancient sources should always be preferred when not contradicted, a pretty crass position, maybe you should not either.
I have noted that Hammond, Romm, Reames and Brunt (all acknowledged experts on Hephaistion and/or Arrian) essentially agree with the line that I have been putting forward. However, it is indeed your prerogative to ignore everybody, if you like.

Best wishes,
Andrew
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Hephaestion and the "chiliarchy"

Post by agesilaos »

Arrian VII 6 ivff names

Cophen, son of Artabazus, Hydarnes and Artiboles, sons of Mazaeus, Sisines and Phradasmenes, sons of Phrataphernes, viceroy of Parthia and Hyrcania, Histanes, son of Oxyartes and brother of Alexander's wife, Roxane, as well as Autobares and his brother Mithrobaeus were picked out and enrolled among agema in addition to the Macedonian officers. Over these Hystaspes the Bactrian was placed as commander;

That is nine individuals of whom, Histanes and Hystaspes certainly and Autobares and Mithrobaeus probably (assuming the list preserves the order of their enrolment) cannot have been members of the agema before Alexander subdued the Sogdian Rock and Oxyartes’ surrender; if these men were drafted at the same time as Exathres then there were five to eight men admitted to a 300 man unit, hardly a commitment to Persian representation. In any case it is more likely that they were admitted at the same time as ‘...the whole cavalry was expanded...’

4]ἀλλὰ ἐπαυξηθέντος γὰρ τοῦ παντὸςἱππικοῦ κατελέγησαν ἐς αὐτὸ τῶν βαρβάρων, τῷ τεἀγήματι προσκαταλεγέντες Κωφής τε ὁ Ἀρταβάζου καὶὙδάρνης καὶ Ἀρτιβόλης οἱ Μαζαίου, καὶ Σισίνης καὶΦραδασμένης [καὶ] οἱ Φραταφέρνου τοῦ Παρθυαίωνκαὶ Ὑρκανίας σατράπου παῖδες,

Plutarch merely says ‘τὸν δὲ ἀδελφὸν Ἐξάθρην εἰς τοὺς ἑταίρους ἀνέλαβεν.’ He took his [Dareios’] brother, Exathres, into the Companions. It would seem more likely that this is not a note of Exathres joining the Companion Cavalry but being into the ranks of the more restricted Companionate ie he was made equal in standing to a Macedonian noble, which would explain his absence from Arrian’s list; this is a social rather than military move with the political aim of getting Dareios’ faction on board for the coming clash with Bessos.

Diodoros has

καὶ πρῶτον μὲν περὶ τὴν αὐλὴν εἶχε ῥαβδούχους Ἀσιαγενεῖς, ἔπειτα τοὺς ἐπιφανεστάτους τῶν Ἀσιανῶν ἀνδρῶν δορυφορεῖν ἔταξεν, ἐν οἷς ἦν καὶ ὁ Δαρείου ἀδελφὸςὈξάθρης. XVII 77 iv

...and first he posted rod-bearers of Asiatic race around the court, then raised a guard from the most distinguished Asian men, among whom was Dareios’ brother Oxathres.

This is significantly different from Plutarch’s notice, doryphoroi are foot soldiers and this would be an insult to the Persians not an honour I would suggest that Plutarch is correct to make Exathres enter into Companionship with the King and Diodoros has misunderstood his source. At Opis Alexander raises a Persian Guard unit, this presupposes one was not already in existence.

So inducting Persian troops into the Macedonian forces was already an element of the initial Persianisation at the same time that Diodorus says Hephaistion became Chiliarch.

Neither the raising of one man to Companion status, nor the possible institution of a separate Asian guard constitute an induction into Macedonian forces anymore than the incorporation of four Scyths into the agema (they are corporis custodes clearly not replacing four of The Seven and as horsemen unlikely to be hypaspistai), Curtius VII 10 ix, marks a period of Scythicising. Yes, Persian trappings were adopted but there is no widespread dilution of the Macedonian nature of the army.

XVIII 48 5 The position and rank of chiliarch had first been brought to fame and honour by the Persian kings, and afterwards under Alexander it gained great power and glory at the time when he became an admirer of this and all other Persian customs.

It is strange that Arrian only found a note of Hephaistion’s chiliarchy when he died, and that neither Justin, Curtius or Diodoros’ source in Book XVII mention it at all. But what I am trying to say, clearly not clearly enough, is that this note comes from Diodoros’ source for Book XVIII and seems more influenced by the chiliarchies of Perdikkas, Seleukos and Kassander than the facts of that of Hephaistion. The Parthian/Hyrcanian/Sogdian years are not the only time when a commentator might say that Alexander ‘became an admirer of this and all other Persian customs.’ You seem to think that his is Diodoros’ independent dating of an event by reference with his previous source, even though he chose not to remark upon the appointment at the time. It is not impossible but how likely is it?

Let us turn to whether the Chiliarchy was command of the cavalry, as previously held by Philotas.

More to follow
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

agesilaos wrote:Diodoros has

καὶ πρῶτον μὲν περὶ τὴν αὐλὴν εἶχε ῥαβδούχους Ἀσιαγενεῖς, ἔπειτα τοὺς ἐπιφανεστάτους τῶν Ἀσιανῶν ἀνδρῶν δορυφορεῖν ἔταξεν, ἐν οἷς ἦν καὶ ὁ Δαρείου ἀδελφὸςὈξάθρης. XVII 77 iv

...and first he posted rod-bearers of Asiatic race around the court, then raised a guard from the most distinguished Asian men, among whom was Dareios’ brother Oxathres.

This is significantly different from Plutarch’s notice, doryphoroi are foot soldiers and this would be an insult to the Persians not an honour I would suggest that Plutarch is correct to make Exathres enter into Companionship with the King and Diodoros has misunderstood his source. At Opis Alexander raises a Persian Guard unit, this presupposes one was not already in existence.
Doryphoroi is the general term for "spear men" or "bodyguard" (often used in somewhat derogatory fashion for tyrants' guards). I agree it is unlikely that Darius' brother will have seen service under that ruler as a foot soldier - guard or not. The Great King's kinsmen and closest Friends fought about him in the "guard" cavalry (if not elsewhere assigned). Even were these melophoroi (and Diodorus clearly understands this term) Darius' brother is demoted rather than raised to some esteemed position.

Both Arrian and Diodorus agree that complimentary units were established over the period of the "mutiny" at Opis. Diodorus claims 1,000 were made hypaspistae and Arian backs this with Alexander's forming of Macedonian units manned by Persians - including the hypaspistae. Diodorus may well be anticipating at 17.77 and that he becomes a court intimate (hetairoi) is more likely.
Paralus

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Let us turn to whether the Chiliarchy was command of the cavalry, as previously held by Philotas.

Arrian, III 21 i calls Nabarzanes ‘the chiliarch of the cavalry which had fled with Dareios...’
Ναβαρζάνης τε, χιλιάρχης τῶν ξὺν Δαρείῳ φευγόντων ἱππέων,
And III 23 iv, simply, ‘Dareios’ chiliarch’
Ναβαρζάνης τε ὁ Δαρείου χιλιάρχης
Curtius also gives him a cavalry command at Issos III 9 i
Nabarzanes equitatu dextrum cornu tuebatur additis funditorum sagittariorumque viginti fere milibus.
This command chimes with the 30,000 cavalry and 20,000 light troops Arrian II 8 v
τῶν μὲν ἱππέων διαβιβάζειπέραν τοῦ ποταμοῦ τοῦ Πινάρου ἐς τρισμυρίους μάλιστατὸν ἀριθμὸν καὶ μετὰ τούτων τῶν ψιλῶν ἐςδισμυρίους
The numbers are, of course a nonsense but the 30,000 cavalry also appear in Kallisthenes as reported by Polybios XII 18 i, so it would seem that Curtius did find Nabarzenes command in his source and is not just giving a name he knows from elsewhere.

The identity of the ‘cavalry who fled with Darius’, of whom Nabarzanes is chiliarch, is almost certainly the ‘Royal kinsmen’; Arrian III 16 i
Δαρεῖος μὲν δὴ εὐθὺς ἐκ τῆς μάχης παρὰ τὰ ὄρητὰ Ἀρμενίων ἤλαυνεν ἐπὶ Μηδίας, καὶ ξὺν αὐτῷ οἵ τεΒάκτριοι ἱππεῖς, ὡς τότε ἐν τῇ μάχῃ ξυνετάχθησαν,ἔφευγον καὶ Περσῶν οἵ τε συγγενεῖς οἱ βασιλέως καὶτῶν μηλοφόρων καλουμένων οὐ πολλοί.
We can exclude the ‘melophoroi’ as they are infantry and the Bactrian cavalry as they were not at Issos also the syngeneis were 1,000 strong ie a chiliarchia.

There is only one piece of evidence that might suggest the Achaemenid Chiliarch was not the commander of the Kinsmen and this comes in Photios’ resume of the Persika of Ctesias
[§49] Secydianus thus became king and appointed Menostanes his azabarites . After Bagorazus returned to court, Secydianus, who cherished a long-standing enmity against him, on the pretext that he had left his father's body in Persis without his permission, ordered him to be stoned to death. The army was greatly grieved, and, although Secydianus distributed large sums amongst the soldiers, they hated him for the murder of his brother Xerxes and now for that of Bagorazus.
[§50] Secydianus, then summoned Ochus to court, who promised to present himself but failed to do so. After he had been summoned several times, he collected a large force with the obvious intention of seizing the throne. He was joined by Arbarius, commander of the cavalry, and Arxanes, satrap of Egypt. The eunuch Artoxares also came from Armenia and placed the crown on the head of Ochus against his will.
This would suggest that the ‘commander of the cavalry’ and the azabarites or Chiliarch were different offices; we cannot be sure that the cavalry command mentioned is that of the Kinsmen, indeed not having been able to track down a legible Greek version I cannot even comment on which words are used (I suspect it is simply ‘hipparch’ used in a general fashion).

So there is good evidence that the Achaemenid post Alexander took over was a cavalry command. Arrian calls Hephaistion’s command ‘the Chiliarchy of the Companion cavalry’
VII 14 10]οὔκουν οὐδὲ ἄλλον τινὰ ἔταξεν ἀντὶἩφαιστίωνος χιλίαρχον ἐπὶ τῇ ἵππῳ τῇ ἑταιρικῇ Ἀλέξανδρος, ὡς μὴ ἀπόλοιτο τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ Ἡφαιστίωνοςἐκ τῆς τάξεως, ἀλλὰ Ἡφαιστίωνός τε ἡ χιλιαρχiα ἐκαλεῖτο καὶ τὸ σημεῖον αὐτῆς ἡγεῖτο τὸ ἐξ Ἡφαιστίωνος πεποιημένον.
In Photius’ summary of Arrian’s Events after Alexander Kassander is
chiliarch of the cavalry
And Perdikkas is initially
that Perdiccas should be chiliarch of the troops which had been under the command of Hephaestion
Photius’ summary of Dexippos has
Perdiccas obtained the chiliarchy of Hephaestion, the highest dignity amongst the Macedonians
Diodoros XVIII 3 iv
4 He placed Seleucus in command of the cavalry of the Companions, a most distinguished office; for Hephaestion commanded them first, Perdiccas after him, and third the above-named Seleucus.

[4]Σέλευκον δ᾽ ἔταξεν ἐπὶ τὴν ἱππαρχίαν τῶν ἑταίρων, οὖσαν ἐπιφανεστάτην:ταύτης γὰρ Ἡφαιστίων πρῶτος μὲν ἡγήσατο,μετὰ δὲ τοῦτον Περδίκκας, τρίτος δ᾽ ὁ προειρημένος Σέλευκος.
The only offices we know of shared by Perdikkas and Hephaistion are the Chiliarchy and an ordinary hipparchy which would not be described as ἐπὶ τὴν ἱππαρχίαν τῶν ἑταίρων, οὖσαν ἐπιφανεστάτην; we can note too the similarity of the description of this post here as ‘ousan epiphanestataten’ and in Dexippos apud Photios as ‘protiston times telos’ honour of the first order. A typically innacurate paraphrase (it should apply to the prostasia/epimeleteia rather than the chiliarchia) cf the description of Antipater’s area of authority where Dexippos allots him power over ‘... the whole of Macedonia, Greece, Illyria, the country of the Triballi and the Agrianes’ Whereas reference to the summary of Arrian gives ‘the country beyond Thrace, as far as the Illyrians, Triballians. and Agrianians, Macedonia itself, and Epirus as far as the Ceraunian mountains, together with the whole of Greece, to Craterus and Antipater’ Dexippos seems to have confused the limits of Antipater’s puview with its extent, The fact that Photius can get this right when summarising Arrian leads one to suspect the error was Dexippos’.

