Treasury of Atreus

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Treasury of Atreus

Post by Alexias »

In 'Mycenae Agamemnon's capital' by Elizabeth French (who excavated at Mycenae with her father A J B Wace), when discussing the Hellenistic history of the site, she says
The treasuries he (Pausanius) mentions must be the tholos tombs several of which remained partially visible. It has been suggested that they became known as treasuries because of the wealth found within them by looters. Looting may have occurred during the Hellenistic period as we know that Alexander allowed his troops to plunder the Macedonian royal graves.
I couldn't find a reference to this in the sources, but Alexander must have been very short of cash before leaving for Asia. Or he, and perhaps others, felt that in cases of necessity, their ancestors wealth' belonged to them.
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Treasury of Atreus

Post by delos13 »

Alexias, do you know from where the information is coming that Alexander allowed his troops to plunder the Macedonian royal tombs?
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I do believe Elizabeth French might have confused her Macedonian kings. Pyrrhos lost the support of the Macedonians prior to his last disastrous campaign in the Peloponnese when, after securing Macedon, he allowed his Gauls to ransack the royal tombs. Alexander hardly had his father cremated and interred only to allow his troops to plunder his tomb!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by delos13 »

Thank you, Paralus. I dont know much about Pyrrhos, just the most common facts but i think that after alexander's conquests there was more to plunder. Anyway, it is frustrating when people who are considered knowledgible in specific areas dont bother to point out their sources (i mean E. French). I understand how much we dont know and educated guesses are part of job description but those educated guesses should be stated as such not as a given fact.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Ah, that's interesting about Pyrrhus. It might partly explain the rebuilding of part of the walls at Mycencae in the Hellenistic period. I think there was a new tower built in the western wall.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Well, Mycenae is a hop, skip and a jump from Argos where Pyrrhos perished in last, yet again ill fated campaign. A date for the walls would indicate one way or the other though there is no literary note of Pyrrhos annoying the Mycenaeans that I can call to mind. The looting of the Macedonian royal tombs certainly is - as one would expect. Poor old Pyrrhos, having returned broke and broken from Italy, had to pay his mercenaries somehow and turning a blind eye was an inexpensive method!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I haven't been able to find a date for the rebuilding of the walls at Mycenae, but I think the Argives might have had a hand in it. They destroyed Mycenae and Tiryns in 468 BC, and if they allowed Pyrrhos' troops to raid the tombs at Mycenae (or weren't in a position to prevent it) approx. 272 BC, they may have decided to prevent something similar happening again and protect any treasure that was left (but that is guesswork).

I hunted though my photos, and came up with this fortuitous one (I think that is the Hellenistic tower but not 100% sure. It's about the right position though).

There's not a lot to see at Argos. Here's the main street leading to the theatre

Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Typical of Greece: the arable land is used and near every settlement is on a hilltop or mountainside! (Yes, there are other reasons). Did a trip back in 2007 and it was incredible how most towns are off any useful ground - some even clinging to edges!
Attachments
Where Phormio destroyed two Peloponnesian fleets in 427
Where Phormio destroyed two Peloponnesian fleets in 427
DSCF3483.JPG (91.76 KiB) Viewed 180006 times
Achaia
Achaia
DSCF3409.JPG (195.12 KiB) Viewed 180006 times
Achaia
Achaia
DSCF3405.JPG (143.53 KiB) Viewed 180006 times
Paralus

Academia.edu
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Yes, Delphi, of course perched up on the hillside, and the Argive Plain is typical - a ring of hill forts eying each other over the fertile (and perhaps waterlogged) plain - Argos, Mycenae, Midea and Tiryns. The exception is Tiryns, which kept getting flooded!

View from Midea, Argos is off to the right and Tiryns is down by the brown hill.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Very much so - especially the Peloponnese.
Attachments
Looking across to Argos
Looking across to Argos
Mycenae looking to Argos.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 179979 times
Delphi.jpg
Delphi.jpg (81.2 KiB) Viewed 179979 times
The hotel was at the bottom
The hotel was at the bottom
Delphi II.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 179979 times
Paralus

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Been a while since the kids looked that young! Thread's starting to resemble a travelogue. Best start looking for a date for those Hellenistic walls before you feel compelled to bring it back to the point! Nice reminiscing though.Had a marvelous Macedonian red in a restaurant in Delphi. Be nice to go back.
Attachments
The famous gate.
The famous gate.
Lion gate.jpg (102.16 KiB) Viewed 179979 times
Paralus

Academia.edu
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Nothing wrong with Travelogues and Photographs, especially for those who have never been, or can't go for a variety of reasons - which would be the majority of Pothosians!!
That's why System1988's posts are always welcome.......

It allows the experience to be shared, at least to a degree, even if we can't smell the olive groves. :)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Well, in that case Old Man...
Attachments
Propylaia and poser.
Propylaia and poser.
FIL6506.jpg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 179911 times
Acropolis from the rooftop bar of the Attalos Hotel
Acropolis from the rooftop bar of the Attalos Hotel
FIL6321.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 179911 times
Stoa of Attalos
Stoa of Attalos
FIL6315.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 179911 times
Paralus

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

May as well bring it back to some sort of relevance.
Antipatros' unintended winter holiday destination: Lamia.
Antipatros' unintended winter holiday destination: Lamia.
FIL4507.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 179911 times
Gulf of Corinth from Delphi.
Gulf of Corinth from Delphi.
FIL6659.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 179911 times
Mt Olympus.
Mt Olympus.
FIL6750.jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 179911 times
Paralus

Academia.edu
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Xenophon wrote:Nothing wrong with Travelogues and Photographs, especially for those who have never been, or can't go for a variety of reasons - which would be the majority of Pothosians!!
That's why System1988's posts are always welcome.......

It allows the experience to be shared, at least to a degree, even if we can't smell the olive groves. :)
To answer to a good old friend (Xenophon) with whom we share a common acquaintance who has in turn, mentioned us both in one book, I send to you the following 3 photos from the very interesting archaeological site, the Orraon of Molossia (Epirus). I had a dig going there nearby once and I was told that the Orraon was a must-see.

The Orraon was founded in 4th BC while Alketas the First, king of Molossoi was in power (385 B.C). The choosing of the certain site was made in order for the trade route with South to be controlled as well as for the military path which was vital for the kingdom's defence. Alketas had two sons: Arrybas (grandfather of King Pyrros the First of Epirus) and Neoptolemos II (father of Olympias and mother of Alexander the Great). In 168 B.C the village of Orraon was destroyed by Roman general Emilius Paulus. What is remarkable is the fact that it has the only houses of early hellenistic era that still have their upper floor still intact in all of Greece. One can distinguish the openings for the holding parts that held the upper floors as well as the windows.
DSC05370.JPG
DSC05370.JPG (230.41 KiB) Viewed 179627 times
DSC05372.JPG
DSC05372.JPG (232.05 KiB) Viewed 179627 times
DSC05375.JPG
DSC05375.JPG (200.33 KiB) Viewed 179627 times
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει