My Wedding!

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

maciek
Hetairos (companion)

My Wedding!

Post by maciek »

Hello my dearest companions!!
I like to share with You the news that I will have marriage in three weeks from now. It will be 30 of August. To make it not so selfish post, I like to ask You what was wedding customs in ancient Macedonia. Here in Poland we have all very traditional in such occasions but I think of adopting some small custom from their times and use it on my wedding - or wedding party so it would be something what would connect such glorious day for me with our historical passion.
BTW If someone of You would be in that time in Poland I invite warmly!!
Maciek
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Wedding party

Post by ruthaki »

Congratulaions!
I do have some info about the ancient weddings but it's all at home in Canada and I'm still in Greece!
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Thank You very much Ruth!!
Ruth I have moved my text from Your thread because I do not know if You will use it as it is out of the main board now...
Can You tell me when You will be back in Canada? I'm very interested in Your notes.This is my answer to Your last messadge in "Hello from Greece" thread:That's very interesting news Ruth!! I'm curious why then the information about the tomb was so loudly placed in medias. I also always preferred this version that the tomb is Philip's so I'm interested in watching how this will end (if ever will be). Also I will try to visit Bodrum so thanks for those info. Will You be in Antalya Region (Side, Aspendos, Perge and so on)? If so I'm very interested in Your conclusions from there as I will be there for sure from 8 or 10 of August! Have a nice trip Ruth! I'm waiting impatiently for Your next info here!Maciek
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Maciek -Congrats!You asked:
"What was wedding customs in ancient Macedonia?"Well, probably you would have to face some conspiracy by your jealous stephfather's sons in law, stab someone to death, do a little infanticide here and there, get very drunk at the party and threaten your dearest family members with unforgettable abuses or even lethal violence if you like. Your loyal brothers and sisters will end up in exile somewhere in the Ukraine or Belarus.Have a nice day!Nick
smittyzback

Post by smittyzback »

Congratulations on your future marriage Maciek, may it be a happy and beutiful marriage that lasts for ever. I beleieve one Macedonian Custom was the sharing of a loaf of bread.(Curtius I think)..
Suprisingly enough I have been to a modern Macedonian wedding where a similar custom still prevailed [whether this is coincidental, or typical theme for other cultures I'm not sure. I like to think it is :)] The brides parents baked a huge round loaf of bread and as was leaving her house to attend the ceremony, it was required of her to raise the loaf above her head with both hands,and in a twirling dancing motion depart from her home in preperation
for her new life with husband to be.Whether or not this relates to ancient custom I don't know, but thought it was quite interesting .In any case, may your day be a special one for you both!Cheer!
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

CONGRATULATIONS Maciek !!!
Nick-LOL!!!...don't forget that if your niece's father died with no heirs, then you must marry her and by law you must mate at least twice per month (at least according to ancient Greek custom). Otherwise, bring a long sword and cut the bread with her...oh yeah, I amost forgot, she must not speak the same language (especially as your ex-girlfriends).later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Thanks Nick I receive it as a wedding wishes?? ;-)) Well I hope it will be a little better then this...BTW heve You received my e-mail with book excerpt?
Maciek
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Hey guys I know those stories... I meant something what I could use in my own wedding... without killing or being kild by someone... ;-))But thanks for answers!! Maciek
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

That's interesting. We have a similar custom in Poland - we have bread prepared by bride mother (bought in bakery;-))) and we have to kiss the bread before entering to the wedding party place. Or something like that I will know it precisely after two months;-)))Maciek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Nick,That sounds very much like my cousin's wedding last year. The best bit was when the DJ wasn't playing the sort of music anyone wanted to dance to, so he was given to the Agrianians for target practice.How we laughed :-)More seriously - congratulations, Maciek!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hi M. I'll be home Sept 8. Meanwhile use my hotmail address please: wrkozak@hotmail.com if you want any info. I visited Bodrum and Fethiye this trip to Turkey. Previously I've been a couple of times to Ephesus, also Pergamum, Assos, Troy etc etc and several times of course to Istanbul. I love it there and I am sure you will find the sites very interesting. Have a great trip and a lovely wedding. Ruth
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Thank You all companions for Your congratulations!! My girl (soon wife) had great idea to read names and wishes from all postcards, e-mails and forums to all of the participants of the wedding party. I think it's wonderful idea and it will be very nice for me to read Your names in such a moment. This is a year and a half when IGÇÖm with You here in this forum GÇô You all are very important to me. Maciek Milczanowski
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: My Wedding!

Post by davej »

Congratulations on your planned wedding. I have been married for some time myself and thoroughly recommend it. Have some kids too they are great fun.I regret Australia is on the other side of the planet so I can't come as much as I would like to.The Australian wedding tradition is to drink heaps, make a dumb speech then go back to the hotel and shag like monkeys. Ohhhh that may be just mine. Good luck and best wishes to you and your from me and mine.
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Re: My Wedding!

Post by maciek »

HI Dave! thank You very much for wishes. Those were very nice words, and it's pleasure to read things like this. I hope I will be so satisfy as You after few years of my marriage. My future wife is very good person so I thing all depends on me.Thanks again for such kind words!!
Maciek
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Ruth,Greetings! I hope that you are enjoying your summer in Greece. I tried to reach you through your e-mail but it was returned.I want to ask you about your trip to Aristotle's cave or classroom. Could you describe what it looks like? Is it in replica form of the original when Alexander was a student there?Thanks so much,Jan