J.R. Ellis Philip II and Macedonian Imperialism

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nikas
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

J.R. Ellis Philip II and Macedonian Imperialism

Post by Nikas »

Hi everyone,

I had read this a number of years ago, and recently found it in a used bookstore for a very attractive price so added it to my collection while enjoying another go with it.

It occurred to me, this author hasn't published a book since the mid-seventies from what I can tell. I really enjoyed the book and his analysis, but does anyone know whatever happened to Mr. Ellis?
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: J.R. Ellis Philip II and Macedonian Imperialism

Post by agesilaos »

He contributed two chapters to the revised Cambridge Ancient History c1996, 'Macedonia and NW Greece' and 'Creating the Macedonian Hegemony' both in volume VI 'The Fourth Century' beyond that, like Manuel 'I know nurthing' :lol:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Nikas

Post by Nikas »

agesilaos wrote:He contributed two chapters to the revised Cambridge Ancient History c1996, 'Macedonia and NW Greece' and 'Creating the Macedonian Hegemony' both in volume VI 'The Fourth Century' beyond that, like Manuel 'I know nurthing' :lol:
Thank you Agesilaos. He does not appear to be the most prolific of writers apparently :)
abm

Post by abm »

Gnomon lists 26 items under his name: http://www.gnomon-online.de/hzeig.FAU?s ... 2C+John+R. L'année philologique has 22 hits, and (ordered in descending chronological order) the first of these isn't included in Gnomon. I haven't compared the rest.

It is perhaps worth noting that the Gnomon database is now also availble in English. It's a very useful free database.