Has anyone read this new novel yet?

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

sikander
Somatophylax

Has anyone read this new novel yet?

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has read The Curse of Ezekiel Yet? it is a story about the siege of Tyre.

I have a copy waiting at home for me, but am not sure when I will be back to read it.. can anyone give a brief synopsis?

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cf ... 9100550659

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Has anyone read this new novel yet?

Post by marcus »

sikander wrote:Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has read The Curse of Ezekiel Yet? it is a story about the siege of Tyre.
Hi Sikander,

I confess I hadn't heard of it, but it sounds as if it could be a goodie. So much will depend on the translation, though ...

Thanks for the heads up.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hadn't heard of it before now, and a check of Amazon seems to indicate that it hasn't been published over in the U.S. The only copies available are two in the "Marketplace" at over $100 each! I could order a copy from England at a very reasonable price, but I would still prefer to know more about the book before doing so. Chiliarch is definitely our expert on Alexander related novels, so ... Chiliarch, have you read this one? :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings Marcus and Amyntoros,

I hope someone will provide a review! I am trying to avoid sneaking home early <laughing>.

But $100.00?!!? Is that correct? I think we only paid the equivalent of about 25 US dollars.. I thought it was about twelve-thirteen pounds in the UK?

If no one else has read it, I will try to post a review when I get to it, but there could be quite a delay.

Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

sikander wrote: But $100.00?!!? Is that correct? I think we only paid the equivalent of about 25 US dollars.. I thought it was about twelve-thirteen pounds in the UK?
It was certainly only £12-13 on Amazon UK, but it might even have been less. However, it did show as being out of stock currently. I've only gone as far as putting it in my wishlist so far - a few big expenses coming up over the next month or so; but hopefully I'll allow myself some "frivolity" in November, and will see if I can get a copy then.

I am going to the Lebanon in about three weeks, so will be making the trip to Tyre! Hurrah!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

I just ordered it from here for a reasonable price (well under $100) :

http://www.word-power.co.uk/

This other place seems to have it for the same amount as well.

http://www.crowonthehill.co.uk

Will be a while before I will get around to reading it and posting a review though.

Marcus,

It didn't indicate that the novel is a translation. I assumed that the author must have written it in English. Perhaps Sikander can enlighten us?

Sikander,

If you're into the Phoenicians, have you come across the National Geographic special on a genetic study in that region? It deals with some of the issues raised in the review. Apparently most modern day Lebanese, Syrians, Palestinians and Maltese are descendants of the Phoenicians (irrespective of religious affiliation). The Phoenicians themselves are genetically indistinguishable from the people scholars refer to as Canaanites. It's up on youtube if you don't mind the picture quality. The author of the paper is called Spencer Wells. :)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote: I am going to the Lebanon in about three weeks, so will be making the trip to Tyre! Hurrah!

ATB
You just make sure you come back. Not the most stable place in the world. Then again, you did make to Iran and back.

Where to next Old Boy? Afghanistan?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote: You just make sure you come back. Not the most stable place in the world. Then again, you did make to Iran and back.

Where to next Old Boy? Afghanistan?
I assume I'll make it back! It's really a clubbing weekend in Beirut, but will take the chance to go to Tyre, Baalbek, etc.

I would *dearly* love to go to Afghanistan ... and Iraq ... but I value my skin too much at the moment. Next summer will probably be some more of Central Asia (hopefully including Tajikistan to include Alexandria Eschate; or maybe Libya and Tunisia, to take in Carthage. I'm waiting to see ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote: It didn't indicate that the novel is a translation. I assumed that the author must have written it in English. Perhaps Sikander can enlighten us?
Nope, that's true. I assumed that it was in translation, as the writer is Lebanese; but that is an assumption and maybe wrong!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

marcus wrote:Nope, that's true. I assumed that it was in translation, as the writer is Lebanese; but that is an assumption and maybe wrong!
ATB
Marcus,

I'll check when the book arrives. But it's still only on order. *sigh*
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

I have not been able to log-on until just now and can only stay a few minutes..
<laughing> No, no. The book has been translated into English. I would not be so cruel!!

Regards,
Sikander
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Got back from a weekend trip yesterday to find the book in the mailbox. Yay! It appears Nabil Saleh wrote in English. It's not a translation. :)
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings Semiramis,

Many thanks for posting this information. I had been told the book that had been sent for me to read was in English but thought the author was Lebanese; so thought it might have been translated.

If you or another reader will post a brief review, it would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Sikander
Chiliarch

Post by Chiliarch »

I have just finished reading it and must say, that it is a rather dull and dry read. It is basically a story about a young Tyrian and his great love, the daughter of Abdalonymus (of the Alexander Sarcophagus fame) interwowen with the story of Alexander's conquest of Sidon and Tyre.

The novel is well researched, though some artistic licence has been taken, and one has to credit the writer with not writing his characters in black and white. There are, certainly, some heroes and heroines, but surprisingly few villains. Alexander and his Macedonians emerge as conquerers, yes, but not as monsters, as one might have expected, given the nationality of the writer. Hephaistion, indeed, is given his due as a general, an extremely effective intelligence officer and a shrewd diplomat. He is written much more into the novel, than Alexander is. Not surprisingly, as it was he, who chose Abdalonymus as king of Sidon.

The novel begins after Issus and moves on through the surrender of Sidon to the fall of Tyre. The lovers are kept separated by historical events, but the novel, nonetheless, has a happy ending.

And there's an added bonus for the connoisseurs of Hephaistion's thighs - the most famous thighs in all of history :D

As there is no mention of a translator, I do believe that the novel was written in English. A somewhat stilted English at times and with the use of some quaint words, but for a non-native English speaker not a bad efford.

Susanne
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Chiliarch wrote:I have just finished reading it and must say, that it is a rather dull and dry read.
Thanks for the review. I will get it at some point, but perhaps, with so many books on my pile, I might leave it for a bit.

I'm hoping to get to Tyre next week; but as it sits in the area where the Foreign Office advises against travel, and consequently my travel insurance won't cover it, I shall have to decide whether I want to risk it. I'd like to see the mole, though ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK