No Such Thing as Pure Blood

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

jasonxx

No Such Thing as Pure Blood

Post by jasonxx »

I would like to start a new post about the notion of pure blood. Thoroughbred Greek Macedonian etc. Although 2 to 3 thousand years ago. The races were purer than today. But even then peoples were mixtures of ethnic Movements.

I see what Paralus said about 3rd generation Greeks not calling themselves Ausies. We have so called Bigoted people here who claim to be thoroughbred English which is impossible. We have been rolled over and mixed blood for centuries. We had a programe about a few select pure bred English. Anyway the programe took blood samples and tested it for ancestral DNA. Not surprising most had percentages of Eastern and Mediteranian blood. Some even had far Eastern and Mongholian. :shock:

One woman was so pissed she tried to sue and get her part in the progarme cut out. She had traces of Romany Gypsy and Middle Eastern. I would say thereis pure blood very remote somewhere but it is not Greek. :!:

But the way these melting pots develop is what Following generations learn from the predessors. The English Learned everything they know from the past Conquerers and maved it to another level. As now are the Americans in a money way. Only they are a bit too fast with the guns and fists. and end up in a mess. :oops:

Sorry Paralus that you feel afronted that Greeks wont become Ausies. Try Conning them and call them Anglo Ausie. Sounds more appealing. :lol:

I would say the Australian Aborigines have a fair claim to be pure blood as they have no resemblence to any other cultures :?:

Kenny
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

and call them Anglo Ausie
Why is that? I mean, i didnt get the "Anglo" part.

What defines pure blood? The Greeks were a mixture of Pelasgoi, Ionians , Dorians, Axaioi, and other tribes that were either autohthonus or have migrated from nearby places, or back and forth, as the Dorians.Also some of them married Persian women, and their children were half Greek half Persian, as Herodotus was. And e.t.c.

As we know in the past there were no nations as we define them today. Hellas was only defined by the Greeks themselves, as the sum of areas and people that had similar religion, culture and language.And i say similar because the dodekatheon religion was not worshipped in the same manner in every place, there were dialects in the language ,and of course there were also different customs in every place.As today.

In Greece, this melting pot was probably narrow.Most of the tribes that later identified themselves as hellenes, were of the same area, or nearby area.While in England we have migrations from further away, like the Celts, the Anglosaxons e.t.c. Also it is notable that many Scots, may have meditteranean Greek blood in them apart from Celtic, as in Scotland (and generally in the British island) there were Greek colonies due to the trade.There have been some findings. Also i remind you the "amforeis" pots, "diplopelekys" axes e.t.c. that were found at the United States as well. It is possible that the Cretes or some other early hellenic tribe, as later the Vikings have gone to America in terms of colonization or trade.

The term pure blood does not apply nowhere.Maybe to the aborigines, but even for them, do we know where they originally came from? Generally though if someone (him and his descentants) stays at a place for decades and hundreds of years, he gets some characteristics of the place.
marcus
Somatophylax

Is this relevant?

Post by marcus »

Hmm, not really sure what this thread is actually about.

Apart from the fact that I don't really see what this has to do with Alexander, there's also a great danger of blood on the dancefloor.

Maybe I'm being more sensitive than I need be, but as I'm teaching Nazi Germany to my GCSE classes at the moment, I'm sure you can understand why I'm nervous about continuing a thread that starts talking eugenics!

Can we either (a) make this relevant to Alexander, or (b) give it up?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Yes i would prefer to give it up. Kenny sometimes reminds me of Bob Sas, he used to make questions like this.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Is this relevant? Yes.

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Maybe I'm being more sensitive than I need be, but as I'm teaching Nazi Germany to my GCSE classes at the moment, I'm sure you can understand why I'm nervous about continuing a thread that starts talking eugenics!

Can we either (a) make this relevant to Alexander, or (b) give it up?
Ouch! Been a long time since I've been in class, or taught one for that matter, or copped a clip over the ear. I never said nothin' sir! May as well though…

This seems to have come about due to my observation of how Greeks (today) see themselves and the world. Which observation was to highlight how, back then, the city state Greeks will have seen Macedonia and the rest of the world at large (a la Aristotle).

