Palace of Odysseus??

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

sikander
Somatophylax

Palace of Odysseus??

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

Pothosians might enjoy reading this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -real.html

Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Palace of Odysseus??

Post by marcus »

sikander wrote:Greetings,

Pothosians might enjoy reading this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -real.html

Regards,
Sikander
Odysseus was king of Ithaca in the 8th Century BC, we he?

Thanks for this - I was reading some of the stuff over at RogueClassicism about this, as well.

One of my friends runs a TV production company, and they had a pitch a couple of years ago from the guy who reckoned Odysseus was really from Cephalonia. Never went anywhere ... but perhaps now there's more fuel for the fire, so to speak!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Hm.. I should probably read the original paper before shooting my mouth off but there doesn't seem to be any convicing evidence that the Palace had anything to do with any individual called Odysseus (if he existed). Yes, it sounds like the palace Homer described but it is also like a lot of other palaces, so perhaps Homer's description that of just a generic palace or perhaps another palace all together. Anyway, its always cool to find something that old! :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:Hm.. I should probably read the original paper before shooting my mouth off but there doesn't seem to be any convicing evidence that the Palace had anything to do with any individual called Odysseus (if he existed). Yes, it sounds like the palace Homer described but it is also like a lot of other palaces, so perhaps Homer's description that of just a generic palace or perhaps another palace all together. Anyway, its always cool to find something that old! :)
I think it's one of those situations where a palace from a specific time period is discovered, and to make the headline they bring in a reference to a character most people have heard of. If I recall correctly, they were saying the palace is from the Archaic Period, which might almost fit Homer's dates, but surely not Odysseus' if the fall of Troy was supposed to be in the 13th century BC. Maybe I need to re-read all the stuff, but it sounds well dodgy to be citing Odysseus. Still, as I say, it's in the right(ish) place geographically, and the name Odysseus provides the papers with a good headline, however much humbug it might turn out to be.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK