Moderator: pothos moderators

dario

what about his generals who do you think was "the stron

Post by dario »

I say Antigonus
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Antigonus came close to uniting Alexander's empire. He did so with large forces at his disposal and, in the end, failed to carry the day against the coalition mounted against him (as Perdiccas had failed in the beginning) as others would. It was the repeated scenario: one becomes too powerful and the others cobble together a marriage and alliance of convenience to oppose.

Ptolemy too had a decent shake. He had vast tracts of Coele-Syria, the Aegean Islanders as allies and - as did they all - proclaimed the autonomy of the Greek cities whilst scheming to take them. By the Peace of the Dynasts, in 311, he and Antigonus were the two powerhouses. Losses in Cyprus (Salamis) of both ships and men and the lucky escape of 306 when Antigonus' invasion of Egypt went badly awry essentially crippled Ptolemy's wider ambitions. In 302, when the coalition that brought Antigonus to the negotiating table in 312/11 (Ptolemy, Lysimachus and Seleucus) decided Antigonus looked likely to take Macedonia, they went to war. Ptolemy took Syria and then promptly abandoned it - and the alliance - on the news of Antigonus moving in his direction. Seleucus came to Lysimachus' aid and Antigonus died on the battlefield of Ipsus.

This brings me - eventually - to my choice: Seleucus. He had already carved out (with Ptolemy's not entirely philanthropic assistance) an empire in the east centred on Babylon. He was, in the fall-out of this battle - to get Coele-Syria but found much had been occupied by Ptolemy. Although Coele-Syria would be fought over by the Ptolemies and Seleucids for generations, Seleucus came closest than any of the Diadochoi to winning the lot - or as near to it as you can get. After Coropedium in 281 (where he defeated Lysimachus, ruler of Macedonia and Thrace), he ruled all of Alexander's empire with the exceptions of Egypt and what was Porus realm (under Alexander). He was bumped-off by the somewhat unhinged Ptolemy Keraunos as he was crossing to Europe.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Personally, I have always rated Lysimachos, it was his generalship that undid Antigonos at Ipsos, as it had forestalled his attack on Thrace in 311. He lacked the resources of the other Diadochs yet expanded his territories both militarily and diplomatically until he became the paramount power bestriding the Hellespont. The gossip about his court is also somewhat juicier than that of his rivals and despite the extinction of his line after Korupedion a favourable tradition persists in the sources alongside the more hostile one originating with Hieronymos, so the old goat had some admirers. His coinage persisted into roman times which cannot be said of the other Successors'.

Maybe I am just bitter and twisted, but he does demonstrate some nice touchs of Real-Politik whilst avoiding the divine pretensions of his contempories.Strategic vision, political aplomb, raging paranoia and senile satyriasus - he gets my vote. (PS Iknow you don't vote for kings)
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

While Alexander was alive, I would argue that Hephaistion was the strongest. Perhaps not with respect earned or even militarily, but he undoubtedly had the most influence on Alexander and his decision making. (When his opinion could have been added, that is) Like Alexander's seers, who also had an unbelievable amount of power which is often not discussed, Hephaistion could have, and I'm sure did, persuade Alexander in his choices. After all, Hephaistion was put in charge of half the Companion cavalry (if I'm not mistaken, my mind is drawing a blank), which held a great deal of power. Had Hephaistion lived longer than Alexander, I could see him commanding the Persian, Indian and other Oriental soldiers in the war with the other Successors. He had acquired a fair amount of respect and admiration from these people due to his eagerness to adopt their customs, versus the other Macedonian generals. He could have put a great fight, as he was a competent general as well.

After Alexander's death, I would go with Ptolemy, based solely off the prosperity in Egypt and the power he held there. Alexandria, the 'first great city', thrived under his leadership and developed into what Alexander had probably envisioned it growing into.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

agesilaos wrote:He lacked the resources of the other Diadochs yet expanded his territories both militarily and diplomatically until he became the paramount power bestriding the Hellespont. The gossip about his court is also somewhat juicier than that of his rivals and despite the extinction of his line after Korupedion a favourable tradition persists in the sources alongside the more hostile one originating with Hieronymos, so the old goat had some admirers.
That is very true. He was given the unenviable task of managing Thrace - a large area of which was virtually independent at the time of Alexander's death. This was an ongoing struggle that occupied the paltry resources allocated him by a rather cunning and aggrandising Perdiccas. To go with Agesilaos' theme here it might well be argued that, in dispatching his major rivals to positions safely away from Babylon, Perdiccas showed his respect for a person that Heckel cogently argues was a symatophylax of Philip by sending him Thraceward.

There was indeed much that an ancient “National Enquirer” would have found to publish about Lysimachus’ court – a court that Demetrius likened to a comic stage (and, obviously, Lysimachus a player upon it). Indeed, when Lysimachus observed that he’d not ever seen a prostitute on the tragic stage (a jibe at Demetrius’ prostitute mistress) Demetrius replied that his Lamia behaved more chastely that Lysimachus’ “Penelope” (in reference to his first wife Nicaea).

The Diadochs also coined what might be referred to as “dinner party” or symposium epithets for their rivals: Seleucus, who traded his eastern provinces for the elephants of Ipsus is the Elephantarch; Ptolemy, who lost his navy at Salamis, is the Nauarch and Lysimachus, supposed poor and tight with money is the Gazophylax - tight with his treasure.

As to Ipsus, whereas Lysimachus’ contribution to the campaign should not be minimised, it is generally assumed that Demetrius’ headlong pursuit of Antiochus – exposing his eighty-something year old father leading the phalanx – that lead to Ipsos becoming old One-Eye’s undoing:
Demetrius, with the largest and best part of the cavalry, clashed with Antiochus, the son of Seleucus; he fought brilliantly and routed his enemy, but by pursuing him too fiercely and eagerly he threw away the victory. For he himself was not able to turn back and rejoin his infantry, since the enemy's elephants were thrown in his way; and Seleucus, observing that his opponents' phalanx was unprotected by cavalry, took measures accordingly. (Plutarch, Dem. 29.3)
Just how does one "throw" an elephant in anyone's way?

Just on Monophthalmos, Plutarch paints him as “stretching out his hands towards heaven prayed that the gods would grant him victory, or a painless death before his defeat.” (Dem. 28.2). The gods, never forgetful of certain things, evidently recalled his treatment of Alketas, Antigenes and Eumenes and thus he fell under a hail of javelins.

You sow, you reap.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

A great Team

when we grade and look at Alexanders generals. Most of them we gotta bear one thing in mind they basically all came fromthesame school and had the same teachings. I wonder if they were good generals, because they basically grew up with Alexander and went to school with him. They must have had a good slant from Alexander.

Was he the pure genius or was he with a good team. Although he constantly changed amd overalled his team with no effect on his success. I gues most of the generals particullaly those of his age took pages from his book.

I feel Clietus was great commander. He served Philip and Alexander very well. He was deep rooted and traditional Macedonia. A no hairs a nd grace kind of man. Im sure he was loyal even wth Alexander. We all have grievences and kkep stumm. Its a shame the guy got pissed and lost his mouth. Im sure Alexander had no wish or desire to kill or be rid of him as he most certainly did Parmenio and his gobby son.

kenny