New Novel

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

New Novel

Post by derek »

All,

As some of you know, my hobby over the last few years has been to write Alexander novels. Well, I’m pleased to say that the third and final volume is finished and available. It’s called “God of War” and covers Alexander’s life through the invasion of India to his death. I know some of you have read and enjoyed the others, and I hope you’ll like this instalment too.

You can read the opening pages at the publisher’s website:

https://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/book ... okid=52760

And for those who are interested, the book is available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/God-War-John-McLe ... 75&sr=11-1

Thanks,

Derek
Alita

Re: New Novel

Post by Alita »

Hi Derek,

I read the short extract of God of War in the link you provided and I must say, it exceeded my expectations. :D I would be interested to read more and may follow it up on Amazon. I'm assuming Derek is not your real name then (as Alita is not mine)? :wink: Anyway, great work and I encourage you in your writing to keep putting out those novels! They will be much enjoyed!! :)
First, be human.
derek

Post by derek »

Alita,

Thanks for the praise. I don’t often get feedback from my books, so it’s very welcome. Amazon has God of War on its “Look Inside”, so you can read more there.

In fact, Derek is my real name, as is John McLeod. They’re my middle names and I thought they sounded more author-like. I was also looking ahead and thought having a pseudonym would allow me to travel incognito when I became a rich and famous author…sigh.

Hope you get to read the book and that you enjoy it. I enjoyed writing it (all three of them), though they turned into a bit of a slog at times. If I write another book I want it to be a bit more commercial, so I’ve been playing with a horror story set in Alexander’s Bactria, with a Macedonian officer in charge of an outpost taking on vampires in the mountains. Its provisional title is “Alexandria-in-Hell”. But I’m not sure whether horror stories are my forte, so it’s a bit on hold at the moment.

Anyway, thanks again!

Derek John McLeod Holmes
Chiliarch

Post by Chiliarch »

Hello Derek,

I have recommended all your novels to my Alexander friends as I find them to be really good, some of the best recent Alexander fiction out there. There is not a lot of it around, so it is a pleasant surprise to come across some really good stuff.

I know what you mean by 'a bit of a slog sometimes', there is all the historical details to be seen to and then there are all the characters to develop. Plus the story of Alexander spans decades, not to mention miles and events. But you have done a splendid job and I have throroughly enjoyed reading your three novels.

Vampires in Bactria? Hmm....I am not really into vampires, but I will read any work of fiction about Alexander. This is my little niche in Alexanderdom. I have tracked down and read all the Alexander fiction, I have been able to, in six different languages and dating back as far as 1583. About 200 works of fiction in all. And, may I add, of very varied quality :)

Congratulations on some fine novels!

Susanne
derek

Post by derek »

Susanne,

Wow! Thanks for that! I’d pretty much given up on writing, but you’ve inspired me to persevere and get back to the vampire book. Even self-publishing for a small audience is more satisfying than not writing anything at all.

Thanks again,

Derek
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Derek, you have hit the realms of fandom! I just found this new story:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8345165/1/T ... nd_To_Rule

WARNING This is sexually explict.

I hope you won't be shocked or offended, but hopefully it might prompt an upsurge in readership for your novels.
derek

Post by derek »

Alexias,

It’s always good to see one of my books being mentioned, so thanks for pointing it out. Everyone I know says, “Go on, sex sells!” but I always feel uncomfortable writing anything too explicit. I have a mental image of my old nan reading it. I’m still plugging away at my vampire book, co-starring Ishtar, the Goddess of Lust. Lots of opportunities for rumpy-pumpy, but I’ll end up writing about waves crashing against the shore.

Still, looks like it’s being done for me.

Thanks again,

Derek