Hetairos (companion)

Aegae palace

Post by system1988 »

Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Aegae palace

Post by Jeanne Reames »

I was just there in May, before this part of it opened. It's nice, but I confess, I will miss being able to walk the entire site, as I was able to do in 1997. The restoration of the mosaics is impressive. BUT I was seriously NOT impressed by the "Disney-does-Greece" museum atmosphere in Vergina. The museum was impressive, but also off-putting. Most all of these objects are not just published, but multiply published. There's no academic reason to restrict photography, except *control*. Not unlike parts of the new Akropolis Museum in Athens. I have photos from '97 of objects I wasn't allowed to photograph in '17. There's no logic to that *except*, again, image control, which is antithetical to research. Also, the number of people at Vergina was off-putting. They were like locusts. I get that Greece needs tourist dollars, but Vergina is turning into a show, not an archaeological site.

I was far more impressed by other museums such as Pella and Veroia, Aiani, Ionnina, Dion and, of course, Thessaloniki. But especially Pella impressed me. Less control, more *access*. Mieza remains a hidden gem! Also Veroia and Aiani. And Dodona out in Ioannina! Just...go.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
sikander
Somatophylax

Re: Aegae palace

Post by sikander »

Jeanne Reames wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am
I was far more impressed by other museums such as Pella and Veroia, Aiani, Ionnina, Dion and, of course, Thessaloniki. But especially Pella impressed me. Less control, more *access*. Mieza remains a hidden gem! Also Veroia and Aiani. And Dodona out in Ioannina! Just...go.
Greetings Jeanne,

Thank you for the suggestions. I am afraid many places are becoming less about history and more about tourist dollars. Poor Greece is in dire need.

We are thinking about taking some people on tour in 2020; will give them your suggestions so they can start developing plans!

Regards,
Sikander