Amyntas- king of Macedonia

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

Amyntas- king of Macedonia

Post by dean »

Hello,

I was reading the book by Robin Lane Fox. After reading the second chapter a few times, the following interesting points (for me at least) surfaced.

I was not aware of the real threat that Amyntas posed to Alexander after the death of Philip. Curiously Fox mentions Amyntas had visited an oracle which had addressed him many years before the death of Philip as the king of Macedonia. Looking at it, Philip was regent for Amyntas for a time until he prove that he could be a splendid king. So really the crown was Amyntas's in the beginning.I can see also now why the threat of Attalus and daughter/grandchild was so real for Attalus could easily try to put himself forward as regent. It is amazing how Alexander dealt with all possible threats to his being king even briefly stopping taxation on the soldiers to sweeten them up.

Finaly, I also wasn't aware that Attalus was Parmenio's son in law creating a delicate position so to speak when it was a question of executing all possible threats to the crown. Parmenio was of course in a delicate position himself having three sons in the army. Fox mentions that Philotas and Amyntas were friends although I have never come across the detail in the sources.

But the most interesting detail I got out of the chapter was that Perdiccas and Craterus were from Orestis, a part of Epirus so therefore Fox, conjectures that Olympias helped to create the young kings circle of closest friends- even speculating that Ptolemy also was of similar origin. ? :) :?:

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
Callisto
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Callisto »

Hello,

Amyntas certainly posed a visible threat to Alexander as he was the rightful heir to the kingdom of Macedon, being the son of Perdicas III and furthermore he was older than Alexander. In fact, Philip secured his throne by managing to deprive him of his title and marry him to his daughter Cynane/Cynna who was more than his match in character and in deeds.

The honors, Amyntas received from greeks ie Oropus, mentioning him as Basileus, couldnt have passed without notice from Alexander and had their share in his decision for execution. It may be possible also to assume that the charges of conspiracy against him, had to do also with the instigation of Cynane who certainly would prefer her husband and father of her child, to rule rather than her half brother Alexander.

Fox claim that Philotas and Amyntas were friends is based from an older account coming from Berve. Berve assumed these two were friends, since they appeared to be very close in age. Most probably they were syntrophoi at the court and became close friends.

Regards
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Amyntas- king of Macedonia

Post by marcus »

dean wrote:Looking at it, Philip was regent for Amyntas for a time until he prove that he could be a splendid king. So really the crown was Amyntas's in the beginning.
Just to clarify, Dean - do you mean that Philip was regent until Philip could prove he could be a splendid king? (Amyntas, at the time, being merely a baby, of course.)
But the most interesting detail I got out of the chapter was that Perdiccas and Craterus were from Orestis, a part of Epirus ...
I'll have to check that - my understanding has always been that Orestis was an area of Upper Macedonia, admittedly near Epirus, but not part of Epirus. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that my understanding was different. Heck, this tired old brain of mine isn't holding info as it used to ... :cry:

ATB[/quote]
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Hello,

Orestae, along with Elimiotae and Lyncestae were initially part of Molossian ethne, and later they were incoporated into the Macedonian kingdom. You could find them under the names Orestae Molossi and later as Orestae Makedones.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Callisto wrote:Orestae, along with Elimiotae and Lyncestae were initially part of Molossian ethne, and later they were incoporated into the Macedonian kingdom. You could find them under the names Orestae Molossi and later as Orestae Makedones.
Ah, OK. But I don't think they were ever part of the Epirote kingdom, merely part of the Molossian confederacy. It wasn't as if Philip, when he incorporated the areas into Macedonia, was taking land from Epirus.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

marcus wrote:
Ah, OK. But I don't think they were ever part of the Epirote kingdom, merely part of the Molossian confederacy. It wasn't as if Philip, when he incorporated the areas into Macedonia, was taking land from Epirus.

ATB
Truth is that all these tribes of upper Macedonia (Elimiotae, Timfae, Orestae, Lyncestae, Pelagones) had their own monarchical system, each one having a native royal house. Initially, although independent, they were politically connected with Molossians, sth that means, they accepted the hegemony of the Molossian king and they had a free way into the pasturelands of that region. Hecateus used to call them 'Molossian Ethne' while Thucidides regarded them as 'Macedonians'. Their areas were incoporated into Macedonian kingdom during the time of Persian invasion in Greece.They were subjected to Xerxes and he gave to Alexander I (philhellene) the possesion of the region.
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Even excellent Homer nods.

Post by dean »

Hello,

I am sorry for not replying so soon but had gone on a week's holiday so have been away from my p/c
Just to clarify, Dean - do you mean that Philip was regent until Philip could prove he could be a splendid king? (Amyntas, at the time, being merely a baby, of course.)
Just to clarify, I meant that once Philip had shown that he "had what it takes" then there was no need to consider Amyntas as king. Admittedly he was two at the time when Philip took on the regency and twenty five when Philip died or around that age. I am amazed that Philip let the boy live to manhood- Alexander certainly wouldnt'. In fact Philip even gave Amyntas his daughter's hand in marriage from an Illyrian mistress.
Again, I think it is interesting how Philip through family ties or marriages tried to gain support from the toughest cookies of the neighbourhood.
Quote:
But the most interesting detail I got out of the chapter was that Perdiccas and Craterus were from Orestis, a part of Epirus ...

I'll have to check that - my understanding has always been that Orestis was an area of Upper Macedonia, admittedly near Epirus, but not part of Epirus. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that my understanding was different. Heck, this tired old brain of mine isn't holding info as it used to ...
It seems that I should have reread it a few more times, as Orestis is a kingdom as you quite rightly say near to Epirus.

Another little mistake that I made in the original post was that of Attalus being the grandfather of Philp and Eurydice's child- he was of course the great Uncle.

OOps!!! :oops: But even Homer nods or something like that... :lol:

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Even excellent Homer nods.

Post by marcus »

dean wrote:Another little mistake that I made in the original post was that of Attalus being the grandfather of Philp and Eurydice's child- he was of course the great Uncle.
I didn't notice that one, anyway, Dean - and, as you say, even Homer ...

I agree with you about Philip allowing Amyntas to live. I suppose that, by the time he was of any sort of age to mount a threat, Philip was so firmly entrenched that he wouldn't have got anywhere. Still, Philip's hold over Macedonia was probably secure only so long as he kept providing victories, slaves and booty - had things gone wrong, then he might have had to do away with Amyntas to prevent a coup ... or perhaps he feared Alexander and kept Amyntas there as a rival to Alexander. As it was, Amyntas' chips were cashed in as soon as Alexander was king ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK