aalexander and Hepheation

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

geo

aalexander and Hepheation

Post by geo »

Hi all, I know the two knew each other from child hood,but was it a one sided affair? How could H spurn A if he wanted to, him being king and all?
What proof do we have to really prove H's love for the King.
G
Federico

Re: aalexander and Hepheation

Post by Federico »

I think there weren't great problems. Alexander was a king, but Hephaestion was one of the hetairoi, one of the macedonian nobles. Nobles were at close contact with macedonian king, so a homosexual love wasn't so impossible. The difference between the ruling family and other nobles was not so high. Macedon was a military kingdom ruled by a king voted and elected by the assembly of the men at arms. The figure of the king is similar to the "primus inter pares" situation. If Hephaestio loved Alexander... I don't know, however he's described as the shadow of the king, always present where the king was present. Maybe a strict relationship based on friendship changed into a form of love. Homosexual love was not so strange and rare in Greek world and Ancient world in general. In my opinion Alexander was not homosexual, but bisexual. He was a man transported by passion beyond the Hercules' columns built by nature. He was exceptional and probably only a man as he was could reach so great success and accomplish such an enterprise.
Phobos ka+¼ Deimos

Federico
ina

Re: aalexander and Hepheation

Post by ina »

you, know frederico, i think they both loved each other very very much. which is why hephaestion never left alexander's side and alexander wept when hephaestion died.