Frank L. Holt's The Mystery of the Elephant Medallions

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Frank L. Holt's The Mystery of the Elephant Medallions

Post by jan »

I just read Nick Welman's review of Alexander and the Mystery of the Elephant Medallions. I finally have a copy and have read the first chapter. Has anyone else read this book? I wish I would have read this book when I first found Alexander, as the first chapter alone has taught me so much that I had not known about the topic. I like Holt's style and ease of knowledge of the subject matter. The importance of Alexander to Napoleon's campaign is news to me, and his desire to be buried in his coffin astonished me. I finally now realize the need to locate Alexander's gravesite if there is such a thing. This is a very exciting book for a beginning student of Alexander, and I cannot emphasize how important it is to know of the numerous scholars who are attracted to this personage. It has silenced me, and I apologize to one and all for my abysmal ignorance until now.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Frank L. Holt's The Mystery of the Elephant Medallions

Post by amyntoros »

Yes, Holt's introductory chapter is probably the best one out there on Alexander. And as his book is number three on the Pothos Top Ten list you can safely assume that many here have read it. :-)We, er, "missed" the Easter edition of the Top Ten didn't we Nick? Will there be a new one for A's birthday or aren't enough members expressing interest or contributing?Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Linda ---I have been sluggish. I promise a new ranking in early July - the very month of A's birthday.Regards ---Nick
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

The value of worms has never been so well examined in relationship to coins before, and it struck my funny bone, as did all the references to William Gladstone. (The school in which I taught was named for Gladstone.)
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I have finished re4ading the entire book now, and the one thing that struck me was the comparison between the coin where Alexander has speared a bodyguard of King Darius's with his spear, and the same scene depicted on the mosaic of the Battle of Issus where again Alexander is seen with his sarissa type spear killing a defender of King Darius. Frank L. Holt describes it as a three key character study, which may be a propaganda device.His discussion of the coins depicting Alexander's emphasis on his divinity is especially interesting to me. The thunderbolt is an open and frank suggestion that Alexander is Zeus. It is interesting to consider the propaganda value of the coins to the troops themselves, as most likely they are used only by them as rewards or monetary value.He has a lively and entertaining style using Darwin, earthworms, and coins to make a statement about the grand design. I enjoyed his sense of wonder.