Images of Alexander

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Images of Alexander

Post by amyntoros »

Escrivo wrote:To see and interpret a figure as Alexander simply because it has the classic Alexander "pose" (the tilt of the head to right and a little lifted with the fluid gaze) could be misleading. Let us not forget that Alexander's "syntrophos" and the common soldiers saw Alexander not only as their King and Commander but also as a unique "trendsetter" (for want of a better description) of the Hellenistic age. Like the nape length haircut or the clean-shaven face (as opposed to the older Macedonians or men of the other Greek city states inclusive of Athens), his head "pose" set a certain template which not only those who lived and marched with him adapted but as well as some of the roman public figures. It is not difficult to surmise that people saw this pose as a "body language" norm in expressing greatness (possibly also pothos or arete).
All very true. However, most public figures wanted their sculptures to be recognizable as themselves even when they were portrayed with the attributes of others. For example, the sculptures of Commodus as Herakles are all immediately recognizable as Commodus. (I've been trying for years to give away a rather large, early nineteenth century etching of one of these statues because the face disturbs me. Not surprisingly, I haven't had any takers!) I do think though that when the attributes of Alexander are combined with facial features strongly resembling other known portraits we can justifiably wonder if a work of art is "an Alexander".

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

This one :

"L'Ephèbe d'Agde" is said to be Alexander.
From a town in southern France, anceint greek colony. It's in the Museum there (Musée de l'Ephèbe).
I live not very far.

Ariadne.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

It certainly has an air of Alexander!

Books always seem to use the same images of Alexander, but here are a couple of less familiar ones (courtesy of posts on Yahoo's Alexander's Army) about upcoming exhibitions on Alexander in Amsterdam at the Hermitage Museum and the Allard Pierson Museum. I'm afraid I don't know anything about these images.
Alexander.jpg
Alexander.jpg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Alexander3.jpg
Alexander3.jpg (154.51 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Alexander5a.jpg
Alexander5a.jpg (181.76 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
And, just for fun, here is a clip from John Romer's 1994 Seven Wonders of The Ancient World in which he discusses a head of Alexander. He thinks Alexander was a bit deaf!

http://www.youtube.com/v/7E_VSyYR_Hc
Last edited by Alexias on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

And here's another one that has been touched up (not by me)!
Alexander2a.jpg
Alexander2a.jpg (159.29 KiB) Viewed 2129 times