The reason for thinking Arrian conflated the offices of Hephaistion is not based on anything in the sources but on the mistaken belief that the ‘hazarapatis’ functioned as a sort of Ottoman Grand Vizier; the analogy is false. The only attested role for him is controlling access to the Great King, Cornelius Nepos ‘Conon’ iii 2
Conon, being sent by Pharnabazus to the king to assure him of his guilt, went in the first place, on his arrival (after the manner of the Persians), to Tithraustes, the captain of the guard (chiliarchum), who held the second place in the empire, and signified that he wished to speak to the king; for no one is admitted without this ceremony.

2 Huius accusandi gratia Conon a Pharnabazo ad regem missus, posteaquam venit, primum ex more Persarum ad chiliarchum, qui secundum gradum imperii tenebat, Tithrausten, accessit seque ostendit cum rege colloqui velle. Nemo enim sine hoc admittitur.
Or Plutarch ‘Themistocles’
27 Now Thucydides25 and Charon of Lampsacus relate that Xerxes was dead, and that it was his son Artaxerxes with whom Themistocles had his interview; but Ephorus and Dinon and Clitarchus and Heracleides and yet more besides have it that it was Xerxes to whom he came. With the chronological data Thucydides seems to me more in accord, although these are by no means securely established. 2 Be that as it may, Themistocles, thus at the threshold of the dreadful ordeal, had audience first with Artabanus the Chiliarch, or Grand Vizier, and said that he was a Hellene, and that he desired to have an audience with the King on matters which were of the highest importance and for which the monarch entertained the most lively concern. Whereupon the Chiliarch replied: "O Stranger, men's customs differ; different people honour different practices; but all honour the exaltation and maintenance of their own peculiar ways. 3 Now you Hellenes are said to admire liberty and equality above all things; but in our eyes, among many fair customs, this is the fairest of all, to honour the King, and to pay obeisance to him as the image of that god who is the preserver of all things. If, then, thou approvest our practice and wilt pay obeisance, it is in thy power to behold and address the King; but if thou art otherwise minded, it will be needful for thee to employ messengers to him in thy stead, for it is not a custom of this country that the King give ear to a man who has not paid him obeisance." 4 When Themistocles heard this, he said to him: "Nay, but I am come, Artabanus, to augment the King's fame and power, and I will not only myself observe your customs, since such is the pleasure of the god who exalts the Persians, but I will induce more men than do so now to pay obeisance to the King. Therefore let this matter by no means stand in the way of the words I wish to speak to him." 5 "And what Hellene," said Artabanus, "shall I say thou art who hast thus come? Verily, thou dost not seem to be a man of ordinary understanding." And Themistocles said: "This, Artabanus, no one may learn before the King."
So indeed Phanias says, and Eratosthenes, in his book "On Wealth," adds the statement that it was through a woman of Eretria, whom the Chiliarch had to wife, that Themistocles obtained interview and conference with him.

Tithraustes is called the ‘second in the kingdom’, but he is the only Achaemenid Chiliarch to be called this and Ctesias cites three or more people with influence over the King for each reign most of whom are clearly not the Chiliarch.

Since the Chiliarchy is the cavalry command we can say something further about the date of Hephaistion’s assumption of it. It cannot have occurred during the life of Kleitos as he and Hephaistion shared the command as hipparchs. Nor is any overall commander mentioned, as Philotas was, during the narrative of the Indian campaign. The occasion associated with medism and cavalry reform is Opis/Susa.

I wish I could claim to be the only person seeing things this way but Alexander Meeus, Pierre Briant, Josef Wischoefer among others all beat me to it. Critical reading of the sources and their modern interpreters is a duty rather than a prerogative; unless one just wants to pass ones time in the grassland quietly away.
chris_taylor
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris_taylor »

agesilaos wrote:Let us turn to whether the Chiliarchy was command of the cavalry, as previously held by Philotas ...
I'm no longer sure I follow who is saying what here, never mind why.

AIUI, you've shown that at Alexander's court,

a) the ciliarchy was a cavalry command, but is was not the same post Philotas held as commander of the companion cavalry
b) Hephaistion was appointed ciliarch around the time of the Opis mutiny
c) ciliarchy was not executive role with political or military power, but the court position that controlled access to the king.

yes?

Chris.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

AIUI? Not up to speed on text acronyms.

You seem to have grasped what I am saying, though, only under Alexander it would have been more of an empty title unless he took the control of access out of the hands of the Seven somatophylakes ( a function they perform at Babylon) which is possible, the office being short-lived and not defined fully in the sources. Otherwise it would be much as Philotas' command, though again we cannot list his duties! Under the diadochoi command of the companions remained (Kassander remained with the Royal Army under Antigonos to perform this function of his Chiliarchy) but control of access to the kings devolved upon the regent or epimeletes/prostates (whereas Kassander remained in Asia the Kings went with Antipater into Europe).

One could venture further that Alexander appointed Hephaition as he was sympathetic to the use of Asian troops which were now filling out the Companion hipparchies.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

chris_taylor wrote:AIUI, you've shown that at Alexander's court,

a) the ciliarchy was a cavalry command, but is was not the same post Philotas held as commander of the companion cavalry
b) Hephaistion was appointed ciliarch around the time of the Opis mutiny
c) ciliarchy was not executive role with political or military power, but the court position that controlled access to the king.
Not answering for Agesilaos, but on my own behalf.

The Macedonian chiliarchy was the command of the lead hipparchy (agema) of the Companion cavalry and the command of that cavalry.

Hephaestion was far more likely appointed "chiliarch of the Companion cavalry" (χιλίαρχον ἐπὶ τῇ ἵππῳ τῇ ἑταιρικῇ) at the time of the "parking" of Cleitus to satrapal duty prior to his murder. One of two "hipparchs" removed, the cavalry was reworked into eight hipparchies (agema included) and Hephaestion made "chiliarch of the companion cavalry". Essentially Philotas' position other than the fact that Hephaestion commanded the "first" hipparchy (the agema) as well. This role clearly had military power by definition of command of the cavalry. What "ceremonial" duties it may have entailed is nowhere elucidated. There likely were few if any as the somatophylakes clearly controlled access to the king.
Paralus

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

[2]αὐτὸς δὲ ἐπιλεξάμενος τῶν τε ἑταίρων τὸ ἄγημα καὶ τὴν Ἡφαιστίωνος ἱππαρχίαν
ARR V 12

As you can see the agema is listed separately from Hephaistion's hipparchy so the two cannot be the same. When Philotas had charge of the Companion Cavalry Kleitos the Black commanded the Royal Squadron.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:AIUI? Not up to speed on text acronyms.
"As I Understand It", Agesilaos! :D
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Nunc rem intelligo :D
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

agesilaos wrote:So there is good evidence that the Achaemenid post Alexander took over was a cavalry command... The reason for thinking Arrian conflated the offices of Hephaistion is not based on anything in the sources but on the mistaken belief that the ‘hazarapatis’ functioned as a sort of Ottoman Grand Vizier; the analogy is false.
Nobody has suggested that the Hazarapatis did not command cavalry in warfare. It is obvious that he often did: Hephaistion often did. All the arguments showing this are quite irrelevant to the more specific question of whether the Chiliarchy was identical with or conjoined with an elite cavalry command in the sense that one could not be Hazarapatis without commanding a specific unit of elite cavalry.

Only Arrian, Anabasis 3.21.1 could be taken to imply that the Persian Chiliarchy was conjoined with a cavalry command, but he is accepted to have been confused on the relationship between the Chiliarchy and an independent cavalry command in general.

Let's take a quick look at what the authoritative Persian Empire experts say about the Persian rank of Hazarapatis/Chiliarch, so that people can judge for themselves whether it was really a cavalry command in the Persian army or a type of Grand Vizier in the Persian Court.

Pierre Briant in From Cyrus to Alexander wrote:
FromCyrusToAlexanderPierreBriant.jpg
FromCyrusToAlexanderPierreBriant.jpg (52.5 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
The Cambridge History of Iran has:
CambridgeHistoryOfIran.jpg
CambridgeHistoryOfIran.jpg (130.03 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
Clearly, this was a Grand Vizier role controlling audience access to the king. It also involved command of a personal or palace guard of the king. Insofar as Hephaistion had any such role it was as Commander of Alexander's seven elite bodyguards rather than his command of the Companion Cavalry. There is no basis in anything that has been stated to refute the standard scholarly position on this matter.

Best wishes,

Andrew