Another example: My son's best friend will be going "back to" Greece, possibly the end of term not to – at this stage – return. Matters not that he did not come from Greece (he was born here, his parents were brought here as children in single digits), he is going "back". Where, presumably, he will learn to be a better Greek. His mum, whose only friend at our school is my wife, is doing so because although she "likes the country", it's the "people she has a problem with".

Patently, she gave no thought to what she was saying and to whom it was being said. My wife came from Singapore to Australia at age fifteen. She will tell you she is Australian.

It is an attitude, a state of mind, and, it is redolent of the city states' view of both Philip and Alexander and Macedonian imperialism. And mistake it not, it was Macedonian imperialism whose aims were served by Alexander's anabasis, not "Greek". As it will have been under Philip. Recall the city state "levies" were dispensed with as soon as practicable after Persepolis. That many may have been engaged as mercenaries is irrelevant.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

James, this is not always the case with Greeks.It's just that for example with American Greeks, they prefer to have a herritage of 3.000 years old and more than a herritage of 200 years.They are proud of it, and that's why they keep their Greek roots.And want to be named Greeks along with Americans.I guess something similar happens with the Italians there, but maybe not so much.

About the lady that left Australia i dont know.Maybe she felt that Australia wasnt for her, ot just felt that she had to go back to the place of her parents.It happens, with not only Greeks.
stavros

Post by stavros »

Im Australian cause i was born here, i pay taxes here, end of story.

but a 'true' Australian will look at me like a Foreigner, hence why im proud to call myself GREEK
pankration
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

What's it like there?

Post by pankration »

Australia is a beautiful country according to my friends who have lived and holidayed there and I want to make the trip one day. However, from this and other posts on other forums there appears to be a societal intensity we don't see in Canada. The rivalries between ethnic groups appear to be on the edge like the Greeks and the Slavo-Macedonians. The political situation also appears to be quite controversial as there are many politicians who appear to take sides on these disputes.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

The Skopians want their newly born country to be named Macedonia, and have almost achieved this.They also claim that they are descentants of ancient Macedonians and that Alexander the Great was their ancestor.I will not discuss anything more about this, as it is a prohibitted subject on this forum.But you get the general idea.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Wel, not usually...

Post by karen »

However, from this and other posts on other forums there appears to be a societal intensity we don't see in Canada.
Back in 1994, I think it was, there were several injuries and arrests when Makedonians wanted to lay a wreath on a bust of Alexander, and Greeks objected. (Or maybe it was the other way around.) This was in Toronto. So the intensity can be there.

Peaceably,
Karen
stavros

Re: What's it like there?

Post by stavros »

pankration wrote:Australia is a beautiful country according to my friends who have lived and holidayed there and I want to make the trip one day. However, from this and other posts on other forums there appears to be a societal intensity we don't see in Canada. The rivalries between ethnic groups appear to be on the edge like the Greeks and the Slavo-Macedonians. The political situation also appears to be quite controversial as there are many politicians who appear to take sides on these disputes.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Your right, there is a bit of rivalry between ethnic groups. 99% of the time there is no problem. Problems occur usually at football (soccer) matches, where there are a large number ethnic groups attending and usually a small minority on both sides are the ones causing the trouble.

You do have to remember the Australian media blows everything out of proportion, especially when its linked to ethnic rivalry e.g. Greek vs SlavMacedonian, Serb vs Croat.... even though a small number of participants are creating the trouble at a soccer game for example, the Australian media will blow it out of proportion, most likely for other reasons, but i will not get into that.

Analogy, when there is a cricket game on and there is trouble, u dont hear about it in the media and if u do it was all taken care of by the police??? funny that.

As far as politicians go, they take sides for political votes. e.g. the greek community in Melbourne is massive, if a politician backs the greek side or argument, as has happened in the past, he will win the greek vote, or at least thats what he will intend to do anyway.

cheers

Stavros
Paralus
Chiliarch

Oooh aah, Glen McGrath!

Post by Paralus »

Who mentioned cricket?

Australia 3-346. How you doing Thomas?? Dad's army my arse (given the crap already on this thread, that should go through)!!

Led by the old man Ponting (137 and yet to find a nursing home) the team of old farts are looking good eh??
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Michael.

Hail Alexander Geofrey the Great Boycott.

Alexander has preordained the re introduction of the Bodyline tactics indeed to play fair and painfully dispose those Ausie Cricketers :wink:

kenny.The Hunter of the dreaded Lillies and Thompsons