Re-writing my Novel on Alexander

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re-writing my Novel on Alexander

Post by lysis56 »

***Since posting this I have gotten several emails from people who have been really wonderful in urging me not to give up. Thank you, to all of you. I've spent the day going through the historical novel as it stands so far and I do believe it is a worthy piece of work, altough it is still in early days. :wink: I've got about fifteen chapters for this historical work and now thanks to all your good thoughts and kind words I know I can go back at it. IF Alexander could rebuild the mole at Tyre after the Tyrians had destroyed it the first time I know I can do this, it's a hell of a lot easier than it would have been to rebuild that damn mole! :D

__________-
Being a writer is difficult enough, and to find that after years of working on a novel one has gone in a poor direction is discouraging. However, there is always hope. After some thinking about my newly published ebook, The Books of Alexander, based on some thoughtful and well placed comments by various individuals I have gone back and am rewriting the project from the original historical concept with a new title. This was what I wanted from the beginning. If it is difficult to get a pulse on what will sell and be accepted by the publishing field and the reading public at large. Sometimes one gets off in the wrong direction, Alexander did this himself on occassion, but he knew never to give up nor do I. I know that writing the best work I can on Alexander is my goal.

What I find as a writer difficult is to get honest, fair criticism that will help one realize where one might have strayed. I respect other individuals who are able to do this in a kindly, honest manner.

I think there is room enough in this world for many books on Alexander. There are many of us out there who love and revere the man and want to show him to the world through the eyes which we see him, as a man of honor, dignity and great deeds. That is the intention of my work. I realize that in approaching a subject matter in which the scholarly world has long held the pulse one must be diligent and careful in one's approach of one's subject. However, in all honesty unless any of us living today personally knew Alexander "then" we are all writing about him based on our own private view of worship and hopeful perspective. Yes, we buoy this up with research and other methods, but even for the most devoted of scholars in the end we are writing about an individual whom we know through history and as such can only ever interpret our views of him through our own distorted lenses.

I never intended, as some might have suggested to insult Alexander and his legend in any manner with my book, THE BOOKS OF ALEXANDER, like all writers I was trying to get my view of the man I have come to know across in a manner in which I thought might help other people, especially those only familiar with him from the perspective of Stone's movie, which was Mr. Stone's view of Alexander, which I applaud him for making and sharing with the rest of us. We should all be so fortunate. Sometimes in trying to do something we end up going a bit too far, I admit I did that. I'm sure we've all done that in our lives in one manner or another. Part of any creative process is experimentation, and that only comes through trial and error. You cannot achieve growth any other way.

Rather than cutting one another down as writers, let us hope to work in a spirit of good heartedness and give our best to our subject who surely if anyone ever has been is deserving of it.

Thank you, Lysis
Arete

Re: Re-writing my Novel on Alexander

Post by Arete »

So I'm posting three months too late. But I did have to say keep on going with the novel.

Alexander is so versatile. He changes with everyone's perceptions. We each have our Alexander. This is what makes it fascinating to read different books of academia, and historical fiction as well as movie and documentary portrayals. And that is why, I think, there can never be enough writing on him.

I really do hope you can find luck, and I can read it one day (although you might not want that, I am rather to fond of constructive criticism, even if I love what I'm reading and the said flaws are small. I love it when even the smallest of weaknesses in my prose are pointed out to me, so I do the same and you can bet I review in some form everything I read).

Good luck in your endeavor!
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Hello Arete,

I'm responding to your comment rather late as well. :D Thank you for your kind and good wishes with my novel. It's going well and I think it is, perhaps, a good thing that the first attempt failed. I have a much clearer vision of the novel I am writing now, which is not just about Alexander, but about Alexander and Hephaistion both which was always my goal. I can't think of Alexander and his achievements without thinking of Hephaistion as an equal. I am doing further research this next year in Greece and hopefully in Iraq. I'm not hurrying to finish this work. I know the story I want to present to the public, and it is more important to me to write the story I "envision". Anyway, thank you for your good wishes.

Lysis56
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

lysis56 wrote: I am doing further research this next year in Greece and hopefully in Iraq.
Do let me know how you get on with getting into (and out of) Iraq! It's still my number 2 most-wished-for place to visit, but I'm not sure I could afford the insurance! :D I'll be interested to know how you plan on doing it!

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Arete

Post by Arete »

I'm so glad to hear that, Lysis!

And I can believe that the second attempt is going better than the first-I've done a lot of writing myself and may or may not start an Alexander novel one day-and I find the more you write, re-write, re-do, discover, re-discover, etc-the better your writing becomes.

And, fill me in along with Marcus about how you're traveling to Iraq! I would love to go there one day, but I also don't know how I'd pay for the insurance. I am going to Greece in a year though, so I'll look forward to that. :D
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Many thanks to Marcus' and Arete's kind comments. I may hold up my trip to Greece in my attempt to gain permission into Iraq. Yes, it a bit tricky regarding permission, etc. and yes, not to mention the insurance, etc. in going there, but I am hopeful! I would dearly like to get there before the ruins of Babylon are destroyed by the pipeline construction. Although, from what I hear, that might be the best thing that could happen to them. I don't know, anytime any military is involved in things, during war or peacetime there's always some sort of heavy politicing going on, and that can be both good and bad. In the meantime, my research has lead me toward new views of various characters, i.e. Bagoas which I've been working toward for some time. I do want, when I do finally get this damn book finished, for it to be the best I can write. I'm also taking a brief break to finish another novel, which is not historical. Sometimes one needs a break even from Alexander!

Thanks, Lysis
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings to our new writers.

Best of luck on your work!

I have not been on the forum much of late due to preparing for a major move (that will happily allow me more access to civilization <laughing>), but I am looking forward to all the new works coming in.

Regards,
Sikander
Arete

Post by Arete »

That does sound tricky, Lysis. I didn't hear anything about the ruins of Babylon being affected by pipeline construction. Why does that benefit them? *Goes off to do some research*

Well, I have started a WIP on Alexander. Not exactly a novel, but a lengthy work looking at Alexander through the eyes of many important, and not so important players in his conquests. So far I've written Olympias (whose really fun to write) and Hellanike.

Hope you like your new place, Sikander!

Arete
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Arete, I realize I didn't explain my comment about the pipeline clearly. I am sorry. What I meant was it could be a good thing for the ruins because many eyes, the international archological community, US military as well as other foreign militiaries will be watching to see that nothing gets more messed up than it already is. Sometimes, not always, of course, but sometimes when something such as the pipeline project goes through an historic area there are benefits to the ruins. We can only keep our fingers crossed and pray that the pipelline could turn out to be a silverlining for the ruins. Clearly, so much depends on POLITICS, for at least one of the dirtiest words in any language.

Your book sounds fascinating. Have you checked out Elizabeth's Carney's work, primarily to my mind is her book on women in the monarchy in Macedon. I"m sorry I don't have the book nearby. It is an excellent source of information for the women in Alexander's world. I'm glad to see someone writing about Olympias and Hellenike. They were so important in his early development, I just don't think enough can be said about that. I'd love to hear more about it. May the Gods be with you in your writing!

Welcome back, Sikander. Glad you are back among us. Now, try and stay dry.

Lysis
Arete

Post by Arete »

No need to apologise, Lysis! I was a little bit confused, but I understand now. :D

I do hope that the ruins benefit, then. I think it's unfortunate when historical ruins aren't looked after or are damaged. Of course, between a choice of protecting artifacts and human lives I'd always choose the latter, but otherwise I'm of the opinion that we should do all we can to protect and preserve them.

I've been on the lookout for Carney's book, but I haven't found it. I'll get my hands on it somehow-I've heard many good things about it, and while I think I did an at least okay job writing these two women with the knowledge and research I have done so far, I would like to learn more about women in the monarchy in Macedonia. I think looking at Alexander's early childhood would be best through the eyes of his mother and nurse, and it was important to include them.

Thank you, and may the gods also be with you in yours! Please do keep us updated with how the novel is going, and everything you research in Iraq and Greece (I'm a tad bit jealous, here :lol: )

Arete
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Arete wrote:I've been on the lookout for Carney's book, but I haven't found it. I'll get my hands on it somehow-I've heard many good things about it, and while I think I did an at least okay job writing these two women with the knowledge and research I have done so far, I would like to learn more about women in the monarchy in Macedonia. I think looking at Alexander's early childhood would be best through the eyes of his mother and nurse, and it was important to include them.
Carney's book is available on Amazon UK for only £45. It's also available on Amazon US for about $55.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Arete, have you also considered looking into the influence, though it may be harder to uncover, what little there is about Alexander's grandmother, on his father's side? From what I've read, Eurydike, that was her name, or at least her royal name, was an extremely powerful woman in her own right, and has an interesting history. Some historians seem to think she was a monster and other are more favorable to her. She was the wife of Amyndas III, and in Carney's book is discussed in Chapter 2. My personal view is she probably was alive during Alexander's early years, obviously I can't prove this, historically, but as I recall when Philip made his familial dedication at Dephi after Chaeronia it was said he included a statue in her honor. I would presume he did the same for his father, Amyndas. From what I have read of Eurydike, she sounds a little bit like Olympias, or rather Olympias a little like she in temperment, strong willed, resilient, possibily willing to sacrifice whatever was necesarry, her pride, perhaps even her person, although appropriately? (not sure I'm expressing that properly) to keep her children's claim to the Macedonian throne intact, etc.?

Hmmm, psychologically speaking, we may entertain an interesting question here - did Philip marry his mother (so to speak) when he met and fell in love, or lust with Olympias? This, then leaves a question, did Alexander do the same with marriage to Roxshanna. (That is if one believes he fell in love with Roxshanna or was their's purely a polticial marriage for the sake of alliance?) Pure speculation on my part, but human nature being what it is one wonders...

Just wanted to share that bit of info. with you.

Lysis
Arete

Post by Arete »

Thank you, Marcus! I'm really old fashioned and I have to admit looking online slipped my mind... :oops:

I have to admit I haven't, Lysis. Other than the fact that she was Illyrian (at least that's what I've heard) I haven't heard much of Eurydike. But when I get my hands on Carney's book, I'll read up about her. It's interesting that the Macedonian royal family seemed to attract strong and scary women.

That is an interesting psychological hypothesis-that depends on if it is really true that men look for women like their mothers. I can see how they would, as much as that could backfire.

Arete
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Well, what is that saying that if anything can go wrong it will go wrong? Well, it's gone wrong. My trip to Greece is off due to personal issues. I'm aiming for the Spring. Still haven't gotten permission to enter Iraq, but I guess that's moot right now. I guess it doesn't really matter anymore, the novel, books I and II are finished. Now comes the fun part trying to find someone to publish it. I really thought all those sheep and goats I'd been offering to Apollo would have helped, damn!