The Derveni Gorget/Help with Modern Greek

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

The Derveni Gorget/Help with Modern Greek

Post by sean_m »

Plutarch tells us that Alexander, like many North Aegean warriors, wore an iron gorget. The best preserved one is from tomb B at Derveni and is covered in bronze scales. Petros Themelis describes it as follows in his 1997 book ΟΙ ΤΑΦΟΙ ΤΟΥ ΔΕΡΒΕΝΙΟΥ pages 84 and 85:
Β46. Μηνοειδές περιτραχήλιον (Πίν. 19, 95)
=========================================
Ελλιπές κατά τον πυρήνα και την κατακόρυφη ταινία προστασίας του λαιμού (κολλάρου). Αποκατάθηκε και συμπληρώηκε με δέρμα. Λιακοσμημένο μεχάλκινεσ πεταλόσχημες φολίδες, σιην ευθύγραμμη χορδή των οποίων από τρεισ οπές πρόσδεσής. Μέγ. άνοιγμα 0,225 μ.
I would translate that as:
Β. 46 Crescent-shaped gorget (pictures 19, 95)

Incomplete in the core and the upright standing band around the throat (collar). Restored and supplemented with leather. Decorated with πεταλόοχημες bronze scales in a straight line, with three anchor holes. Max. opening 0.225 m.
What does πετα-λόοχημες mean? The word seems to be very rare in modern Greek.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The Derveni Gorget/Help with Modern Greek

Post by system1988 »

Τhe word "πεταλόσχημος' ( petaloschimos) is not so rare in modern greek ,it is probably a technical one ,it means exactly that an object has the shape of a horse s hoof
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Thank you! Maybe the reason I could not find it in dictionaries is that it is a compound word?

Professor Themelis has made his book free to download on academia dot etu
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Yes , is a compound word .Thank you for the pdf ,i have the book... The Derveni papyrus context is very important too, the dead was initiate
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει