Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire"

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Bucephalus

Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire"

Post by Bucephalus »

Robin Waterfield "Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire"

It is incredibly entertaining and interesting position. British author convinces us that the years following death of Alexander remains forgotten. And it shouldn't! It was a tumultuous time with adventures, passion, intrigues, broken promises and broken alliances. And that is exactly what Robin Waterfield writes about. Alexander didn't prepare his emporium for his death so his followers had to manage.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book!
I work at datastical
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire"

Post by Alexias »

I'll give it a try!
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire"

Post by dean »

Hi,

Just finished this book a couple of days back.

Was certainly not disappointed. The books delves into the wars following Alexander's death.
After reading the book I found on the last pages, a list of personae dramatis which would have helped with so many similiar names throughout the book. I couldnt keep up with the names of all the people.

It was fascinating to find out the fates of all the characters I had encountered while studying Alexander.

There obviously is a major focus on Antigonus but also Ptolemy, Seleucus also are talked about in depth along with many others.

Many interesting facts too such as there being only one state that respected Alexander's exile degree which I was previously reading about in a book on Demosthenes. Whilst on the subject thought the inscription on a bronze statue erected in his honour was interesting
"If your strength had matched your wits,Greece would never have fallen to a Macedonian warlord" plut 30.5

Just a curiosity, I found it so surprising that many of Alexanders general lived to such an age. Ptolemy 84, Seleucus 77, Antipater 81 and Antigonus 81 years old.
In an age of conspiracy, dog eats dog and other such shenanigans it seems incredible that they could have reached such a noble age.

I also am aware that many of the characters also died terribly young too, Adea or Eurydice being one. When she is imprisoned and sent a noose, poison or cup of hemlock it could be none other than Olympias to send such a present and choice as to how she wants to end her life. (Sounds like something out of game of thrones.)

Found the whole book a thoroughly good read and it is excellent giving you a wonderful insight into the years following Alexander's death. Great for me as I was looking to enlarge my knowledge of the period after Alexander.

Mr Robin Waterfield has written an excellent book, well done!

Dean.
carpe diem