Karanos Philippou

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Online version of Justin

Post by marcus »

I fear, Susan, that my Latin is far too rusty for that sort of exercise.Perhaps I should just save up for the OUP translation!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

The OUP have only translated books XI and XII with Excerpts of IX, the Alexander books. Arrhidaeos dies in XIV but there is no note of his age merely that it happened six years after Alexander's death. Still, what a great resource cheers, Susan.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Karanos Philippou

Post by agesilaos »

Thanks, Sikander,I hope it doesn't read too disparagingly, 'Great play' etc, it was more of a device to kick start the long dormant grey-cells than a serious sneer and I hope it has caused no offence. In fact I found a good deal I disagreed with in the detail of the peice but strangely I found the conclusion perfectly plausible! God help the accused if I ever get jury service!Rest asssured I will revise this et al and post it in the main body of the site in a more seriously academic mould, if I'm allowed,
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks, Karl. I didn't realise how much/little they had done. I remember seeing it on the shelf in Blackwells in Oxford and just looking at the price... before putting it back quickly!Perhaps I'll need to wait until Susan has finished translating the online version :-)
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
x

Re: Karanos Philippou

Post by x »

Hello Karl:Of course one has to consider if Kleopatra was pregnant before she was married - this would not exclude her from having two children and would necessitate a marriage. As well, she could have bore twins. Of course one can use the argument that the exclusion of Karanos in the other sources does not prove Justin is incorrect, but conversely, his inclusion of Karanos doesn't prove he was correct either. Justin also refers to the 'many sons' of Philip which we also have no evidence for. One can argue both sides of the existence of Karanos with equal gusto. And what if Satyrus has it all wrong? :-)As for the marriage, my take on that is it was a 'show' for the Greeks. Disaffected heirs are not good PR for a Macedonian King as the past history of the Argead house proves. Alexander wasn't going to get to stay in Illyria or anywhere else but under the King's watchful eyes. The wedding itself did nothing to enhance Alexander's position, it removed his nuclear family. It is not a stretch to conclude that Alexandros of Epirus and Alexander were probably not on very good terms. If indeed Philip was interested in enhancing his son's position, he would have married his sister or Alexander into a powerful Macedonian family. But of course is the King of Macedon at all interested in having an heir good enough to supplant himself increasing his power? Absolutely not.Just playing devil's advocate.
susan
Somatophylax

Justin translation

Post by susan »

As far as I can see, the initial translation of the relevant line in Justin is :
The rival to the command, Caranus, the brother born to his step-mother, he looked after [ or took care to] having killed.I've only just started the translation but it looks fairly straightforward.
Susan