The Parthenon restoration

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Theseus »

Well the Smithsonian magazine has now put the Parthenon restoration on their cover and dedicated 8 pages to it. There are pictures from 1910 , present day and computer generated photos of what it may have looked like thousands of years ago. the article talks about how restoration efforts started in 1898, but ended up hurting the building instead of helping it. The original builders were said to have worked at a level of precision (in some cases accurate within a fraction of a millimeter) without the benefit of modern tools. This is a great article and has such amazing pictures in it. For those interested in the issue it is the Feb 2008 issue and it starts on page 36.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Theseus

Re: The Parthenon restoration

Post by Theseus »

From Feb 13, 2009:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/ ... Museum.php
and:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel ... 937732.ece

I can't put into words how much I would love to see this in person. I need to get to Greece!!!
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

There is a very nice article on the new Acropolis museum Athens in the Sep/Oct issue of Archaelogy magazine. If you are not able to get a copy and are interested I could scan all of the article, which is 6 pages. Here are the first two pages.

Last edited by Theseus on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

I tried to make it bigger but for some reason I can't make it to where you can read it. Maybe some changes have occured since I was last on here and larger images are resized automatically?

Okay it must have been my image hosting site causing the problems so I tried another and it worked so much better.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem