Are The Lyssipus Statues Priceless

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

jasonxx

Are The Lyssipus Statues Priceless

Post by jasonxx »

I have often wondered what value would be put on the Lysipuss statues on Alexander.

We have several programes on Antiques etc. And more often than not Items of Ancient Antiquities are not very Valuable in Comparison to Faberge. Ming Or even Chippendale Antuiques.

The coins depicting Alexander are not that valuable as they were so hugely produced and easily found. I guess Like Original Elvis Records are not very valuable as there were so many

However I wonder. Or have to assume that the Lysipus statues In the Louvere. Istanbul or the British Museum must be priceless? Considering that Lysipuss was a contemporay of Alexander and it accepts his genius at art did capture Alexander.Of course they are Historical Treasures and irreplacable. On second thoughts I wonder how many Alexander items are locked in some privale Billionaires Illegal Collection never to be seen?

Kenny
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Upon thinking about the Lysipus Staues. What I have seen they do Alexander Great justice and make him look handsome Etc. Would it be fair to assume them to be correct. Do we have any idea of Alexanders Vanity.

I dont recall Alexander been vain. But If Alexander was an ugly Guy with spots warts etc would he allow it to be portrayed. As with Cromwells portraits we see the Phrase warts and all.Of course the Ancients didnt have airbrushing. But maybe a few tweeks here and there.

Anythoughts?

Kenny