Hades

Post by Alexias »

A cave which supposedly gave rise to legend of hell

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ead_module
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Hades

Post by system1988 »

Thank you for sharing this. The fact is that there are at least 3 caves in Greece and all hold their fair share at the title of being the gates of Hell. But if I am not mistaken there is a decent number of other cultures that also believe in earth chasms being the routes to the Underworld.

There is a vast bibliography for Alepotrypa (Fox hole) which I have not read and I am a mere citizen- observator of the cave search itself so far. The thing is that dozens of extra kilometres have been discovered and have yet to be explored thoroughly. If I remember this right, hipopotamus bones have also been found in this cave!

I myself visited Deros once and I took a boat ride in its cold, deep dark waters; a scary place to say the least and pretty weird. I felt claustophobic in there and the guide's sugar- coated stories about drippers and stalagmites didn't help much. Anyway, after the obligatory visit to the small museum nearby, I had one of the best swims of my life in a summer sea of dreams as well as the best omelade of my life!
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει