Latin homework

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

Latin homework

Post by dean »

Animula, vagula, blandula,
Hospes comesque corporis,
Quae nunc abibis in loca,
Pallidula, rigida, nudula,
Nec, ut Solis, dabis iocos...

P. Aelius Hadrianus. Imp.
Hi folks,

Just bought a book by Marguerite Yourcenar, "Adrians Memoirs" - and the first page has the above printed on it- so I was just wondering if anyone might have seen it before or possibly be able to enlighten me as to its meaning.

I didn't get summa cum laud awarded for my achievements at school in Latin so any help would be much appreciated. :wink:

Dean
carpe diem
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Latin homework

Post by marcus »

dean wrote:
Animula, vagula, blandula,
Hospes comesque corporis,
Quae nunc abibis in loca,
Pallidula, rigida, nudula,
Nec, ut Solis, dabis iocos...

P. Aelius Hadrianus. Imp.
Hi folks,

Just bought a book by Marguerite Yourcenar, "Adrians Memoirs" - and the first page has the above printed on it- so I was just wondering if anyone might have seen it before or possibly be able to enlighten me as to its meaning.

I didn't get summa cum laud awarded for my achievements at school in Latin so any help would be much appreciated. :wink:

Dean
Off the top of my head, no. I have a copy of the book and I remember looking at that 'rhyme'. I'm pretty sure it is explained somewhere in the book, though.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
val

Post by val »

Hello Dean!

I also have memoirs of Hadrian though not reading it right now. The little text you mention is a poem supposedly written by Hadrian himself as he approached his own death. Searching the Internet, many translations have appeared but, not knowing Latin myself I can not tell you how good they are and, tough all refer more or less to the same ideas, the translations vary.
I am sending you these ones, two in Spanish and two in English so you can know what it is about tough, probably, the best thing to do is to look for a good translation in an anthology of classical poetry. I frequently visit the library, so if I find a good translation I will send it to you.

Pequeña alma, vagabunda y tierna,
huesped y compañera del cuerpo,
¿hacia qué lugares irás ahora?,
tú, pálida, inmóvil y sin protección,
para ya no darme las diversiones que solías ofrecerme.

Pequeña Alma, vagabunda y cariñosa, huésped y compañera del cuerpo, ¿dónde vivirás? En lugares lívidos, severos y desnudos y jamás volverás a animarme como antes

Little, gentle, wandering soul,
My body’s guest and friend,
To what far places are you borne?
Naked, cold and pale.
As the warmth and joy of life,
You loved so slips away.

"Little soul, wandering and pale, guest and companion of my body, you who will now go off to places pale, stiff, and barren, nor will you make jokes as has been your wont."

All the best,
Valeria
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

H Val,

thanks ever so much for this- I must admit that I was surprised to see it without translation in Latin.
It is curious that you mention the translation in Spanish because I have got a Spanish edition- from the Pais newspaper- it looks like it is quite a book.
Muchas Gracias y hasta pronto.
Dean :wink:
carpe diem
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted