fire from heaven

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

fire from heaven

Post by chris »

HiCan anyone point me in the direction of a review of this book by Mary Renault. Also persian Boy, author unknown.Many thanks, Chris
justme

Re: fire from heaven

Post by justme »

Sure - you can get a review right on this site. Go to the books section and look for "fiction - good". The Persian Boy is also by Mary Renault and her Funeral Games completes the trilogy. There's another longer review here: http://myweb.unomaha.edu/~jreameszimmer ... nault.html
canto

Post by canto »

You should read "Fire from Heaven" and "The Persian Boy". They are both soooo good. I loved them. I read "The Persian Boy" first and fell in love with Bagoas... crazy over Alexander is a given for me.lightofdawn
S

Post by S »

Greetings,Mary Renault said " I suppose you could say that 'The Persian Boy' and 'Fire From Heaven' were labours of love. I had been annoyed for years by a spate of trendy, imperceptive recent books on Alexander, which left entirely out of account the extraordinary devotion he inspired in people around him, which- and this is the acid test- survived his death when he could neither reward nor threaten anyone.... and I tried to interpret him in the light of his own time and thought, which is so often overlooked by people with an ideological motive for belittling him."It is nice to know the magic still works!Regards,
Sikander
gahauser

Post by gahauser »

I've read everything she has written that I can get my hands on. She is an inspiration to me.
Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

Mary Renault wrote some of the best historical novels.
Another great author : Marguerite Yourcenar (but not about A.)
Ariadne.
Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

Mary Renault wrote some of the best historical novels.
Another great author : Marguerite Yourcenar (but not about A.)
Ariadne.